Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jul 2018, 07:28 (Ref:3837921)   #101
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well back for the last day this year, hopefully be another great days racing. Yesterday was great watching at club seeing the big Lister Jags in a beautiful 4 wheel drift round there and hearing how much the drivers play with the throttle, just perfect 😀. Tho if anyone can explain what was going on in the Masters Legends race I'd be greatfull as no one seemed to have a clue!
Old 22 Jul 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3837925)   #102
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Who was the bloke driving in the Masters GT race at about 6 pm
He was brilliant holding off the Ganns/ Wolfe monster in an Elite on last lap of race
Commitment shown though Beckets/Maghots was phenomenal!
He’s good!
Do you mean Elan? If so it was Jake Hill, who won the race from the cobra by 0.664 seconds...

Interesting race. Oil on first corner of complex after one lap causing a spin or two, cars parked on outside at Copse so yellows, and then a SC when a 911 lost it on the GP start finish straight, hit the wall and finished up on its roof at the side of the circuit. There was an oil slick down the centre of the track which he could have caught with one wheel to cause the accident. The pit window wasn’t open when the leading cars next went past the pit lane entrance, but was by the time the later cars did, so those that gambled managed to jump up the order quite a few places! The rest of the field pitted line astern the next lap, with resultant traffic chaos.....

Questions were asked (even by commentators) about why the SC stayed out so long, but eventually the race got under way again. For some reason the printed and signed results differ from MST, which shows 3 cars excluded under regulation 1.1.5, which is to do with driving standards....
Old 22 Jul 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3837926)   #103
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mini MM and I had a wonderful day thank you. We couldn't understand the people going home at 5:00 with the three very best races to come - and they didn't disappoint. We sat transfixed at Woodcote grandstand watching GT, Sports cars and the absolute highlight - WEC cars. I realised I've been sitting in the same spot for nearly 50 years now....my first time at SS was the British GP 1970 and I watched from Woodcote grandstand....eek!

So pleased that the meeting encompasses a much wider range than traditional "classic" stuff, love the 70/80/90/00 cars.

With my motorsports retailer hat on, I reckon there were fewer people there but the ones missing were the "family day out" market. Fewer buggies. Fewer bored kids running up and down the grandstand. If that continues I may consider taking a trade stand again, I have a cunning plan.

Pricing? It's £40 to stand at MUFC for 90 minutes of Champions League, £33 in advance to Alton Towers, £55 at the gate where by all accounts as long as you like queues you'll be fine. Silverstone is a world class venue, they had plenty of staff on the food stands so you rarely queued for long. There were lots of little customer service touches, from water bottle refill taps to "race makers" dispensing advice and wisdom. Free shuttle buses. Unrivalled access to the best historic cars in the world. Best of all you don't have to dress up like a schools' "50s day". I'm a fan!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jul 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3837935)   #104
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Mini MM and I had a wonderful day thank you. We couldn't understand the people going home at 5:00 with the three very best races to come - and they didn't disappoint. We sat transfixed at Woodcote grandstand watching GT, Sports cars and the absolute highlight - WEC cars. I realised I've been sitting in the same spot for nearly 50 years now....my first time at SS was the British GP 1970 and I watched from Woodcote grandstand....eek!

So pleased that the meeting encompasses a much wider range than traditional "classic" stuff, love the 70/80/90/00 cars.

With my motorsports retailer hat on, I reckon there were fewer people there but the ones missing were the "family day out" market. Fewer buggies. Fewer bored kids running up and down the grandstand. If that continues I may consider taking a trade stand again, I have a cunning plan.

Pricing? It's £40 to stand at MUFC for 90 minutes of Champions League, £33 in advance to Alton Towers, £55 at the gate where by all accounts as long as you like queues you'll be fine. Silverstone is a world class venue, they had plenty of staff on the food stands so you rarely queued for long. There were lots of little customer service touches, from water bottle refill taps to "race makers" dispensing advice and wisdom. Free shuttle buses. Unrivalled access to the best historic cars in the world. Best of all you don't have to dress up like a schools' "50s day". I'm a fan!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
You enjoyed it then?
Old 22 Jul 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3837958)   #105
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
... and then a SC when a 911 lost it on the GP start finish straight, hit the wall and finished up on its roof at the side of the circuit. There was an oil slick down the centre of the track which he could have caught with one wheel to cause the accident...
I didn't see the incident unfold in person, but I have heard that he was helped into it by a TVR. Can't substantiate that myself though.

