Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Feb 2018, 21:20 (Ref:3798473)   #776
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Yep it peaked for me that year and hasn't felt the same for me since,those two laps gave Nissan the win when it should of been bentleys.just like this year it wasn't audis win,should woulda coulda been Porsche's. hopefully everyone calms down next year and do not drive as bullish. Just my opinion as I didn't enjoy the race as much this year,hopfully Ill enjoy it next year.
2015:
Cautions:*20 for 73 laps
http://racing-reference.info/race/2015-01/X

2018:
16 SCs for 47 laps - from race results page.
https://dpq6glm99k454.cloudfront.net...2H_STD_I_1.pdf
Old 4 Feb 2018, 22:51 (Ref:3798488)   #777
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
2015:
Cautions:*20 for 73 laps
http://racing-reference.info/race/2015-01/X

2018:
16 SCs for 47 laps - from race results page.
https://dpq6glm99k454.cloudfront.net...2H_STD_I_1.pdf
Yep it was alot,and should of ended the race as well.nissan should of not won that one.

This is my opinion that i shared,everyone has their own.i didnt enjoy it as much this year as i did others.i let you guys enjoy the race and didnt post here to not ruin it fir anyone,my opinion is not important.whats important is praying for walsh and a good recovery.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 22:56 (Ref:3798490)   #778
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
I was there, waving the yellows and putting out the SC boards, yes it felt like a lot, but we have to remember Bathurst is basically a street circuit, with very little run off. Minor errors have serious consequences. Safety car or FCY/Code 60 is pretty much compulsory to deal with anything.

However, I feel that those areas at the top of the mountain where the high speed accidents occurred could do with just a couple of metres more run off. No walls hard up against the racing line. I know, destroys heritage, character, challenge etc..but, if you're going to carry on running GT3 cars, some change is inevitable.

That and a bit more driver discipline when yellow yellow flags are displayed. Which is pretty much the problem driving race neutralisation worldwide in any category
Old 4 Feb 2018, 23:49 (Ref:3798500)   #779
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yep it was alot,and should of ended the race as well.nissan should of not won that one.

This is my opinion that i shared,everyone has their own.i didnt enjoy it as much this year as i did others.i let you guys enjoy the race and didnt post here to not ruin it fir anyone,my opinion is not important.whats important is praying for walsh and a good recovery.
Agreed on the drivers.

I appreciate the help in understanding about opinions and you sitting on your hands so we could enjoy a race that didn't seem too different from past races, aside the closing minutes.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3798510)   #780
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What's changed? It's called the intercontinental GT championship and Stephan ratel sticking his nose into somthing special and trying to benefit from it instead of creating his own thing and making it speacial.before Bathurst was mainly Australian teams and drivers with Audi Australia,Erebus Motorsport,vip pet foods,tekno auto sport,maranello motorsport,donut King,Darrell Lea,Marc cars Australia,etc.....

Now that it's part of a championship,there were a lot of European,Asian,and US teams that made up the upper classes.which made it lose its Australian touch,there still is a good amount of Aussie and kiwi drivers.but most of the cars and teams now are those that I can see in the spa and Nurburgring 24 hours,with just the same driving standards and amount of fcy's.to me the race is starting to lose its touch that drew me to it and kept me tuning in year after year, since online streaming started.MT. Panorama is the only thing that makes the race special now,if it was like any other cookie cutter track out there today I wouldn't even bother.

I guess I must of been spoiled by Daytona a week ago....,
Erebus and Tekno no longer operate in GT. Haven't done so for a while. VIP/Darrell Lea (Celtic Motorsport) and Maranello didn't even enter this year. Nothing to do with Mr Ratel's involvement, it's just that the numbers didn't stack up for them in a business sense, to compete.

The SRO affiliation gives the race credibility on a global scale. Without international teams and drivers, you could almost cut the grid in half, and the TV and crowd numbers would also dive accordingly.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 01:06 (Ref:3798524)   #781
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a photo of the Mercedes on Twitter and the damage is catastrophic. Thank god it wasn't a driver side impact, the result isn't worth thinking about.

I wont post the link to the photo because im unsure if it would be acceptable but its not hard to find if you are desperate to view it.

Found this comment interesting from the Sportscar365 report. BMW about to be hit hard with BOP?

***Both BMW GT3s showed a significant pace advantage in the opening hours, with Mostert stretching out to a 50-plus second lead prior to the deluge of full course cautions. The German manufacturer’s performance is understood to have caught the attention of SRO and other GT3 manufacturers, with the cars not able to match the lap times later in the race.

