Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 20 Jun 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2233613)   #26
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh good god Knowlesy...

Grow up, jeez!

She's not even anything special!
Old 20 Jun 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2233636)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No children allowed in this thread mate, so your comment is ignored.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2234264)   #28
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
Oh good god Knowlesy...

Grow up, jeez!

She's not even anything special!
You wouldn't say no if she offered

I certainly wouldn't either
Old 21 Jun 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2234265)   #29
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Vicki Butler-Henderson talking about things being rorty.
Back in 10 minutes chaps.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 13:34 (Ref:2235707)   #30
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
No comments then?

It wasnt the best one ever. But good start to the season I guess.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2235933)   #31
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The bit with the police cars had me cracking up.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2235955)   #32
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good start to the new season, could be better but they usually start ok and get better
Old 23 Jun 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2236058)   #33
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought it was hilarious- I was ****ing myself throughout (that looks worse on screen than when said).

Liked the references to Dave as well.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2236090)   #34
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I thought it was largely pants. The Ferrari Scuderia feature was a bit dull, the guests were awful, the stunt bit was horrifically bad and I stopped watching during the Police car part.

The news was funny, but I find the whole show is cheapened by Clarksons' outspoken comments. His tendency towards political incorrectness has always been quite refreshing, but now he plays on it to the point that it becomes annoying.

He may as well come out and say "Welcome to Top Gear. Queers! Wops! Krauts! Goodnight".

Still, beats Heartbeat.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2236112)   #35
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I enjoyed it enough. I expect the "hate everything that is popular" brigade will be up in arms though.

By no means the greatest episode ever I admit. Good light entertainment, but it will struggle to match the last series which was just the zenith.

Hammond is even less funnier than the last ten series though, which is some achievement.

I know what you mean about Clarkson Hans - I still think he's great, but I preferred the Clarkson of years ago. He just seemed a bit subtler with his wit, more refreshing and comparitively soft spoken!
Old 23 Jun 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2236149)   #36
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
The guests were hopeless, that didn't help. But otherwise it was a giggle as per.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2236180)   #37
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I wish they'd get rid of 'Star In A Reasonably Priced Car' altogether. I can't help feeling that the ten minutes spent talking to some overly camp no-mark or whoever could be spent so much more wisely...
Old 23 Jun 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2236189)   #38
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I expect the "hate everything that is popular" brigade will be up in arms though.
Too right I am.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 06:23 (Ref:2236322)   #39
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I wish they'd get rid of 'Star In A Reasonably Priced Car' altogether. I can't help feeling that the ten minutes spent talking to some overly camp no-mark or whoever could be spent so much more wisely...
I think it's there just to break up the programme a bit. Besides which, it's sometimes worthwhile. Jimmy Carr pwning Simon Bowel was a highlight of history.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2236370)   #40
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I think it's there just to break up the programme a bit. Besides which, it's sometimes worthwhile. Jimmy Carr pwning Simon Bowel was a highlight of history.
Yes, it all depends on the calibre of the guests. Stephen Fry gave a great interview, as did Rob Brydon, Steve Coogan....etc

JLC and Alan Carr, on the other hand, need to learn that being camp or having a West Country accent isn't funny enough on it's own to sustain a career. You need some sort of talent or wit in addition.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2236508)   #41
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I stopped watching during the Police car part.
That was the highlight- chasing after The Stig

I think it was Clarkson who once said during in an interview with one of his stars in a reasonably priced car that the police have their own way of speaking that no-one else uses. And it's true! That guy explaining the protocol of intercepting a criminal was using the police accent. They just have their own way of talking.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2236634)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Well yes, but the guests are running out. They can't exactly invite them back (yet again) can they?

For every Stephen Fry there are ten 'whoever-the-hell-they-were' last Sunday.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2237042)   #43
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Caught up with this last night, it was "ok," best bit I thought was the police part.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2237071)   #44
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was disturbed that Clarksons tire dagger nearly offed the two others when the tire came off the car.

The star in the car deal gets a bit overused and tiring and takes too long. Almost all the "stars" I've never heard of.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2237156)   #45
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I was disturbed that Clarksons tire dagger nearly offed the two others when the tire came off the car.

The star in the car deal gets a bit overused and tiring and takes too long. Almost all the "stars" I've never heard of.
Im pretty sure the tire going through the middle of them was very well staged..

The stars are pretty "brittish"... I didnt know half of them either untill I started watching brittish telly. I can see how this detracts from the show if aired overseas. But then I see that USA and also AUS both are getting their own Top Gear shows. :/

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2237393)   #46
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
Ive been looking at the information on the "old" top gear... I count 528 30min episodes! They certainly did churn them out. That is 30mins shy of a FULL 11 DAYS non stop Top Gear.

On average 22 a year for 24 years! 2001 and 1997 had 36 episodes!!

My question is.. Were these all original episodes or did they do "best of" episodes in those days also? I am not talking about full repeats.
Much of old TG was Chris Goffey in a brown anorak telling you about Talbot Sambas and where to get hazard warning triangles and Angela Rippon telling you how nicely-coloured the interior of a Lada was. It was not the show we now enjoy. It was earnest and rather dull BBC consumer tedium. Think 'Watchdog' with wheels.

It only started to get entertaining when Tony Mason, Tiff Needell, Clarkson and Quentin Willson turned up.

Last edited by Pete Fenelon; 25 Jun 2008 at 17:08.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2237396)   #47
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Yes, it all depends on the calibre of the guests. Stephen Fry gave a great interview, as did Rob Brydon, Steve Coogan....etc
There've been some great ones, where someone you just don't expect to be quick turns out to be astonishingly competent behind the wheel - Dame Ellen McArthur and Jennifer Saunders come to mind in particular.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 17:33 (Ref:2237416)   #48
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Jennifer Saunders was a big surprise and for me made all the better as it seemed she was genuinely there just for fun. Some of the guests are really only there to plug their latest film/show/book/song.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2240400)   #49
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I don't particularly like the feature, but I think it's taking it a bit far to complain that a British TV show, made by the British Broadcasting Corporation, uses British celebrity guests...

I think the problem with it is that it's generally not very interesting. Every now and then there's a decent guest, but those ones can't come back until they get a new reasonably priced car. Until then we're stuck with unfunny comedians and the like.

Was anybody else shocked by just how sensible last night's show was (stunt man aside)? Actually testing some cars! Without blowing anything up!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 30 Jun 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2240408)   #50
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Waiting to see it on iplayer given the football/NASCAR conflict...