Had an enjoyable start to the race myself, glad to see that you both finished without any further engine gremlins. Less than impressed with the number of leading cars that decided SC rules clearly didn't apply to them, but seems that wasn't reflected in any amendments to the results so what do I know...

Keen readers of the published results will observe that I have recently changed my name to Dickie Meaden too
Old 22 Jul 2018, 12:15 (Ref:3837976)   #106
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
You enjoyed it then?
Whatever gave you that idea?

To my mind it is the best Historic race meeting bar none, but then I haven't actually made it to the Spa 6 Hour yet so I may be corrected on that. I like the wider variety of "historics" that the event attracts both on and off track.

Even working at the Classic has historically been a pleasure. We've been cut a great deal of slack about vehicle movements and I've always found security helpful although I understand others sometimes don't have the same experience. The last time I exhibited the weather was desperate for three days solid, and all the staff on site were most understanding as the exhibitors started packing away well before lunch. Stand prices aren't extortionate either.

Of course nothing is perfect but I'm a fan
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3838058)   #107
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well that’s it my race driver career is over . My co driver and owner of the fabulous Rover got fastest lap. Well done Pete . Awsum drive .
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3838063)   #108
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Having just got home, my thoughts! I would say less family groups spectating this year. Could it be anything to do with most school holidays starting this weekend? (No idea if same or different other years....)

No problems at all with security or any other staff. Being friendly and considerate towards them usually reaps rewards.

Movement around infield was no problem, whether on two wheels or using four.

The Wing paddock was too jammed up with displays and tented grids. As a consequence the collecting area suffered from severe overflow problems for some races!

UB40 were good enough to hang around and listen to. The concert area was very well populated Saturday night, obviously helped by the fact that it was a lovely warm summer eve!

The owner of the car I was sharing took some persuading to do the event after bad experiences with weather and security in some previous visits. After this weekend, his faith is restored, so thank you Goose, HSCC, Marshals and all the people involved!
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3838065)   #109
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well that’s it my race driver career is over . My co driver and owner of the fabulous Rover got fastest lap. Well done Pete . Awsum drive .

Don’t fret- happened to me as well.... Very pleased you had a good race, Peter. Well deserved after Goodwood!

Iain- If you want I can pm you a whole list of ‘racing driver excuses’........

Last edited by Mike Bell; 22 Jul 2018 at 18:52. Reason: Sp
Old 22 Jul 2018, 20:59 (Ref:3838139)   #110
mark77
Rookie

mark77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found the event very enjoyable - weather in this country makes such a difference
My thoughts on some of the races
Really enjoyed the varied field in the saloons (love the capris and rovers) etc
Under 2litre saloons still a good grid shame that it's so dominated by lotus cortinas (a few years ago bmws were challenging)
Super touring seemed down
Masters F1 judging by the stands still the crowds favourite a good grid despite a number of usual cars missing
My personal favourite the world sports cars - any idea why no gt40s or Porsche this year?
Safety car seemed to stay out too long in a couple of races
Not sure why we had so many parades on Saturday late afternoon rather have the races finishing early.
Good no celebrity races
Access to the garages was improved this year, only 1 team preventing (I do understand why they choose to), even security had smiles (unusual for silverstone), not sure why 2 lines of ticket checking on way in. Nice that car clubs were moved around so we had chance to park on bank
Overall great event
Old 22 Jul 2018, 21:20 (Ref:3838145)   #111
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Quote:
Don’t fret- happened to me as well.... Very pleased you had a good race, Peter. Well deserved after Goodwood!

I'll post something a bit more substantial later. But must give a massive thanks to Iain for his efforts. He was consistently faster from the off. And he bought the beer!

Mike, we will never beat the other Rovers on tracks like Silverstone but places like Oulton Park and Portimao may suit us better. Roll on the Gold Cup weekend!
Old 22 Jul 2018, 22:03 (Ref:3838152)   #112
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a great day spectating today, good to meet up with Peter & Iain, but really sorry to miss my mate Mike.

