Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Jan 2001, 18:19 (Ref:60648)   #1
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching the Paris-Dakar and after becoming interested in the World Rally Championship last year, I have seen how the rallies are run, in various stages.
I must say that I am particularly interested in the Paris-Dakar because it reminds me of the city-to-city races in the early days of automobile racing.

So, my question is: Do any of you think that a non-stop city-to-city rally over several thousand kilometers could be done? Start to finish, no special stages, with two drivers per car, who alternate driving duties. Could it be done?
Old 27 Jan 2001, 18:22 (Ref:60650)   #2
Jared
Racer

Also, does anyone think a World Rally Championship car could run the Paris-Dakar, with suitable modifications, of course.
Old 27 Jan 2001, 18:40 (Ref:60657)   #3
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think a WRC car could be modified to run in the Dakar, no.

The city-city idea is quite an interesting one. Threre's a good possibility that it might work, but where would you hold it? Public roads would have to be closed for the duration, and I don't think an ordinary car could run from one continent to another entirely off-road, without some support and repairs en-route
Old 27 Jan 2001, 22:24 (Ref:60678)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back the Gumball Rally!

You couldn't run it through big cities, of course, but what about from Chicago to San Francisco over the top of the USA? There's a lot of wide open space that has no speed limits on it, up there, and the roads are pretty good too. Or run it from Chicago to San Bernardino and go through Nevada and the California desert.
Old 29 Jan 2001, 01:54 (Ref:60922)   #5
meatballeyes
Rookie

meatballeyes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

wow, you people really are insane.

as far as non-stop is concerned: there is a usa desert race called "the 24 hours of le fud" that is put on by a fella named otis fudrucker (i think - too bad for him)

the race course is a "loop" of 50+ miles or more (i think). as you have guessed the race is run non-stop for 24 hours, and the vehicle that covers the most ground wins. if i can find a website for it i will post a link.

i think that a non-stop, city-to-city race is possible, even if its a logistical nightmare. however, unless im wrong the big truck service crews tear down those dakar cars quite a bit each night, and without that constant service i doubt if they could make it non-stop.

still, thats about the coolest idea ive ever heard, and definately warrants some investigation.

as far as world rally cars are concerned, i dont think there is any way to make those things handle long-term dakar punishment. the engines in those things are wound up pretty tight, and frequently fail after just a few stages.

also, there is no way to make a car work in the endless sahara dunes. they lack the ground clearance of a real 4x4 truck or sport utility. did anyone see the mercedes ml430s at this years dakar? those things are designed more on the car side of suvs - a "soft roader" as they say in the uk. with their minuscule ground clearance and car-ish suspension, the ml430s *really struggled* in the sahara, getting stuck constantly. i cant see how a stock-based car could fare any better.

ok, enough babbling. somebody sponsor me for the 2002 dakar!

Old 29 Jan 2001, 02:05 (Ref:60923)   #6
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GUMBALL!!
Old 30 Jan 2001, 22:15 (Ref:61218)   #7
Jared
Racer

Actually Liz, I was thinking that the Gumball Rally could be done today. Not officially sanctioned, but sort of an underground network of drivers could sort out the route, rules, etc. Sort of an outlaw race.

What I mean when I say a city-to-city non-stop race is off-road, such as the Paris-Dakar. No paved roads, extreme conditions, a real "survivor race."

meatballeyes, too right about the current SUV's, such as the Merc. I just love how the companies try to sell you the "outdoor adventurer" lifestyle if you purchase their SUV. Oh yes, just as soon as I get a Nissan Pathfinder, I'm going to get up off the couch, turn off the TV, and go snowboarding or go sliding through mud in the rainforest. Ha!

However, in the race, if the trucks had to go non-stop, they wouldn't wind the engines up so tight, for the sake of reliability over speed.