Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:04 (Ref:2529014)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
what about Pre 63 Saloons...

Everyone seems in agreement that the pre 63 GT race at the classic was a great success why not extend this theory and run a pre 63 saloon race - no V8's and the return of Zephyrs, Zodiac's etc... along with mini's and Anglia's running with more similar power..
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2529019)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oldies but Goldies?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2529021)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
are they not pre 60 which is a very different genre - no mini's, anglia's or mk2 Jaguars
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2529023)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Everyone seems in agreement that the pre 63 GT race at the classic was a great success why not extend this theory and run a pre 63 saloon race - no V8's and the return of Zephyrs, Zodiac's etc... along with mini's and Anglia's running with more similar power..
To whose rules ? HRSR maybe. Anglia's and Mini's were both launched in 1959.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2529027)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

1200 Anglia against 998 mini...
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:29 (Ref:2529032)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the 1200 pre 63? I only ask because I cannot remember.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2529033)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It depends on if people wanted to go pot hunting or not ? as a mini is a lot more developed now as a 1200 Anglia ever was.
I know it is only a suggestion at the moment but it would cause a few upsets unless it was policed properly.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2529034)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I know it is only a suggestion at the moment but it would cause a few upsets unless it was policed properly.
aren't upsets are a prerequisite for any historic seres?!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2529036)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
aren't upsets are a prerequisite for any historic seres?!
True there seems very few today
Terry the 1200 came out in 1962.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:48 (Ref:2529040)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
are they not pre 60 which is a very different genre - no mini's, anglia's or mk2 Jaguars
You need to read the regs.

But wasn't the 2.4 Mk2 1957 (ish)?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:48 (Ref:2529041)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
You do it by invitation only and anyone who screws about leaves.

As Ness and Flav series is now policed
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:08 (Ref:2529051)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
until 63 the MK2 was king, early 63 it was being hassled by Cortina GT's then later Galaxies and later still Lotus Cortinas . . . . so going pre 63 would give you Rapiers ( and rootes equivalents) Riley/Wossley 1500 (MGB) 1L minis and 1L Anglias, or 1200's, you could run a 1200 delux Cortina, a 1500 Ford classic/capri maybe, or 1340cc if you wehere brave. the pube didn't come out until 63, a Zodiac might be comfy.

IF it goes like every other series it would turn into a 2 horse race, minis and MK2 JAgs, the potentially competitive cars which have been over developed for 40 years, like we see Mustangs in big banger racing and LC's/GTA's in U2TC and little else Its all a bit repetetive and boring at the moment
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2529056)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Gordon,memory block!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2529057)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

I think the answer is in the governance. The reason that teh pre 63 GT race was so susccessful was because the committee took the view that over developed cars were not encouraged... as JR said you have it by invitation
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2529061)   #15
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1962 "Motor Six Hours"
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...s%20Hatch.html
I`ll get my flat cap and long mac
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2529064)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just a suggestion,

Can we keep the "cheating", poor governance points, whinges about those nasty V8s for the relevant threads please?

This is about the possibility of running pre 63 saloons and I suppose which vehicles could enter. And why can't it have its own regs rather than HRSR/OBG etc?

Fasted,

All the culprits are there aren't they?

Morris 1100, MG ditto. Sunbeam Rapier, 1300(?) Anglia, Morris Cooper and 3.8 Jaguar?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2529068)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Franks site is excellent for checking what really ran in period.

those of you desperate for a pot, form an orderly queue for a Chevrolet Chevy!

perhaps Goodwood should have a look as well

Alfa Giullietta 1300 is another option
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2529070)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

anyone else up for a 6 hour saloon race as per that grid..
form an orderly queue pls - thank goodness I have got a mk2 3.8 ;o)
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:37 (Ref:2529071)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not sure about six hours Simon. Your back will get really sore rolling around that Zodiac bench seat with only the column change to hang onto!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2529079)   #20
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please! rolling about on bench bench seats in a Zodiac is for a different type of forum completely
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2529080)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think I'd take the David Haynes route

Zephyr, with heater, and Radio

and a tin of Gold block
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2529081)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted View Post
Please! rolling about on bench bench seats in a Zodiac is for a different type of forum completely
Yes, sorry completely got away from me. You'd be hanging onto the sun visors.

Of course you could fit one of those perspex wind shields so you can drive with the window down and not get a draught. Thereby removing the Gold Block odours.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2529083)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

well all we have to do know is persuade Messrs Twyman and Cussons and we are in business!!
re the Zodiac do Demon Tweeks make a faux leopard skin rollcage cover?!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2529087)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the discussion has been had before, but anyone with a decent budget and a desperation for recognition will always migrate to the most competitive car . . . which is why we rarely see the cars being mentioned in pre66 saloons.

morris traveller . . . mattress in the back. Ash roll cage comes as standard !
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2529091)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I see a business opportunity here. Build and entire grid and hire them out. Extra for leopardskin steering wheel covers of course.