Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Feb 2018, 10:29 (Ref:3798634)   #801
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
You should have waved. I was helping cover the oil spill.
During that safety car period I could hear one bloke with an English accent and wondered for a split second if it was you!
Old 5 Feb 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3798656)   #802
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Managed to catch the first two hours 'live' on the stream until my router decided that it didn't like being used continuously!

Watched the rest of the race on Sunday here in the UK and really enjoyed most of it. Some great racing between cars that were not necessarily well matched - great to see the Viper pulling away from GT3 s down Conrod!

Mostert in a class of his own during the first couple of hours - M6 has always been quick at places where it can stretch it legs - Spa for example - but often struggles on the tighter stuff - Brands Hatch for instance.

Too many SCs - of course - but in most of the instances I don't think that there really was any alternative. In any race where there are such diverse levels of performance you are always going to get issues - throw in probably one of the most difficult tracks in the world then there are always going to be incidents aplenty.

I think that if you want the race to be this 'big' and internationally recognised then it comes at a price. Go back to the days of Group A when all the Europeans came out in the 80's and the big crashes happened just as much then but the cars were all going 20 secs slower then. I still remember the video of Tow Walkinshaw on two wheels across the top in qualifying in the XJS - awesome lap!

Shame about the final outcome - was really looking forward to a Porsche 1/2/3 at least.

This was what an endurance race should be though - had pretty much everything - uncertainty right until the end, multiple possible winners, different strategies playing out with fuel etc and some top class fast laps by the world best drivers in the fastest GT3 cars.

All in all, top class entertainment and a very well done to everybody who made it possible for all of us not in Australia to watch it live and without adverts and with the usual top class, in my opinion, commentary from the RLM boys!
Old 5 Feb 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3798658)   #803
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
It still seems a little cheap but I guess that's Motor Racing sometimes.
It would have been cheap if they really had stopped the clock and run the final few minutes more than 12hrs after the race had started.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3798665)   #804
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
It would have been cheap if they really had stopped the clock and run the final few minutes more than 12hrs after the race had started.
Totally agree. Seems as they thought about it for a minute when they stopped th clock, but I was excited for the fuel mileage situation even under yellow. Then that was removed along with a green finish, but understandably so.

Quote:
It was apparently all my fault. Every time I picked up a blue flag it went SC. We even changed the rota on occasions and it still happened. Apart from one stint mid race I think I only waved the blue a dozen times. However I am now very good at holding an SC board!
come on!!!

Glad you enjoyed it! I hope to one day make it...
Old 5 Feb 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3798768)   #805
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I was going to ask about light towers supplementing Marshal posts. Their inclusion has been a real asset at some circuits I've raced. Are there any on The Mountain? They need to be triggered by a marshal or RC, of course, but can be put in positions where it would be too dangerous for people to stand, and be right in the drivers eye line. Utilising two Safety Cars works on really long circuits, Spa for instance, but not sure needed at Bathurst. I've also experienced racing with 'Slow Zones' at Le Mans Classic, but they need policing very strictly, like Code 60 does.

With International interest / support comes more competition, and the circuit is, as said previously, almost a street circuit in places. (Not exactly Macau fortunately, which I remember being the scene of some huge shunts!) I was amazed looking down the entry list how seriously Audi, Porsche, Mercedes and maybe BMW were taking the Bathurst race. The 12hr is no longer a domestic non-championship event, which brings pluses and minuses.....

Oh, and glad you enjoyed the trip, Woolley!
The whole thing is a street circuit!
Old 5 Feb 2018, 19:57 (Ref:3798813)   #806
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The whole thing is a street circuit!
OK, by one definition.....
Old 5 Feb 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3798818)   #807
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is good to be getting news that Ash Walsh and John Martin are going to be ok. It appears that they both received 'relatively' minor injuries.

Does any one know if yellow flags were out when car 19 came through? I didnt see them in any footage that I saw. Maybe the cars need yellow lights in the cars to notify the driver. That is a tricky spot to be watching for flags.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3798832)   #808
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Did I enjoy it Mick?
Posts 2, 11 and 18 over the 3 days, too true I enjoyed it. If I win the lotto I'm coming back.
Good to hear Al...there are other very good Marshalling experiences to be had down under...don't be a stranger lad!! Cheers, Mick
Old 5 Feb 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3798836)   #809
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I thought a light tower was put up on the mountain in the accident spot to help with incidents like this.

Was it taken down at some stage as part of he track upgrades
Yes they have been tried in the past...but in this case, Race Control were a little slow to react anyway...local yellows were displayed AFAIK...but knowing the vagaries and difficulty of communications around this street circuit...excreta occurs...

I have called priority and been "put on hold" in the past...I have also had trouble communicating with Flag Points around the track from R/C...

It is about a 5 times a year full racing circuit...and it has its communication challenges...

This in no way excuses Drivers not heeding a waved yellow
Old 5 Feb 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3798837)   #810
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Yes they have been tried in the past...but in this case, Race Control were a little slow to react anyway...local yellows were displayed AFAIK...but knowing the vagaries and difficulty of communications around this street circuit...excreta occurs...

I have called priority and been "put on hold" in the past...I have also had trouble communicating with Flag Points around the track from R/C...

It is about a 5 times a year full racing circuit...and it has its communication challenges...

This in no way excuses Drivers not heeding a waved yellow
Is the light tower still there?

many posters elsewhere are suggesting there were no yellow flags dispalyed until John Martin went past (based on the video evidence). John himself is claiming he didnt see any yellow flags
Old 5 Feb 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3798842)   #811
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
[QUOTE=peckstar;3798837]

Is the light tower still there?