Last edited by tux; 5 Feb 2018 at 01:12.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 01:24 (Ref:3798526)   #782
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
There is a photo of the Mercedes on Twitter and the damage is catastrophic. Thank god it wasn't a driver side impact, the result isn't worth thinking about.

I wont post the link to the photo because im unsure if it would be acceptable but its not hard to find if you are desperate to view it.
That was such a massive it hit, its hard to know if it could be better.

Take my chances in a V8 over that, way more protection in them.

https://twitter.com/Slade2511/status/960057086469070848

Last edited by TWRv12; 5 Feb 2018 at 01:30.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 01:35 (Ref:3798528)   #783
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT4

Havent followed these cars internationally so excuse my ignorance - is the GT4 win by the local team of Longhurst/Brabham/Seton of significance on the international scene.

Mix for we locals, of the old (Tony Longhurst) and the new (Matt Brabham & Aaaron Seton).
Old 5 Feb 2018, 01:35 (Ref:3798530)   #784
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I was there, waving the yellows and putting out the SC boards, yes it felt like a lot, but we have to remember Bathurst is basically a street circuit, with very little run off. Minor errors have serious consequences. Safety car or FCY/Code 60 is pretty much compulsory to deal with anything.

However, I feel that those areas at the top of the mountain where the high speed accidents occurred could do with just a couple of metres more run off. No walls hard up against the racing line. I know, destroys heritage, character, challenge etc..but, if you're going to carry on running GT3 cars, some change is inevitable.

That and a bit more driver discipline when yellow yellow flags are displayed. Which is pretty much the problem driving race neutralisation worldwide in any category
Correct...and unlikely to change in the near term (or my life time, the die having been set!)...but, more importantly...did you enjoy your Bathurst experience Al?
Old 5 Feb 2018, 01:39 (Ref:3798533)   #785
McLarenOz
Rookie

McLarenOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone record the race that may be able to burn to some dvd’s and post them out?
I will pay all costs.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 01:41 (Ref:3798534)   #786
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Localize yellow is almost impossible for the amount of blind corners,and there are no cut outs for tow trucks at the top of the mountain.code 60 is a no go,cars would back up at the scene of the incident and the first cars to get through would get an advantage.
In the past, some Flag Points relayed a Yellow warning to assist with the warning process at the fastest parts of the track.

Laguna...there are several spots at the top of the mountain where emergency and recovery vehicles can stage from...
Old 5 Feb 2018, 01:43 (Ref:3798535)   #787
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
That's one of the nastier wrecks I've seen in a bit.
Quote:

If there's a bit more room to move walls, it could help with impacts of car to car, but we'd still have hard concrete walls to contend with. SAFER barriers could do a lot to help with those impacts but its still just a difficult and dangerous place to race.

I've also seen some suggesting the flashing caution lights. That could certainly help things.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 01:59 (Ref:3798540)   #788
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Found this comment interesting from the Sportscar365 report. BMW about to be hit hard with BOP?

***Both BMW GT3s showed a significant pace advantage in the opening hours, with Mostert stretching out to a 50-plus second lead prior to the deluge of full course cautions. The German manufacturer’s performance is understood to have caught the attention of SRO and other GT3 manufacturers, with the cars not able to match the lap times later in the race.
The funny thing is, the only time the M6 has been relatively competitive in Australia, is at Bathurst. It's usually off the pace, or unreliable. Different story elsewhere in the world though.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 02:00 (Ref:3798541)   #789
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Havent followed these cars internationally so excuse my ignorance - is the GT4 win by the local team of Longhurst/Brabham/Seton of significance on the international scene.

Mix for we locals, of the old (Tony Longhurst) and the new (Matt Brabham & Aaaron Seton).
The other GT4 M4 was quicker than the orange car by some way...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Feb 2018, 02:01 (Ref:3798542)   #790
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The funny thing is, the only time the M6 has been relatively competitive in Australia, is at Bathurst. It's usually off the pace, or unreliable. Different story elsewhere in the world though.
Budget/Prep/Pilot? Or a combination?
Old 5 Feb 2018, 02:21 (Ref:3798545)   #791
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
In the past, some Flag Points relayed a Yellow warning to assist with the warning process at the fastest parts of the track.

Laguna...there are several spots at the top of the mountain where emergency and recovery vehicles can stage from...
I thought a light tower was put up on the mountain in the accident spot to help with incidents like this.