Was really pleased to see Rover looking and running so well, great to see smiles on both Peter’s & Iain’s faces after their race, which is what it’s all about in my book.

Daniel dropped his iPhone from top of grandstand & it was gone by the time he got down there, so feared the worst. However, a smiling race helper in blue brought it up to me in the grandstand whilst Daniel was frantically searching for it - so no complaints about staff from me, only gratitude.

I’ll be back.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 23:41 (Ref:3838164)   #113
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I believe there will be a definitive book quite soon .... if the brief highlights I saw from Hockenheim today are representative of what happened.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 05:57 (Ref:3838191)   #114
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of these days I will get round to trying to meet who everyone is from here, though I might get a chance this time but couldn't tear myself away from the racing as pretty much every race was none stop with sum great hard but fair battles. Looking back over the weekend, there definitely seamed less spectators overall and also there didn't seam to be much atmosphere over in the wing.

Access was as great as always with everyone happy to talk, even if they were having a bad day.

Anyway here my vid from Saturdays action if anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2orF...ature=youtu.be
Old 23 Jul 2018, 06:15 (Ref:3838194)   #115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Had a great day spectating today, good to meet up with Peter & Iain, but really sorry to miss my mate Mike.

Was really pleased to see Rover looking and running so well, great to see smiles on both Peter’s & Iain’s faces after their race, which is what it’s all about in my book.

Daniel dropped his iPhone from top of grandstand & it was gone by the time he got down there, so feared the worst. However, a smiling race helper in blue brought it up to me in the grandstand whilst Daniel was frantically searching for it - so no complaints about staff from me, only gratitude.

I’ll be back.
Cliff, if I’d known you were there..... As an aside- I left my phone in the loos at Dijon earlier this year, and when went back it had of course gone. Before pressing the ‘erase’ button I called in at the admin office on the off chance. To my surprise a kind individual had handed it in.......
Old 23 Jul 2018, 06:52 (Ref:3838198)   #116
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
67 quid tomorrow

Thats all I need to say.

We live in hope ...

I had a fab weekend- access superb, everybody friendly, amazing cars , great racing and extraordinary weather. Where else can you stand at the edge of the pitlane watching a D Type driver change, then notice the guy standing next to you is David Hobbs ?

HHF missed - his commentary added a lot and I found Andrew Marriott's commentary workmanlike at best . I saw Marcus Pye but didn't hear him on commentary? Has he lost his voice ? I'd understand why but he does know his stuff ..

Nice to see the Mallet Rover looking a little more concours worthy and less ..err..patinated than when I was at Goodwood at the arctic MM

I too offered free tickets but MR Chunder loves his moan. And mine worked out at £16 per day on a car club BOGOF deal...
Old 23 Jul 2018, 07:08 (Ref:3838200)   #117
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not only did I share my.car with Iain Rowley we also had the pleasure of sharing the garage with Tim Harvey and Mat Jackson. Tim has a terrific sense of humour and Mat is a good bloke.

Kind words re the car and it was great to Get back into it. Iain enjoyed his drive and I had a ball.

We were spectating on the Saturday and apart from sunburn we met up with old friends and mooched around the shopping and display areas. Lots of interesting stuff to see and buy.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3838202)   #118
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I counted 4 cars that didnt make it out of the supertourers listed.

X1 Renault (Engine fault)
X2 Audi
X1 Honda

Strangly, the Audis and Honda were sitting there in the paddock, they even made a PR annoucement (I think) about Ash Sutton driving the Accord before the event, the car was stickered up for Sutton too.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 07:45 (Ref:3838208)   #119
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
Sutton was a none starter in the ex David Leslie Accord after the engine blew on Thursdays test day. One funny aside, Rydell was struggling to get settled in the S40 so one of his old mechanics popped home and dug out his old steering wheel from 99 that he was given as a present by Ricard back then and brought it to the track so he could get settled better in the car
Old 23 Jul 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3838267)   #120
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only one comment, a little quicker reaction to the amount of oil unfortunately dumped in front of the pits, might just have prevented what could have resulted in a tragedy, the applause from the pit lane said it all.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3838297)   #121
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really enjoyed the whole meeting.

