Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 10 Nov 2007, 01:25 (Ref:2064101)   #1
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nextel Cup-Checker Auto Parts 500-Phoenix

Just two races left before the chase is over. I really hope that Gordon wins here, and Sam Hornish Jr. finally qualified for a race.

Race Lineup:http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2007...ta/lineup.html
Old 10 Nov 2007, 20:48 (Ref:2064632)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice to see Sam, Jacques and Patrick in there.

Gordon seems a bit happier with things this weekend so we'll see how it goes. But Jimmie ran Harvick close in this event last season, so who knows which way it will go?

All about who makes the least mistakes and who takes the better gambles now. Tense!
Old 10 Nov 2007, 22:22 (Ref:2064672)   #3
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And where are they at with JPM and the rookie standings Knowles, not clinched (I don't think?). Who the heck knows...

Quote:
1 Juan Montoya 234 Leader $4,608,660
2 David Ragan 214 -20 $4,501,320
Old 11 Nov 2007, 01:18 (Ref:2064729)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rookie of the year is stacked in JPM's favour at the moment but, that said, a disaster of astronomic proportions this weekend and it will be tight for the last race at Homestead. Montoya has 3257 points, Ragan 3045.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 12:59 (Ref:2064911)   #5
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, like a DNF or two?

Quote:
Race winners throughout the 36-race season will now receive 185 points, a five-point increase. Counting the five-point bonuses available for leading at least one lap and leading the most laps, a race winner now can earn a maximum of 195 points, creating a possible maximum of 25 points between first- and second-place finishers.
And so, scoring counts down by 15's? Points paying positions only down to 12 that way (plus the available bonuses)? I'm sure it's been covered, but forgive me, I need to ask it again.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 13:09 (Ref:2064922)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

There are points wherever you finish.

Bonus points are 5 points for leading a lap, 5 for leading most laps.

185 for the win, 170 for second then it scales down by five points down to sixth place at 150 points, then scales by four points down to 11th at 130 points, then down by three points to last place which is worth 34 points. Hence the importance of running as many laps as possible and not retiring early on with crumpled bodywork and a car that handles like a oil liner.

So a start in itself is worth a decent bundle of points. Hence Ragan will struggle to make up those points on JPM.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 13:28 (Ref:2064935)   #7
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Oh, I see, same as the Prediction Comp. Thanks Knowlesy.

It looks like Juan's just gotta stay out of trouble, Ragan's starting 42nd.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 21:00 (Ref:2065168)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Looks like Villeneuve just got into the wall there on a corner exit. Hopefully not much damage, it was just a glancing blow.

Johnson about to pass Gordon.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 21:35 (Ref:2065190)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well something is wrong because he is rooted in last.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 21:50 (Ref:2065202)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Words to strike fear into everyone: "Robby Gordon is going to try to race these lead cars to get the free pass."

*shudder*
Old 11 Nov 2007, 22:06 (Ref:2065212)   #11
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Looks like Carl Edwards won't be going back to the track after qualifying on the pole.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 22:28 (Ref:2065229)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He was dominating until that engine failure, led every lap pretty much.

Sorry end for Jr too.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 03:32 (Ref:2065353)   #13
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Jeff Gordon's chances of winning the chase are very slim now, and I don't that that he will be able to do it.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 08:12 (Ref:2065409)   #14
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audio of JV's radio transmissions for the JV fans here http://www.poweracing.net/jvphoenix.wma

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 12 Nov 2007, 10:27 (Ref:2065483)   #15
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
another great win for jimmie - has really turned it on in the chase
Old 12 Nov 2007, 11:52 (Ref:2065523)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jimmie really does deserve the title with these 4 straight wins, its not as if Gordon hasn't been there just Jimmie is doing what it takes to win a championship. I still wanted Gordon to win though next week at Homestead as he has been there all year.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 12:39 (Ref:2065552)   #17
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
Audio of JV's radio transmissions for the JV fans here http://www.poweracing.net/jvphoenix.wma
Quote:
Let's get our game together for the restarts, we gotta get these restarts, we're losing too much position there.
Quote:
One coming on the inside, and 9 trying to force the issue on the outside...
Almost like being there, thanks V. No dozing-off behind the wheel in NASCAR huh? Stay frosty.

