Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 9 Dec 2019, 08:19 (Ref:3945656)   #6026
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
You should have said if you wanted a fancy calendar Mike - I could have got you a staff discount on one of these. Last few remaining. Note the 'expert driver' - for once I got out from behind the lens!
High end, bespoke. yet inexpensive calendars are readily available from …………………………..

Oh! And no cardboard boxes.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 08:22 (Ref:3945657)   #6027
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Max, While I have never raced a car I have done a lot of driving and fancy myself as a very good driver, however, when I entered a kart race evening I was quickly dissolution I was the slowest on the track, and spun a time or two, and truly floundered. This at a recreational kart venue, nothing too serious. I am no one to criticise anyone else's driving. Now with a camera ……….
Ah, you probably got the kart with the broken frame Bob.

Those are the ones that are undriveable at corporate events.[/QUOTE]

That explains it, ego restored. Thanks Grant.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 08:27 (Ref:3945658)   #6028
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
High end, bespoke. yet inexpensive calendars are readily available from …………………………..

Oh! And no cardboard boxes.
Delivered in a plain brown envelope Bob!
Old 9 Dec 2019, 10:35 (Ref:3945683)   #6029
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
And now Amazing Amazon delivering yellow classic cars out of the box!
Old 9 Dec 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3945718)   #6030
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just caught up with this thread - well done, Will on your "proper" Kart debut. I still remember the first time I tried a mate's Kart, back in the late 60s - it was a Bultaco engined thing IIRC - and I scared myself silly - couldn't believe how direct the steering was and virtually never travelled in a straight line
Old 9 Dec 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3945723)   #6031
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You should have said if you wanted a fancy calendar Mike - I could have got you a staff discount on one of these. Last few remaining. Note the 'expert driver' - for once I got out from behind the lens!
That’s cool and a great photo- almost as good as the ones you take!
Old 9 Dec 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3945729)   #6032
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Delivered in a plain brown envelope Bob!
You supply the photos, and I'll produce the calendar, why I'll even supply the 'plain brown envelopes'. we'll make a fortune, knowing this lot.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3945750)   #6033
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hehehe Mike, you like quirky and expensive (preferably large engined) Historic Race cars, elegant sailing yachts, and then throw in the odd Spitfire / historically interesting exotic plane...... Im getting the picture.... champagne tastes etc, (something I think we all suffer from). My Mother is always telling me I have champagne tastes and a beer budget. Look at the menu but dont order the food is another favourite of hers.)
Champagne tastes? Yes, I like the taste of champagne.....
Old 9 Dec 2019, 16:33 (Ref:3945752)   #6034
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That’s cool and a great photo- almost as good as the ones you take!
As I approached the water I briefly thought of gunning it to soak my Team mate who was taking the photo. Then I remembered he was using my camera!
Old 9 Dec 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3945753)   #6035
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
You supply the photos, and I'll produce the calendar, why I'll even supply the 'plain brown envelopes'. we'll make a fortune, knowing this lot.
Ha! First time we've done a fundraising calendar which involved getting members of the public to enter a competition to supply photos and sponsors to fund the printing costs. Been a lot of hard work but the income is good and nearly sold out!
Old 9 Dec 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3945769)   #6036
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Too late Bob - I've already bought a calendar from the Sapeur Pompiers. They delivered it to my door, no need to destroy a forest to pack it. And I got a free one from a nice chocolate shop!
Old 9 Dec 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3945777)   #6037
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Nice chocolate shop……… Le Chat Bleu as seen at Le Touquet, Lille or Paris, John? You can't imagine what we can get from a chinese restaurant here!!!
Old 9 Dec 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3945783)   #6038
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Nice chocolate shop……… Le Chat Bleu as seen at Le Touquet, Lille or Paris, John? You can't imagine what we can get from a chinese restaurant here!!!
No, not quite so glamorous! Reaute Chocolat at Noyelle Godault.

Watched a nice prog on French TV last night about narrow gauge steam trains & noted the one on Baie de Somme runs to Cayeux-sur-Mer.

Is that where you hail from?
Old 9 Dec 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3945785)   #6039
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Just caught up with this thread - well done, Will on your "proper" Kart debut. I still remember the first time I tried a mate's Kart, back in the late 60s - it was a Bultaco engined thing IIRC - and I scared myself silly - couldn't believe how direct the steering was and virtually never travelled in a straight line

The speed on the straights is fine. Its just knowing how much to push round the corners and avoiding mostly the kerbs which is the bigger challenge.

