Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 27 Sep 2002, 11:18 (Ref:389683)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VY Commodore

VY Commodore. Saw it for the first time in the flesh tonight at a function a dealer had for Fleet buyers. Very dissapointing. It does not look nice but neither did the VN so hopefully it will be ok, oh well. The high point of the evening was meeting Peter Brock. The low point was the VY Commodore. You don't know how hard it is for me to say this
Old 27 Sep 2002, 11:52 (Ref:389707)   #2
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Checked them out at holden today, and drove an auto S. After driving a couple of Ba falcons, the commodore just doesnt cut it anymore. They dont look good either. That plastic ribbed bit in the rear bumper??????????.
The auto lock thing as soon as you start it was a bit freaky.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 3 Oct 2002, 08:42 (Ref:394726)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My boss wanted a new VY as her company vehicle. Well to be exact, she didn't want any of the other options. So, she waited for two months then handed her car in (a series 1 VX), the new blue Commodore came. And she drove it for a week before she realised it was a series 2 VX (new) not the new model at all. Makes you wonder why she bothered anyway.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 05:51 (Ref:396166)   #4
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the VY at Qld. Raceway & i must say i was very dissapointed in it. I hope it performs better than it looks.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 02:15 (Ref:396655)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dogs breakfast
Old 6 Oct 2002, 03:10 (Ref:396671)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moff, no disrespect to your boss but it shows that the majority of Australians don't know the difference between Falcon and Commodore apart from the badge and, in this case, between two Commodores.

Then again, very few people can spot the differences between a VR and a VS Commodore
Old 6 Oct 2002, 22:43 (Ref:397183)   #7
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Elephino, yes, I agree. That was my point. The Boss wanted the new model, but didn't realise the car she got was the same as the one she just got out of!
Old 9 Oct 2002, 07:07 (Ref:398965)   #8
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
VY Commodore. Saw it for the first time in the flesh tonight at a function a dealer had for Fleet buyers.
Both my Dad and Mun work for Telstra and get company cars, both of them are getting BAs now (after about 3 Commo's each) because the price (out of their pay) for a VY is too much, while the BA is pretty much the same...plus the VY is ugly...

So we're getting a XR6 (non turbo unfortunatly, but it would have been an auto, so it would have been a waste anyway) and a Fairmont

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 15 Oct 2002, 12:03 (Ref:404783)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noticed something the other day. Block out the tail lights and the boot at that height and it is very A4 in the rear bumper.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 02:39 (Ref:427476)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of our sales reps picked up his new car yesterday. It is a VY Commodore SV8. It has 235kW, 5.7 litre V8 and six speed box in metallic black.

I think i could probably learn to live with the styling and I guess it certainly dates the VT & VX now. The interior looks alright and at low revs it is VERY quiet. List price is $41K, seems like excellent value to me.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 21:15 (Ref:429513)   #11
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
One of our sales reps picked up his new car yesterday. It is a VY Commodore SV8. It has 235kW, 5.7 litre V8 and six speed box in metallic black.

I think i could probably learn to live with the styling and I guess it certainly dates the VT & VX now. The interior looks alright and at low revs it is VERY quiet. List price is $41K, seems like excellent value to me.
Was able to drive a VY HSV GTS 300kw Auto yesterday. What a heap of S**t. I am ssssoooooo disappionted in the rubbish that Holden are dishing out to the public and trying to gloss over the fact that for the first time in 10 years they have a product that is not up too the job........
Old 19 Nov 2002, 08:52 (Ref:432068)   #12
Airhead
Veteran

Well, I saw a SV8 in red, and at 43K this thing is 9K less than a SS.

It's natural enenmy in the market would appear to be (on price) the XR6T. Now there is a comparison I would like to see.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 11:14 (Ref:439299)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

I drove a VY today from work. Not bad at all - the steering is much better than the VX.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 22:33 (Ref:439679)   #14
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drove a VY Berlina yesterday. What the hell is going on in that interior. Could the put anymore buttons on the centre consol. Trying to work the radio and air con took most of my 10 min drive. The steering wheel would be the worst one i have ever had to hang onto. Those square spokes are just anoying. So much for the nice moulded wheel

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 30 Nov 2002, 03:43 (Ref:439864)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say I particularly like the interior of the BA, and the instrument cluster is swoit...
Old 30 Nov 2002, 10:22 (Ref:439975)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh great, now Poida is a moderator.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 22:32 (Ref:457362)   #17
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Well, I saw a SV8 in red, and at 43K this thing is 9K less than a SS.

It's natural enenmy in the market would appear to be (on price) the XR6T. Now there is a comparison I would like to see.
Yeah but I don't think Ford could bear the embaressment of getting there bum kicked by the General again
Old 26 Dec 2002, 12:27 (Ref:457613)   #18
Airhead
Veteran

Umm, well, Colin. Wheels magazine lined up a XR6 Turbo against a Commodore SS. Guess what the outcome was? The SV8 it appears doesn't even rate a mention.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 15:48 (Ref:458928)   #19
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's because of the following:

Better camber control over travel by both front and rear suspension in the BA.
I'm fairly sure it has a stiffer chassis (Though heavier) from the major surgery in the backside to fit the new suspension.
It has ALL new interior and so *should* fit better in all areas. (VY is combo of new and old).
BA has a mostly new 6 cylinder motor (Hollow twincam 4V heads, block lightening.). The weakspot for the entire BA car is the manual gearbox and fit and finish which is still behind the japanese.
The VY is a VX with some crass styling. Although it uses modern trends in the plastic it clashes with the nicely smooth VT bodywork. It also looks cheap in the grille and tailights due to cheap plastic fin effects and large rear lamps. The major flaw in the rear is that the lamp plastic stretches up and over the lip area so that it looks like the lamp is clipped ONTO the back and looks more like it was tacked on, rather than the neat VY lamps that looked integral to the rear. Take a look at the BA rear. It does the same thing mostly as the VY rear. Nicely tapered boot edge but the lamps appear more 'set into' the panels rather than 'attatched'.

In short: The BA is better engineered and styled than the VY. Why? Ford knew it had to and would have done everything in it's power just to stop the decline. Let alone regain it's old position.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 13:25 (Ref:460901)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
The thing that really bugs me about the VY Commodore styling is how the rear is so sharp and angular, yet the VX and VT were so smooth and rounded. Did anybody actually look at a VT/VX before they tacked on that big square wedge, they just don't go together.
Old 1 Jan 2003, 11:05 (Ref:461475)   #21
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a VY highway patrol car on the hoist at our local Ford dealer. Is this project blueprint at work?