Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Oct 2000, 20:13 (Ref:45955)   #1
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the new BTCC (or TOCA Tour) management have announced that they plan to have up to two Guest drivers, (or wild cards) in each of the races next year. these will not only consist of top drivers from other series, but stars from motorcycle racing and even stars from other sports and showbiz. Not to mention Nigel Mansell.

This decision begs several questions.

How much of a liabilty will inexprienced racers be?

Will having experienced racers in detract from the regular competitors? I remember that in World Superbikes they complained about Wild cards taking points from the title contenders.

Is the racing under the new rules going to be so bad that they need to spice it up in this way?

Will I finally get Nigels Autograph?
Old 30 Oct 2000, 21:29 (Ref:45973)   #2
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be good to see some drivers from other series appear as guest drivers....but....please not Damon Hill and all the ***** that draw parking and exit restricting crowds....Mark Blundell, Vicky Hustler-Benderson, John Cleland, Charlie Cox etc would be fun....Mansell, unfortunately is a given
Old 31 Oct 2000, 09:04 (Ref:46034)   #3
awaugh
Rookie

awaugh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont care what happens, but if you put an aussie in a car (ie Lowndes, Skiafe, Ingall, Seton, Besnard) the brits whould get the arse kicked.
Old 31 Oct 2000, 18:27 (Ref:46080)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Will I finally get Nigels Autograph?
You only have to ask. Who shall I make it out to ?

Seriously though if we have to have guests I hope they go for proper professional or semi-pro drivers rather than the media hacks and b-list TV celebs as in some series (Fiestas for example).

That said Alastair Stewart in the guest Fiesta was the most entertaining thing at Oulton Park.
Old 31 Oct 2000, 21:27 (Ref:46105)   #5
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first contender will be.......

That old taffy mooreen biddy, that took years to learn how to drive in that blue Skoda!.

That would be the wildest of cards.
Old 31 Oct 2000, 21:45 (Ref:46108)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Don't say that, someone from BMP could be reading this ad think it's a brilliant idea Better not mention Ainsley Harriot or Jerremy from Airport either.
Old 1 Nov 2000, 10:36 (Ref:46166)   #7
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember that Carl Foggarty suggested he was up for a drive. That could be interesting, assuming he can get his ego in the car.

I guess we're doomed to Nige appearing - but only at the tracks he deems worthy (Silverstone, Brands Hatch and Donnington). You might get his autograph, but he'll probably charge you for it

I also expect we'll see 'failed racing driver' Tiff Needell. On the Top Gear front it would be great to see VB-H in there too.

If they're looking for 'celebrities' rather than actual drivers :-

Shane Lynch. He's been racing in the Ginetta championship, so he might actually have a clue what's going on. If he's not more interested in what colour to do his hair this week (Britain's answer to Jacques Villeneuve comes to the BTCC!!!)

I heard that Jay Kay had gained a racing licence and was going to be in the Fiesta challenge in 2001. It's not the world biggest step up to a guest drive, so perhaps...

Nick Mason should be drafted in too. He must be able to drive something relatively quickly??

Mike Smith used to race in it anyway, so bring him back.

Noel Edmonds. Apparently he used to be a reasonable driver once.

My final nomination is Jeremy Clarkson. Just for the entertainment value.

Old 1 Nov 2000, 19:06 (Ref:46215)   #8
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC
I guess we're doomed to Nige appearing - but only at the tracks he deems worthy (Silverstone, Brands Hatch and Donnington). You might get his autograph, but he'll probably charge you for it

I heard that Jay Kay had gained a racing licence and was going to be in the Fiesta challenge in 2001.
First things first - our Nige was pleasant to me, nattered for a while and the autograph - no hassle. Mind you he winges worse than us women!!!

And as for Jay Kaye - turned up for Silverstone testing but chickened out in the wet - so no thanks mate!!!

Old 1 Nov 2000, 19:45 (Ref:46218)   #9
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we do have Nige and Tiff then I hope its in the same race, as they do get on so well together!

Mike Smith??? Good grief you'll be wanting Frank Sytner back next.

I would think that Damon Hill would be an obvious target.

How about James Allen or Tony Jardine?
Old 2 Nov 2000, 10:29 (Ref:46326)   #10
MichaelC
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by RIKB
Mike Smith??? Good grief you'll be wanting Frank Sytner back next.

I would think that Damon Hill would be an obvious target.

How about James Allen or Tony Jardine?
Andy Rouse: Yes. Frank Sytner: No No No No NO (matron)

Damon would be an obvious target, but if he got into the lead, he'd want everyone to be told to stay behind him to ensure he won.

Tony Jardine: As I understand it, he's actually quite a good rally driver. Should fit in nicely then
Old 2 Nov 2000, 10:33 (Ref:46327)   #11
MichaelC
Veteran

This guest car

I was just wondering who was actually going to be running the thing. No-one is going to expect a celebrity to be competetive, but if we do end up with the likes of Nige, Tiff, or even someone like VB-H (please please please) then they're actually going to have some idea what they're doing, and will want to be in a car in which they won't just be trailing around at the back.

Therefore I assume that this 'guest' car will need to be run like a proper team, and I just wondered who was actually going to be responsible for it. Any ideas??