Back to my kart and should be able to work on it Thursday and do the Carburetors.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 19:18 (Ref:3945789)   #6040
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Too late Bob - I've already bought a calendar from the Sapeur Pompiers. They delivered it to my door, no need to destroy a forest to pack it. And I got a free one from a nice chocolate shop!
Bought? John why do I bother providing free calendars to the hoi polio, when some mugs still pay for them. Sacre Bleu.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3945797)   #6041
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Right John, our real name was, from what I've been told, de Cayeux de Somewhere. I could use the first part but really dont care about. My bet is that we had an ancestor facing a deal like: its up to you,man, either we cut your head or cut the name. I would say around 1789… Because obviously some of us survived, the guy in question chose promptly and wisely!!! Delta would say WTF the name, keep your head on!

This brings to "une époque" when Sacre Bleu was in use……………
Old 9 Dec 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3945811)   #6042
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Bought? John why do I bother providing free calendars to the hoi polio, when some mugs still pay for them. Sacre Bleu.
Will you come to my assistance if I have a fire or need an ambulance?
Old 9 Dec 2019, 22:17 (Ref:3945826)   #6043
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Will you come to my assistance if I have a fire or need an ambulance?
I'll check my calendar to see if I'm free.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3945841)   #6044
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Klein Motorsport Classic...... Bit of a luxury but the pics are period black and white, and very cool.
I had a look for that at Amazon, but I got a bit sidetracked by one in the "customers also brought" section...Tourenwagen calender Click the "see all 14 images" link to see all 12 months pictures. There's now one less available!
Old 10 Dec 2019, 05:33 (Ref:3945875)   #6045
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
I had a look for that at Amazon, but I got a bit sidetracked by one in the "customers also brought" section...Tourenwagen calender Click the "see all 14 images" link to see all 12 months pictures. There's now one less available!
Yes, that's also a nice calendar, but focuses on a specific period of racing, is a lot smaller and only one (colour) pic per month. Some year's I've bought both...
Old 10 Dec 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3945913)   #6046
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
We keep hearing about the ‘death of our high street’, but amazing how some retailers appear to be thriving. The local Primark closed 2 years ago for refurbishment, but during the work they were fortunate to be able to operate temporarily from the closed BHM store up the road. Turned out the ‘refurb’ consisted of demolishing the old store, which was in a terrace of shops, and two more next door, then completely rebuilding. Not a cheap job then.......
Old 10 Dec 2019, 12:47 (Ref:3945915)   #6047
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Talk about rarified circles! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ides-entitled/

I'll stick to MGBs I think.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3945916)   #6048
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
We have a large out of town shopping centre not far from here (called Fosse Park if anyone is interested). Primark moved into there a few years ago, taking over the old BHS. That store was also completely rebuilt before they moved in but I was amazed how slowly the work appeared to be done. I would have expected them to want to have it completed ASAP so they could get the place open & selling so they could earn the new income.
A similar thing is also happening now where the shopping park is being extended which has required closing part of the existing area as that will be used for access. This is not expected to re-open for another 12 months yet, I just don't see why there's a lack of urgency. As Mike says, there must be more 'spare' money in retail than they're letting on.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3945918)   #6049
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Talk about rarified circles! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ides-entitled/

I'll stick to MGBs I think.
I’d have volunteered to bring it back as hand luggage.....

Edit- BTW My original thought was that the car in the pic is not a 1962 GTO, but it is- fitted with a Scaglietti Series 2 body, apparently....

Bit of specific history here.... https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/0...ld-at-auction/

Last edited by Mike Bell; 10 Dec 2019 at 13:22.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 13:13 (Ref:3945920)   #6050
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
We have a large out of town shopping centre not far from here (called Fosse Park if anyone is interested). Primark moved into there a few years ago, taking over the old BHS. That store was also completely rebuilt before they moved in but I was amazed how slowly the work appeared to be done. I would have expected them to want to have it completed ASAP so they could get the place open & selling so they could earn the new income.
A similar thing is also happening now where the shopping park is being extended which has required closing part of the existing area as that will be used for access. This is not expected to re-open for another 12 months yet, I just don't see why there's a lack of urgency. As Mike says, there must be more 'spare' money in retail than they're letting on.

It may be a lack of trained resources to undertake the work.

Or maybe just a challenge to balance the funding exercise against other commitments.

Or perhaps contractors going out of business?
Closed Thread