Dunno, but if it was a mobile screen I have seen in the past it is probably now down the bottom of the hill in a shed!

many posters elsewhere are suggesting there were no yellow flags dispalyed until John Martin went past (based on the video evidence). John himself is claiming he didnt see any yellow flags

As I said, heard second-hand that Flags were out...do the TV watching "people" a) know where to look? and how far back from the wall the points are? c) did the camera on zoom include the flag points in its field of view etc etc
Old 5 Feb 2018, 22:58 (Ref:3798849)   #812
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The footage I've seen, suggests that the yellow flag wasn't shown until the #19 Merc was already on the scene.

My understanding is that the yellow flag for that sector wasn't shown unti approximately 5 seconds after the Audi and Marc Mazda came to rest. That's a relatively long time, when cars are approaching the scene blind, at speeds of over 200klm/h.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 23:00 (Ref:3798850)   #813
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Shocking if true.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 23:16 (Ref:3798852)   #814
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I was watching on the TV (not the stream which was slightly delayed) and had live timing open on my computer. The live timing showed yellow as soon as the very first impact happened. It was showing yellow on the timing screen prior to any mention of the crash on the TV commentary.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 23:19 (Ref:3798855)   #815
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I was watching on the TV (not the stream which was slightly delayed) and had live timing open on my computer. The live timing showed yellow as soon as the very first impact happened. It was showing yellow on the timing screen prior to any mention of the crash on the TV commentary.
I had the delay (TV to live timing) at about 20 seconds though
Old 5 Feb 2018, 23:33 (Ref:3798858)   #816
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Shocking if true.
https://www.facebook.com/Josh.Muggo/...5069035091583/
Old 5 Feb 2018, 23:37 (Ref:3798860)   #817
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
mmmmm. It looks like a yellow flag being carried back to the marshall point, maybe it was someones t shirt, but.....

would explain the time gap (i have it at 11 seconds based on the footage)
Old 5 Feb 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3798861)   #818
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
mmmmm. It looks like a yellow flag being carried back to the marshall point, maybe it was someones t shirt, but.....

would explain the time gap (i have it at 11 seconds based on the footage)
Some that I've spoken to believe it was a flag, others don't, but all that aside the footage clearly shows that the yellow isn't waved until after the Merc passes the flag point.

Not pointing fingers, playing the blame game or saying I'd do better, just an observation.

At a club level here in QLD, race control has direct pit to car communication that takes priority over the team radio, keeping drivers constantly updated of any troubles on track. Might be worth looking into something similar?
Old 6 Feb 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3798899)   #819
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Drivers call for improved safety at Mt Panorama
Old 6 Feb 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3798956)   #820
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
During that safety car period I could hear one bloke with an English accent and wondered for a split second if it was you!
Yep, that would have been me.

Quote:
I'd guess from what I now know of Aussie marshalling that would be the sector marshal heading to the post. Clearance has to be given before going trackside. It does appear that the flag doesn't go out until then, but it's not clear. With a car literally landing at their feet, you can't discount they'd taken cover first and it takes a little time to get your head back in the game after a near miss before taking the normal action.

It does seem that particular corner is a problem and it would be most useful if the primary safety measures could be amended so that cars don't end up in the middle of the track. Haven't seen that particular spot so I don't know what's possible. A car's length of off track space would make a big difference.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3799121)   #821
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I'd guess from what I now know of Aussie marshalling that would be the sector marshal heading to the post. Clearance has to be given before going trackside. It does appear that the flag doesn't go out until then, but it's not clear. With a car literally landing at their feet, you can't discount they'd taken cover first and it takes a little time to get your head back in the game after a near miss before taking the normal action.

It does seem that particular corner is a problem and it would be most useful if the primary safety measures could be amended so that cars don't end up in the middle of the track. Haven't seen that particular spot so I don't know what's possible. A car's length of off track space would make a big difference.
Motor Racing is Dangerous...

this bingle is by no means the worst crash to ever happen (even) at the top of the mountain since the 1960s.

I wonder if the "drivers" interviewed are also lobbying to tilke-a-fy the Nordschliefe etc back home?

Sector Marshals can act independently and are on a separate communications link to the Flag Marshals...as soon as any official is on the track, they should be covered by a waved yellow....all other officials need to get permission before jumping the fence...

Flag Points 8.0 and 9.0 (possibly 7.0 as a relay?) should have reacted to the stalled car immediately by waved yellow(s)...no need for these points to take cover, the incident was past them...
Old 6 Feb 2018, 23:20 (Ref:3799137)   #822
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Motor Racing is Dangerous...

this bingle is by no means the worst crash to ever happen (even) at the top of the mountain since the 1960s.

I wonder if the "drivers" interviewed are also lobbying to tilke-a-fy the Nordschliefe etc back home?
Yes, but we have seen it before when something really bad happens, the impossible issue, suddenly has a solution.

Way pass time for some of the properties in the dodgiest areas of the track to be bought out or compulsory purchased by the Council.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 06:37 (Ref:3799212)   #823
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
or compulsory purchased by the Council.
Highly unlikely the council will want to be seen to be doing that.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 07:23 (Ref:3799221)   #824
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Highly unlikely the council will want to be seen to be doing that.
Especially to my knowledge anyway given the few properties involved are all large houses on land, no doubt all owned by very influential locals.
Im sure the council would have a dont crap on your own doorstep approach.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3799253)   #825
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
2018 Bathurst 12 Hour LIVE - Race Part 1 #B12h