Was it taken down at some stage as part of he track upgrades
Old 5 Feb 2018, 02:47 (Ref:3798554)   #792
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sore Martin sorry for Bathurst crash
Old 5 Feb 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3798576)   #793
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That's good to know,I have seen Holden emergency vehicles in small cut outs at the top.but in previous races the recovery vehicles came out of pitlane and drove up to the mountain.so if there is room for sure they should be staged up there,if not I don't see any way local yellow or code 60 could work when there is an incident any were up,on,or down the mountain.if the track gets blocked like it did several times,any one that gets passed the incident will get an advantage...
Old 5 Feb 2018, 05:33 (Ref:3798580)   #794
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Fastest Bathurst 12 Hour laps:
1) 2:01.9575 - C. Mostert
2) 2:02.0628 - C. Mostert
3) 2:02.1302 - C. Mostert
4) 2:02.1654 - C. Mostert
5) 2:02.1975 - C. Mostert
6) 2:02.2504 - C. Mostert
7) 2:02.4264 - C. Mostert
8) 2:02.6426 - C. Mostert
9) 2:02.7409 - C. Mostert
10) 2:02.7417 - C. Mostert
11) 2:02.8385 - C. Mostert
12) 2:02.9321 - M. Winklehock

So, what was that about Hindy saying something about seeing how the Supercars drivers would stack up to the best in the world?

GT3 cars are stupid easy for a Supercars driver to steer in comparison to what they're normally driving.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 05:42 (Ref:3798582)   #795
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Correct...and unlikely to change in the near term (or my life time, the die having been set!)...but, more importantly...did you enjoy your Bathurst experience Al?
Did I enjoy it Mick?
Posts 2, 11 and 18 over the 3 days, too true I enjoyed it. If I win the lotto I'm coming back.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3798588)   #796
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

So, what was that about Hindy saying something about seeing how the Supercars drivers would stack up to the best in the world?

GT3 cars are stupid easy for a Supercars driver to steer in comparison to what they're normally driving.
All out of the first stints no doubt..
Old 5 Feb 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3798589)   #797
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The 67 has stopped in front of us with coolant leaking from a damaged radiator.
You should have waved. I was helping cover the oil spill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
There's always been numerous cautions at Bathurst but after a clean first hour and a half after the first SC, these have come in very quick succession.
It was apparently all my fault. Every time I picked up a blue flag it went SC. We even changed the rota on occasions and it still happened. Apart from one stint mid race I think I only waved the blue a dozen times. However I am now very good at holding an SC board!

Quote:
Did I enjoy it Mick?
Posts 2, 11 and 18 over the 3 days, too true I enjoyed it. If I win the lotto I'm coming back.
Same here. Awesome place, no amount of tv coverage prepares you for the elevation changes, it's much steeper and more difficult than you can ever imagine.

Huge thanks also to the local marshals who made us feel very welcome. Definitely one of the great experiences of my life.

Other than the Porsche driving experience sessions. Don't care if I never see that again. 2½ hours waste of my time Race day more than made up for it, though.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3798593)   #798
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I thought a light tower was put up on the mountain in the accident spot to help with incidents like this.

Was it taken down at some stage as part of he track upgrades
I was going to ask about light towers supplementing Marshal posts. Their inclusion has been a real asset at some circuits I've raced. Are there any on The Mountain? They need to be triggered by a marshal or RC, of course, but can be put in positions where it would be too dangerous for people to stand, and be right in the drivers eye line. Utilising two Safety Cars works on really long circuits, Spa for instance, but not sure needed at Bathurst. I've also experienced racing with 'Slow Zones' at Le Mans Classic, but they need policing very strictly, like Code 60 does.

With International interest / support comes more competition, and the circuit is, as said previously, almost a street circuit in places. (Not exactly Macau fortunately, which I remember being the scene of some huge shunts!) I was amazed looking down the entry list how seriously Audi, Porsche, Mercedes and maybe BMW were taking the Bathurst race. The 12hr is no longer a domestic non-championship event, which brings pluses and minuses.....

Oh, and glad you enjoyed the trip, Woolley!
Old 5 Feb 2018, 07:45 (Ref:3798598)   #799
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Some clumsy driving there unfortunately.
Probably just a preview of what is to come in Supercars this year from the 3 loose cannons now employed by Tickford Racing.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3798600)   #800
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Given that Winkelhock was the second quickest driver according to this post, I think it says more about Mostert and his abilities than Supercars drivers in general.

It was a cracking opening stint from him for the second year in a row. Charlie Lamb was very glowing in his remarks for Chaz about the way he helped Farfus get used to the track on Friday.

---

My 6th time at the 12hr this year, great weekend as usual and was wonderful to meet or catchup with some fellow posters, definitely some things I didn't like this year and some of the ways the event seems to be trending doesn't excite me, but i'll be back in 2019 to do it all again