Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 6 Sep 2007, 11:57 (Ref:2005104)   #1
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Ryan_Briscoe1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Briscoe lined up to replace Hornish

Ryan Briscoe is the lead candidate to replace Sam Hornish Jr in the IndyCar Series if the American switches to NASCAR, this week's Autosport reports.

Three-time IRL champion Hornish has been tipped to move to NASCAR next season after making a handful of Busch Series starts this year with Penske, while Briscoe currently races for the squad in the American Le Mans Series.

Briscoe made a one-off open-wheel appearance at the Indianapolis 500 in May, where he finished fifth with Penske equipment, driving for a team run by Roger Penske's son Jay.

Penske Racing president Tim Cindric said: "At the point where we make that decision if that seat is open, Ryan is certainly the lead candidate to do that."

Hornish will make his Nextel Cup debut at New Hampshire on September 16, but a permanent switch to the series has not yet been confirmed.

Briscoe said: "I'm waiting to see how things evolve from now and I really have no idea. They would be big shoes to fill."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62076
Old 6 Sep 2007, 13:10 (Ref:2005163)   #2
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope this comes through for Ryan - and its more than a one year deal

I dont know what hes done not to have a regualr gig somewhere - it is so bleeding fustrating!!!!
Old 6 Sep 2007, 13:12 (Ref:2005167)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What do you mean, "not have a regular gig?" He's been in the ALMS all year.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Sep 2007, 17:02 (Ref:2005402)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Not only has he had a "regular gig,' but he has been fast and successful in the Penske Porsche LMP2...I was hoping he would stay in ALMS, personally...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:32 (Ref:2005629)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Better reinforce them crash fences then.

I want him to stay in ALMS as he is very good there and has great potential. He has done Indycar before and was dreadful.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:37 (Ref:2005635)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was new to ovals. When he came back from his inured he was good. Don't forget that was the year Dixon was terrible and Manning wasn't too good.

He did well in the Indy 500 this year with the unofficial Penske crew.

I was a new fan of the ALMS this year. First year I really got into it as there has been fantastic racing and nice to see Briscoe win in the Penske Porscher and thrash the Audi-anti-Christ.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 04:14 (Ref:2005793)   #7
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd rather he stay on with Penske Porsche in the ALMS. He's developed a lot as a driver there this year (maturation that has been completely absent in his prior Stateside experience) and would only do more in the future. I'm sure he'd be better as an oval driver than in the past, but road courses are his real forte and it would be nice if he continued to focus on them.

As a sportscar person, comparing Briscoe to his teammates at Penske Porsche is interesting, because to me it suggests that these drivers who came up in 911s have also essentially reached the level of Penske open-wheel driver material, at least on road courses.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2005922)   #8
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Ryan_Briscoe1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

I want him to stay in ALMS as he is very good there and has great potential. He has done Indycar before and was dreadful.
dont know about that, blowfly. He did well for his rookie season, and was competitive with his team mates. the chip car wasnt up to scratch that year. He crashed a bit but he has learnt from that.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 11:10 (Ref:2005984)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So this pretty much confirms Mr Hornish's departure? Another one goes

Briscoes performance at Indy showed his oval form so there is hope for a competitive 2008 ride.

Will be a loss for the IRL.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 11:59 (Ref:2006021)   #10
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be happy so long as he's got a race winning package - be that in ALMS or IRL. Just so long as he isnt relegated into making a career out of V8 Supercars
Old 7 Sep 2007, 12:00 (Ref:2006023)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

well tha's a bit harsh considering that this year he just did Indy, and got a brilliant 4th.
I think he can be a good replacement for Hornish, certainly more motivated.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 12:12 (Ref:2006033)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly I agree Climb.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 12:35 (Ref:2006050)   #13
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After his Indy 500 effort I'm quite surprised that this is considered news actually. If (and it's still a pretty big "if" I think) Hornish moves on then I can't imagine there would be many other contenders in the frame.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 13:17 (Ref:2006081)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A pretty big if, isnt Hornish confirmed as running a NEXTEL event in September ?

