Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Sep 2021, 23:14 (Ref:4072691)   #276
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is an internet discussion forum at its peak!
Old 8 Sep 2021, 23:25 (Ref:4072695)   #277
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
It's Alfa Romeo.

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/team.html
Old 8 Sep 2021, 23:28 (Ref:4072696)   #278
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think there's more chance of GR winning the WDC next season than there is of seeing DR near the podium for GR's first win.
So you think that Russell beating Hamilton and Verstappen to the title over the course of 20+ races is more likely that Ricciardo finishing on the podium for Russell's first win? Interesting.
Old 8 Sep 2021, 23:50 (Ref:4072697)   #279
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well there is only one chance for him to be on the podium with the first win, and so far he has not covered himself in glory in the McLaren while his teammate has a few podium appearances.

I would give GR a VERY slight chance at winning but a zero percent chance to Ric beating out LH, MV and likely LN, SP for that podium spot.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 00:31 (Ref:4072699)   #280
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Well there is only one chance for him to be on the podium with the first win, and so far he has not covered himself in glory in the McLaren while his teammate has a few podium appearances.

I would give GR a VERY slight chance at winning but a zero percent chance to Ric beating out LH, MV and likely LN, SP for that podium spot.

If I had the time and mental energy to figure out the % likelihood of DR and GR sharing the podium for GR's first win vs GR winning the title I'd do it.... but I'm sure there is some genius on here that could figure it out precisely

If GR wins early in the season, there is an increased likelihood of a "different" podium, without even factoring in improvement from McLaren & Ricciardo.

We can all agree though that the chance of either can be classified as 'low'.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 00:45 (Ref:4072701)   #281
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I swear there is a video somewhere that I can't find right now. I think it might be on the official Formula 1 channel. Regardless, they are talking to team bosses and I think they are asking them to introduce themselves and they are struggling to say the right sequence of words for the team names and are looking to someone beside them (probably whoever their press secretary is) to help them.

It doesn't help when you team name is something like...

"Budweiser Bud Light Platinum Racing powered by Oracle NetSuite"

Are you Budweiser Racing, Bud Light Racing, Platinum Racing, Bud Racing, Oracle Racing, NetSuite Racing or maybe all of those at the same time?

Richard
It's on "Drive to Survive" - think might have been Season 2 but could be Season 3 - was a bit of a running joke with team owners and drivers struggling to get their team names right.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 00:52 (Ref:4072703)   #282
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
It's on "Drive to Survive" - think might have been Season 2 but could be Season 3 - was a bit of a running joke with team owners and drivers struggling to get their team names right.
Thank you. Now I don't have to go to sleep wondering where I saw that!

Richard
Old 9 Sep 2021, 00:53 (Ref:4072704)   #283
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
So now we have Albon confirmed at Williams, but another team with no mention of engine manufacturer in its press release. Hmmm?
No need to mention next year's engine in the PR material about driver signing - given that the increased relationship between Mercedes and Williams for 2022 has been previously announced and as a result is referenced in this Autosport article as an example.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 01:18 (Ref:4072705)   #284
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
If I had the time and mental energy to figure out the % likelihood of DR and GR sharing the podium for GR's first win vs GR winning the title I'd do it.... but I'm sure there is some genius on here that could figure it out precisely

If GR wins early in the season, there is an increased likelihood of a "different" podium, without even factoring in improvement from McLaren & Ricciardo.

We can all agree though that the chance of either can be classified as 'low'.
But FAR exceeds my ability to calculate and determine such likelihoods
Old 9 Sep 2021, 01:30 (Ref:4072706)   #285
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
No need to mention next year's engine in the PR material about driver signing - given that the increased relationship between Mercedes and Williams for 2022 has been previously announced and as a result is referenced in this Autosport article as an example.

Yes but that doesn't make it fun to speculate that Team Sauber Alfa Romeo Orlen Ferrari is being powered by Tin Foil PUs next year!
Old 9 Sep 2021, 01:41 (Ref:4072707)   #286
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’ve just read a fact on the internet. I’ve not checked it, but hey, it’s on the internet why would I need to. I liked the fact. It is superficially interesting, but means nothing.

Lewis Hamilton team mates:
Alonso - 1 year
Kovalainen - 2 years
Button - 3 years
Rosberg- 4 years
Bottas - 5 years

https://twitter.com/_supergt/status/...791915521?s=21
Old 9 Sep 2021, 01:49 (Ref:4072708)   #287
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’ve just read a fact on the internet. I’ve not checked it, but hey, it’s on the internet why would I need to. I liked the fact. It is superficially interesting, but means nothing.

Lewis Hamilton team mates:
Alonso - 1 year
Kovalainen - 2 years
Button - 3 years
Rosberg- 4 years
Bottas - 5 years

https://twitter.com/_supergt/status/...791915521?s=21
Cool stat. Shame for symmetry purposes that Russell will likely be 2.