Another good run by JPM, I thought. 17th. As much of the race as I did see, he's looking pretty darn comfortable out there. Rookie standings: 21 - Juan Montoya* 3369; 23 - David Ragan* 3112. That's a lock isn't it? Well done Juan Pablo. As an F1 outsider looking in, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Jeff Gordon's chances of winning the chase are very slim now, and I don't think that he will be able to do it.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 13:31 (Ref:2065585)   #18
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Autosport's report JPM will be crowned Rookie of the Year at Homestead next week - presumably just by starting the race he'll do enough to clinch it. In fact a good run at Homestead could vault him as high as 17th in the overall standings - he's only 60pts behind McMurray. He's not going to be any lower than 21st so, with the rookie title won, he can just go for it. Really JPM's become a regular top-15ish runner over the second half of the season, and has had good runs on virtually every type of track - if he can build on that form and consistency into 2008 he's probably got an outside chance of making the Chase.

Overall Johnson really has blitzed the last 4 races and isn't an undeserving champion by any means - but it is a shame that for the 2nd time under the Chase format, Gordon has scored the most points overall but not won the Cup.

Last edited by J-C; 12 Nov 2007 at 13:33.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 14:18 (Ref:2065613)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Johnson has been the form man in the chase (along with his buddy Knaus) but really I feel terribly sorry for Gordon. Has done nothing wrong all year, 29 top ten finishes in 35 races and he is behind thanks to the Chase yet again.

If I was him I'd be having a major sulk, wondering why I am not on the verge of becoming a six times champion next week. But Jeff is a class act who just goes up in my estimation all the time, with comments such as these: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63898

But at Homestead last year Jimmie had a fraught and anxious race. Anything can happen and I, for one, hope it does.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 14:48 (Ref:2065640)   #20
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
A different thread but, frankly Knowles, I don't get the chase on any level, and never have. Drop it like a 2 foot putt!

Last edited by Last2LiftOff; 12 Nov 2007 at 14:50.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 15:05 (Ref:2065651)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Exactly. A racing season should read like a league table. All the seasons results added.

NASCAR, however, has been like a knockout tournament since 2004. I am not denying that all have been worthy champions since then (you can only work with the system you have after all) but it is awfully skewered at times.

Still, it is the marketing tool of choice and continues to crush all rivals into powder I suppose. It is similar to Bernie choosing F1 tracks for the money they offer rather than the so called purity.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 17:15 (Ref:2065755)   #22
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never liked the Chase and don't think I will be changing my mind. The driver with the most points over the entire season should be the Champion, not just for a specified number of races. What next, the two top drivers flip a coin at season's end.

However, we should not overlook that we may be watching history being made by Johnson and Knaus. They may very well go down as one of the great teams if they continue with their winning ways. Something like Gordon and Evernham were earlier on.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 17:31 (Ref:2065776)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Oh yeah, it can't be denied they are truly on it.

They seem to have this Chase thing nailed to perfection too. Eleven wins in total since its inception, the most for anyone else is four. And I believe Johnson has always been ahead of Gordon in the Chase too come seasons end.

Still hate it though.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 12:32 (Ref:2066503)   #24
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Was it me or was the Cot (much) less noticeable on the short track vs. Talladega speedway? If the introduction's proposed for 2009 what's the plan for 08 (more but not all Cot, like half)? One to go, Homestead. Cot or no?

Excuse me while I try to get caught-up (and there's just so much...stuff...on the NASCAR website).
Old 13 Nov 2007, 16:12 (Ref:2066654)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Homestead they are using the old car I think.

For 2008 we go full time with CoT. To be honest, it still needs a bit of work. It has its plus points. For example, your race isn't ruined if you make a little contact with someoene as the cars are sturdy. But the racing has suffered with this car for sure (varies from track to track).

I think Rusty Wallace suggested on the commnentary that Goodyear should perhaps revert to a softer tyre to help this as the tyres haven't been too great this season either, far too hard.