Joe Public are still allowed to wander in the garages and see the cars up close (apart from Classic Lotus ) and many owner/drivers willing to chat about their pride and joy. The Wing is still overcrowded and so after a visit Friday morning we left that area alone. The National paddock was much more relaxed and had more space.
Choices had to be made about which races to watch as there is so many other things to do and see. Sunday morning I spent wandering the village, National paddock area and the car clubs and only caught the odd track action on one of the big screens.
Caught all the races I really wanted to in various grandstands around the circuit and especially enjoyed the three on Saturday evening. UB40 kept us in the circuit for some time before we returned to the Woodlans campsite. That was very good, as normal.
Lots of food stalls around the circuit and a good number of grandstands open.

As we had a car club pass we entered each day at 7.30 and the security were excellent, having three entry gates certainly helped the flow.

Taking advantage of the early bird car club deal the 3 days cost less than £50, a true bargain.

We will be back in '19.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3838304)   #122
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
I didn't see the incident unfold in person, but I have heard that he was helped into it by a TVR. Can't substantiate that myself though.
The 911 did not stand a chance, the car (TVR?) hit the puddle of oil overtaking the 911, turned sharp left and T boned the 911, the oil was from an almighty blow up a lap or so previous, this was dealt with by marshals after the incident.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3838453)   #123
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Sutton was a none starter in the ex David Leslie Accord after the engine blew on Thursdays test day. One funny aside, Rydell was struggling to get settled in the S40 so one of his old mechanics popped home and dug out his old steering wheel from 99 that he was given as a present by Ricard back then and brought it to the track so he could get settled better in the car
Hi Craig,

Thanks for that. I wondered why it wasn't involved.

Always like checking out your videos by the way...
Old 24 Jul 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3838456)   #124
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We spent the whole weekend in the National paddock and just couldn't summon the enthusiasm to venture over to the Wing and the inevitable crowding although we did risk crossing the bridge for an hour of UB40. I did my best to engage with the Village razzamatazz but I was fighting a losing battle with my dour Scots genes Delta's BBQ was "fun" when the heavens opened just as the coals were lit and the ensuing downpour kept someone gainfully employed for 2 hours just poking the awning roof where huge Damocles-like pools of water were gathering. In the end we had to move the BBQs under an Easy-up which then trapped the smoke - if you noticed my glowing red eyeballs on Saturday it was nothing to do with over indulgence the night before The FJ parade must have been quite impressive from the stands with over 100 cars out, I was expecting it to be a bit of a chore and hate the car club parades that interrupt racing but there were lots of smiling faces in the crowd as we went round. As the weekend was the culmination of the 60th anniversary and 3 year World Tour it was worth making a fuss.

Finally the Gemini has come together after a year of grief, although a tendency to jump out of 2nd caught me out a few times (twice at Woodcote a few seconds apart in case you were wondering, Max) and I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 races, full grids, with 50+ cars on track there will always be someone equally slow to race with. I found the same driver/Gemini combo on both days until he ran out of fuel on the last lap of race 2, disappointing as he had beaten me the day before and it would have been nice to properly redress the balance (which was looking likely). We had been side by side through several fast corners, exhilarating, and I found myself transfixed watching the other driver at work instead of where I was going - I had him at Abbey every time where he was a bit cautious, and he got me back at the Loop when I just dropped off cam leaving me slow onto the Wellington straight. Have to put some thought into that, probably just need to go a bit quicker but it's a tricky one to get right. A 3rd car that had been with us for most of the race just managed to nip through, and as I went for the re-pass at Vale a strong smell of hot coolant hit me. Not mine, so it must have been him and I backed off rather than risk crossing the line like a demented ballerina. From the perspective of my immediate environment the driving standard was very high and whenever there was a bit of wheel to wheel, room was allowed to get through the corners just as it should be in historics (see Appx K). Well done FJ, perhaps some other series should take note!
Old 24 Jul 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3838478)   #125
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A big thank you to all involved in putting on the marshals BBQ it was appreciated and enjoyed by all who attended. A little down on expected numbers due to the weather on Friday evening.

Also thanks to all competitors / organisers who donated to the marshals raffle.