Unless Hamilton pulls a Rosberg this year
Old 9 Sep 2021, 02:13 (Ref:4072709)   #288
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well his last 2 were 4 then 5 so maybe 6 for GR?
Old 9 Sep 2021, 02:31 (Ref:4072712)   #289
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Yes but that doesn't make it fun to speculate that Team Sauber Alfa Romeo Orlen Ferrari is being powered by Tin Foil PUs next year!
Rubber bands and balsa wood, along with clockwork springs - that's the real truth behind Team Sauber Alfa Romeo Orlen Ferrari powerplants for next year - you read it here first!!
Old 9 Sep 2021, 07:20 (Ref:4072731)   #290
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Daimler AG doesn’t own an F1 team, so no.

Almost everybody I know calls Alpine “the Enstone team.”
Not wholly - the team is 1/3 Daimler, 1/3 INEOS and 1/3 Wolff.
So why call it Mercedes AMG? Because that is the name that the team is registered as - in the same way that the team running the C41 is registered as Alfa Romeo Racing Orlen.

It just seems strange that you single out Alfa Romeo in not using their registered name, but don't follow suit with other teams on the grid?
Old 9 Sep 2021, 07:27 (Ref:4072732)   #291
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Not wholly - the team is 1/3 Daimler, 1/3 INEOS and 1/3 Wolff.
So why call it Mercedes AMG? Because that is the name that the team is registered as - in the same way that the team running the C41 is registered as Alfa Romeo Racing Orlen.

It just seems strange that you single out Alfa Romeo in not using their registered name, but don't follow suit with other teams on the grid?
Yeah, nobody calls them Mercedes AMG though do they.

Nicely ignored that hardly anyone in the paddock uses the Alpine name, and not even that many referred to them as Renault. They’ll always be Enstone.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 07:37 (Ref:4072733)   #292
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So you think that Russell beating Hamilton and Verstappen to the title over the course of 20+ races is more likely that Ricciardo finishing on the podium for Russell's first win? Interesting.
I do - and that was without any real analysis as such. Mainly based on the fact that Ricciardo has been absent from the podium for 64 of his last 66 starts.

Looking at the statistics a bit more closely, Ricciardo has had 31 podiums in his career - none of them have been on the same occasion as a driver taking their first win. And since 2018, the periodicity of his time on the podium is decreasing.

Then looking at WDC winners in history - since 1980 alone, Rosberg, Senna, Prost, Räikkönen, and (depending on how you view the team) Button have all taken a WDC in their first season with a new team.

Do I think either is likely? Far from it. But I think there is more chance of a WDC for Russell in 2022, than Ricciardo being on the podium for his first win.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 07:42 (Ref:4072734)   #293
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Nicely ignored that hardly anyone in the paddock uses the Alpine name, and not even that many referred to them as Renault. They’ll always be Enstone.
Not ignoring it - I'm just not in the paddock so can't comment on what happens 'on the inside'.

What I do know is that I have not heard anyone refer to the team as Renault, Toleman, Lotus or anything else other than Alpine this season, with the occasional not to them being a derivative of the Enstone-based registration.

On commentary, I hear the respective teams referred to as Merc (or Mercedes-Benz), Alpine and Alfa (or Alfa Romeo).
Old 9 Sep 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4072740)   #294
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also think part of the Alfa Romeo/Sauber naming thing is that there are currently 2 teams called Alfa/Alpha on the grid.
While they are spelt differently, that doesn't stop plenty of people online typing Alfa Tauri or Alpha Romeo.

Also, though the F1 teams are called Alfa Romeo and Alpine, the reason for those names are very different, which to some fans means the 'legitimacy' of the names is different. Quite a lot of fans seem to feel far better about Renault naming the team after one of its own brands, rather than Alfa Romeo simply sponsoring its way on to the grid.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 08:57 (Ref:4072748)   #295
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Also, though the F1 teams are called Alfa Romeo and Alpine, the reason for those names are very different, which to some fans means the 'legitimacy' of the names is different. Quite a lot of fans seem to feel far better about Renault naming the team after one of its own brands, rather than Alfa Romeo simply sponsoring its way on to the grid.
I think this point is one that is very interesting.
A lot of (all) teams on the grid can trace their existence back to a previous incarnation, and the amount of sponsorship compared to ownership is a complex one.
I'm sure we all have our own opinions on what a team should be called - and the summary below is presented as a discussion point, not a definitive list:
Registered NameConstructorCommon NameGenesisInterims
Alfa Romeo Racing OrlenAlfa Romeo RacingAlfa RomeoSauber F1 TeamSauber Mercedes,Red Bull Sauber, BMW Sauber...
Scuderia AlphaTauri HondaAlphaTauriAlphaTauriMinardiToro Rosso, Red Bull Toro Rosso...
Alpine F1 TeamAlpineAlpineTolemanBenetton, Renault, Lotus, Lotus Renault...
Aston Martin Cognizant F1 TeamAston MartinAston MartinJordanMidland, Spyker, (Sahara) Force India, Racing Point Force India, Racing Point F1...
Scuderia Ferrari Mission WinnowFerrariFerrariFerrariN/A...
Uralkali Haas F1 TeamHaasHaasHaasN/A...
McLaren F1 TeamMcLarenMcLarenBruce McLaren Motor RacingHonda Marlboro McLaren, West McLaren Mercedes, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes...
Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 TeamMercedesMercedes (Benz)Tyrrell RacingBAR, Honda Racing F1 Team, Brawn GP, Mercedes GP...
Red Bull Racing HondaRed Bull RacingRed BullStewart Grand PrixJaguar Racing, Infiniti Red Bull, Aston Martin Red Bull...
Williams RacingWilliamsWilliamsWilliams Grand Prix EngineeringAlbilad-Saudi Racing Team, Canon Williams, Rothmans Williams, Winfield Williams, BMW Williams, Williams Martini Racing...