Your not running top series if your dabbling in the move.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 13:35 (Ref:2006095)   #15
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I agree he was dreadful in IRL but I feel it may not have been all his fault. He has also had his moments of brilliance, qualifying at Bathurst having had very little time in a V8 Supercar would have been one of my most memorable moments of Ryan. Maybe he is better suited to tin tops.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 15:43 (Ref:2006176)   #16
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He didn't show that well in the IRL but neither did anybody else in the team. It wasn't so much that it was Dixon's crap year & more that the package of car & engine was rubbish so all of the drivers struggled. Briscoe did get a few good finishes & Indy this year was great & as more road courses are added to the calendar he should be getting happier & happier about his prospects in the series.

As a small matter aside from the main point, that poor Ganassi year really highlighted the talents of Darren Manning for me as he was ahead of Dixon in the championship when he was fired (a move that still confuses me. Why would you sack you highest driver in the championship?!)

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 8 Sep 2007, 00:05 (Ref:2006488)   #17
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Ryan can probably drive anything well.
The year with Ganassi was a hole in his life...

He was quick testing for Toyota, First left karts and jumped into F. Renault and won the Italian series.
Then a big leap to Arden in F3000 but it was a poor year. Back to F3 at Toyota's behest and won the championship. A year F1 testing then off to Ganassi for the IRL.

He has done heaps of racing and been successful whenever he has had competitve machinery under him.

He's good enough to take Sam's place.

He was quite brilliant in karts too, CRG teammate to Nico Rosberg....
Old 8 Sep 2007, 01:55 (Ref:2006523)   #18
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooops I need to correct myself. The V8 Supercar qualifying mentioned below was in fact Sandown and not Bathurst. Sandown is the enduro before Bathurst, Briscoe stuck it on provisional pole (the 1st time ever in a V8 Supercar was 12 days prior) but it was Gath Tander (regular Supercar driver) that did the top ten shoot out and only managed 9th. That is no mean feat considering the feild.

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/news/la...=&gid=10829593
Old 8 Sep 2007, 06:06 (Ref:2006574)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His partner in the enduro's was Jim Richards, not Garth Tander
Old 8 Sep 2007, 07:26 (Ref:2006594)   #20
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
That's what I thought and then I read the article and thought "what the" I must have been drunk. Anyway he blew me away with at least getting it where he did considering the car time
Old 8 Sep 2007, 12:26 (Ref:2006771)   #21
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
to me a regular gig means being in the same motorsport/leauge for more than just one season
Old 10 Sep 2007, 08:34 (Ref:2008238)   #22
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
As a small matter aside from the main point, that poor Ganassi year really highlighted the talents of Darren Manning for me as he was ahead of Dixon in the championship when he was fired (a move that still confuses me. Why would you sack you highest driver in the championship?!)
Chances are that CG just didn't get on with Darren ultimately, but also to be fair CG were clearly of the intention to cut back from 3 to 2 cars and probably had Wheldon on a contract pretty early in the piece. So of your existing 3 drivers do you keep a man employed by your engine supplier, one who is established in the series and a former champion or one who is clearly talented but has yet to be given the chance to shine.

Sorry - I'm a big Manning fan (quality qualifying this weekend - shame about the race) but in all fairness CG made the only reasonable choice, although I didn't like it then and I still don't but it was probably the right choice in the circumstances.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2010234)   #23
Barry Scott
Rookie

Barry Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see why Penske would be looking at anyone else other than Briscoe. They have plenty of experience of working with him now, so they should know if he has a brain or not. Also, I'm sure they would have kept a VERY close eye on him during May at Indy, so they probably have a pretty good idea of what he is capable of.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 03:08 (Ref:2010741)   #24
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"I would have thought" that Penske would look for a more proven oval racer for his IRL seat to replace Hornish.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 07:41 (Ref:2010851)   #25
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
"I would have thought" that Penske would look for a more proven oval racer for his IRL seat to replace Hornish.
Yeah but who available out there is a proven IRL racer who isn't already quite comfy where they are. All the AGR and CG guys are out because they're otherwise engaged. Meira hasn't proven anything yet. I guess Sharp might work but I just can't see it.

After his excellent Indy performance - the whole month, not just the race - I can't see anyone other than RB being in the frame.