Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Jan 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1496989)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Help needed for Marshals Training

I'm not sure if any of you can help here, but I have a video clip which I need transferring to DVD for training purposes. Has anyone got the facilities to do this? Please PM or e-mail me if you can assist.

Thanks

Sheila
Old 7 Jan 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1497004)   #2
curboro
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
curboro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheila.
If you email me the clip or tell me where it is on a website, I could burn to CD or DVD for you.
Email to steve@curborough.co.uk

Steve
Old 7 Jan 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1497008)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by curboro
Sheila.
If you email me the clip or tell me where it is on a website, I could burn to CD or DVD for you.
Email to steve@curborough.co.uk

Steve
Steve, thanks for the offer but at present it's on a video - is that still possible?

Sheila
Old 7 Jan 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1497017)   #4
curboro
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
curboro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheila,

I am afraid I do not have a DVD recorder at present, can only cope with files already converted.
Sorry

Steve
Old 7 Jan 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1497019)   #5
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheila, I will do some asking around, when do you need it for, I was going to buy one anyway!
Old 7 Jan 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1497026)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Get in touch with Richard Hay - TVR Driver, TV Company Co-Owner and a friend of the marshals!
Old 7 Jan 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1497037)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sheila, just a thought - have you contacted the copyright holder (a) for permission and (b) to see if they can help with a DVD?
Old 8 Jan 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1497239)   #8
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Sheila, just a thought - have you contacted the copyright holder (a) for permission and (b) to see if they can help with a DVD?
Am I not right in saying that If you still poses the original you don't need permission (i.e. It would be a back up copy)
Old 8 Jan 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1497247)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you are using it for marshals training though it implies it will be for something other than personal use, which is what you are allowed to record things off the telly for generally. If in doubt, it would only be courteous to check.
Old 8 Jan 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1497263)   #10
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm guessing that possibly what Sheila has is footage from a circuit camera rather than TV footage? It needs to be converted from the TV/VHS format to a file that can be played through a PC DVD player using something like Windows Media Player?

Sheila try the Photography Forum - Mike Hoyer's brother produced a good Le Mans .wav file last year so he might have the right gear. If you get stuck I've got another source of info that might be helpful.
Old 8 Jan 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1497272)   #11
marcosmantula
Rookie

United Kingdom
South West
marcosmantula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Shelia,

If you haven't sorted this out already I would be able to do it. PM me and I'll give you my details to send the video, unless it would be possible to pick it up at the Autosport show on Friday.

Cheers,

Neal
Old 8 Jan 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1497418)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:

Errrrm, ah well, errr, no But there again, they didn't ask my permission to star in it in the first place!
Old 8 Jan 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1497423)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Errrrm, ah well, errr, no But there again, they didn't ask my permission to star in it in the first place!
Ahh would that be your staring moment in racing rivals?!
Old 8 Jan 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1497429)   #14
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it is.

I spoke with Sheila about this last night, what she has is VHS off the TV and needs it put onto DVD.

As for permissions to use footage of Sheila, that is another issue all together
Old 8 Jan 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1497436)   #15
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Didn't we have that discussion before Jase and decide that by signing on as an official at an event then you had to reasonably expect to feature in media coverage of it?
Old 8 Jan 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1497440)   #16
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Didn't we have that discussion before Jase and decide that by signing on as an official at an event then you had to reasonably expect to feature in media coverage of it?

We did, and we did!
Old 8 Jan 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1497442)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
I doubt the media company would want to get too far into this discusion - they have no model release forms from those involved and whilst arguably you may lose the right to object to being filmed by signing on I'm not sure you agree to them making profit out of your image.

I'm not advocating breaching anyone's copyright but in Sheila's position for using the footage for Marshals' training purposes I wouldn't be too concerned about the copyright aspect.
Old 8 Jan 2006, 22:25 (Ref:1497515)   #18
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the simple answer is the TV company own the copyright and therefore it should not be broadcast publicly without there permission regardless of who is in it or not.

I have a similar tape that i would like to convert to DVD but I would be unable to show that publicly for a number of reasons including copyright, yes Sheila it is the one you are thinking of.
Old 8 Jan 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1497519)   #19
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc's
I think the simple answer is the TV company own the copyright and therefore it should not be broadcast publicly without there permission regardless of who is in it or not.

I have a similar tape that i would like to convert to DVD but I would be unable to show that publicly for a number of reasons including copyright, yes Sheila it is the one you are thinking of.
I don't think the problem with your tape is with the copyright but the content. If you recall, we who watched it were asked to sign a disclaimer that we would not pursue any claims for nervous shock.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1497644)   #20
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
I don't think the problem with your tape is with the copyright but the content. If you recall, we who watched it were asked to sign a disclaimer that we would not pursue any claims for nervous shock.
I never signed a diclaimer but would never show it to anyone but friends out of respect for those involved. (I think it was a bit late for shock)

The real issue with your tape is the copyright.