I also think part of the comments regarding the team 'Enstone' stems from the Renault / Lotus naming incidents.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 10:47 (Ref:4072764)   #296
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'll give it a crack

Assuming (due to non confirmation of races yet):

20 drivers
22 races (as scheduled for 2021, but subject to change)

DR has a 3/20 chance of being on the podium in any position at any race. If we factor in GR's position being 1st (so statistical chance being 1/20), that comes down to 2/19 as there's one driver removed from the equation - George. Assuming the number of drivers stays the same throughout the season, those ratios stay the same.

So at any given race, we have:

GR 1st: 1/20 (p=0.050)
DR 2nd or 3rd: 2/19 (p=0.10526)

Taken together, that gives us a probability of 0.050 * 0.10526: p=0.00526

Meaning that for any given race, there's a half a percent chance that GR will win and DR on the podium.

HOWEVER

It gets a bit more complicated when we factor in the length of the season. George's chance of being on the top step of the podium for the first time gets better as the season progresses.

Before the season starts, he has a chance in 1/22 races (p=0.45450)
After race 1, the chance is 1/21 (p=0.04761)
After race 2, the chance is 1/20 (p=0.05000)
and so on, until the final race where his chance per race is 1/1 (p=1.0000)

HOWEVER AGAIN!

This has to be combined with the "any given race" probability, which was half a percent (give or take), which gives:

Race Percent chance
1 0.02%
2 0.05%
3 0.07%
4 0.10%
5 0.12%
6 0.14%
7 0.17%
8 0.19%
9 0.22%
10 0.24%
11 0.26%
12 0.29%
13 0.31%
14 0.33%
15 0.36%
16 0.38%
17 0.41%
18 0.43%
19 0.45%
20 0.48%
21 0.50%
22 0.53%

Not as high as you might think!

My maths is probably wrong though...
Old 9 Sep 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4072825)   #297
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
the summary below is presented as a discussion point, not a definitive list:
Registered NameConstructorCommon NameGenesisInterims
Alfa Romeo Racing OrlenAlfa Romeo RacingAlfa RomeoSauber F1 TeamSauber Mercedes,Red Bull Sauber, BMW Sauber...
Scuderia AlphaTauri HondaAlphaTauriAlphaTauriMinardiToro Rosso, Red Bull Toro Rosso...
Alpine F1 TeamAlpineAlpineTolemanBenetton, Renault, Lotus, Lotus Renault...
Aston Martin Cognizant F1 TeamAston MartinAston MartinJordanMidland, Spyker, (Sahara) Force India, Racing Point Force India, Racing Point F1...
Scuderia Ferrari Mission WinnowFerrariFerrariFerrariN/A...
Uralkali Haas F1 TeamHaasHaasHaasN/A...
McLaren F1 TeamMcLarenMcLarenBruce McLaren Motor RacingHonda Marlboro McLaren, West McLaren Mercedes, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes...
Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 TeamMercedesMercedes (Benz)Tyrrell RacingBAR, Honda Racing F1 Team, Brawn GP, Mercedes GP...
Red Bull Racing HondaRed Bull RacingRed BullStewart Grand PrixJaguar Racing, Infiniti Red Bull, Aston Martin Red Bull...
Williams RacingWilliamsWilliamsWilliams Grand Prix EngineeringAlbilad-Saudi Racing Team, Canon Williams, Rothmans Williams, Winfield Williams, BMW Williams, Williams Martini Racing...
Thats cool... has anyone done a full family tree of the teams that have come and gone and those sho changed identies all the way back
Ferrari being a pole.
Some teams line the team formerly known as racing point has changed names and owners so many times i cant remember when and who it wass at first
Old 9 Sep 2021, 18:33 (Ref:4072848)   #298
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
There were plenty of rumours in Zandvoort of Zhou and Renault to Sauber/Alfa! Who knows…
A good source told me today that Zhou’s Dad has agreed to pay €30 million for the drive. No idea on engine, but Mr Zhou is a Ferrari nut. Mind you, so was Lawrence Strulovich.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 19:06 (Ref:4072852)   #299
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
A good source told me there's a bridge for sale, interested??
Old 9 Sep 2021, 21:27 (Ref:4072865)   #300
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
A good source told me there's a bridge for sale, interested??
But I’m in the paddock, not your bedroom.