Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 19 Apr 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2181224)   #76
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
For those (such as myself!) who hadn't really heard Ben Edwards do any commentary before, I think this is an excellent example of how to do "excited but not annoying":

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K5AoTROb0H0

Great clip regardless!
That just did it for me at the time. He does knowledge and he does excitement. He is the obvious choice. However he was the obvious choice last time, so I don't hold up much hope. Obviously people at ITV aren't that bright, but I fear BBC is now too full of media studies types to get this one right.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2183021)   #77
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well a little bird has told me (completely unofficially of course) that the BBC has received nearly 20 requests not to employ James Allen and none requesting that he's kept on. Quite a few voices calling for Brundle to be retained and Ben Edwards to be taken on. It's still not too late to let Auntie know who you want and what you don't want - it's far more effective to sound off to them than to an Internet forum.

Let's wait and see what happens anyway, I'm still holding out hope that they won't be silly - remember, the folk who work in BBC Sport are sports fans and they will have been watching F1 from the same perspective as us. They'll have shared the same frustrations as us too, so will more than likely want to fix that.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2188142)   #78
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we please lose Louise Goodman.....if I hear her ask any more stupid questions like she did of Martin Whitmarsh today I think I'll explode......
Old 30 Apr 2008, 00:04 (Ref:2190689)   #79
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble
Can we please lose Louise Goodman.....if I hear her ask any more stupid questions like she did of Martin Whitmarsh today I think I'll explode......
Amen to that, she's not an F1 girl by any means. Yuck.

But please not another girl just there for her looks.

We need a Suzi Perrie for F1!!
Old 30 Apr 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2191067)   #80
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
[Quote:Originally Posted by Hubble]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Amen to that, she's not an F1 girl by any means. Yuck.

Very strange statement to say Louise Goodman isn't an F1 girl....she's been involved in motorsport for 20 years starting as a Press Officer for the Leyton House F1 team...remember them?

Last edited by John Turner; 30 Apr 2008 at 14:57.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2191138)   #81
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think minimangler was born then, and I agree that it was a tad harsh a comment about LG.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2191180)   #82
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler

Are saying Suzi Perrie is ugly
Old 30 Apr 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2191189)   #83
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Murray Willis, or was that Wincey? Anyway either a Willis or Bruce Walker. I think I've got that right.
Old 1 May 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2191582)   #84
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Are saying Suzi Perrie is ugly

never
Old 8 Jun 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2223117)   #85
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
After just seeing a clip of (Indian F1 provider) Star Sports commentary, I heard a voice I've not heard for a while - that of Steve Slater.

Not sure how long he's been commentating on the F1 for, but I remember hearing him on "Chequered Flag" (DTM and TOCA Support coverage on Channel4 in the small hours with Will Hoy presenting IIRC). He's excitable, but very knowledgeable - getting that balance right that we see in Ben Edwards and of course Murray.

One to throw into the (totally hypothetical) pot for consideration?
Old 1 Aug 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2261553)   #86
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I've just thought of an outside bet for the anchorman slot: Chris Hollins off of BBC Breakfast. He's been a very abkle sports reader for a few years, done plenty of interviews seems to have plenty of personality and is now actually co hosting the main programme - he is clearly being groomed for bigger things.....
Old 1 Aug 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2261705)   #87
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll do it.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2262210)   #88
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles
I'll do it.
Me too

Can i ask why you say F1 RIP 1950 - 1997

Just wondering why 1997 ?

cheers

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 3 Aug 2008, 17:35 (Ref:2262718)   #89
Cuckoo
Rookie

England
Walsall
Cuckoo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Edwards would be OK!
Can't see the Hamster doing it

Coulthards not doing anything next year!!

As long as it's not Keith Hewen off Sky, although that would at least take him off the NASCAR coverage

Cool I'm starting a campaign for Hewen to the BBC

Having said that the BBC have to get their monies worth, so it's Graham Norton for Steve Ryders Job. Jonathan Woss to replace James Allen. And Gary Lineker to replace Brundle as the pundit
Old 5 Aug 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2263659)   #90
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
Me too

Can i ask why you say F1 RIP 1950 - 1997

Just wondering why 1997 ?

cheers
Twas when slicks were last used and also the final season where wider cars were used.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2269278)   #91
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
For those (such as myself!) who hadn't really heard Ben Edwards do any commentary before, I think this is an excellent example of how to do "excited but not annoying":

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K5AoTROb0H0

Great clip regardless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
That just did it for me at the time. He does knowledge and he does excitement. He is the obvious choice. However he was the obvious choice last time, so I don't hold up much hope. Obviously people at ITV aren't that bright, but I fear BBC is now too full of media studies types to get this one right.
Just read through the thread, very interesting as I am a commentator myself. But not in the UK, so dont worry !

This clip is just PRICELESS!

Ben Edwards is a very, very skilled commentator. Can remember when he made F1 on Eurosport, was it together with Mark Cole?

Love his enthusiasm!!
Old 14 Aug 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2269297)   #92
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say that Jake Humphry's performance on the Olympics must place him very high on the F1 presenters list.
He's relaxed, very much at easy and has totally outshone Adrian Chiles (some people's suggestion) who has muttered and fumbled just about every link I've seen him do on Olympic Breakfast...actually he's quite embarassing when next to the consumate professional that is Hazel Irvine.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2269326)   #93
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just had a thought, in the MotoGP, Dorna have not renewed Eurosports contract officially because they want to make it more accessable to individual countries blah blah blah but the real reason being, the Eurosport commentary was so good that nobody was watching the Dorna feed.

Currently, Toby Moody, Julian Ryder and Randy Mamola will be out of a job. The Beeb could do worse than sign these guys up and allocate them to the F1 & Moto Gp as necessary. Toby M has a history of motorsport commentary. Julian R and Randy M could do the Moto Gp (along with Steve Parish) and ditch Charlie Cliché Cox and Matt whatever his name is (who has no idea what he is talking about). Keep Suzy P - I rather like her I have to say, not sure why...

Check out MotoGPod.com (great podcast of all things MotoGp) for a recent podcast 'Pepsi Challenge' where they compared the various commentaries. Eurosport won hands down.

So:

F1 will be:
Toby Moody and Martin Brundle

Moto GP will be:
Julian, Steve & Randy with the delightful Suzi doing what she currently does.

And the best bit - no feckin' ads!!