Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jan 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3012360)   #1
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The “Return to Power” for 1966 – 1971 3 litre F1 cars is go!

January 16th, 2012

The “Return to Power” for 1966 – 1971 3 litre F1 cars

The “Return to Power” is a new series for 3 litre Formula 1 cars from 1966 to 1971 and is set to kick off by taking centre stage at Brands Hatch on May 26/27 with the “Historic Race of Champions”.

The race is being promoted by historic racers Andrew Smith, Joe Twyman and Roger Wills together with Masters Historic Racing. It will provide an opportunity for owners of earlier F1 cars from this highly evocative era to race competitively, away from the later winged and ground-effect cars. The Historic Race of Champions will be run at the Masters Historic Festival at Brands Hatch, just two weeks after the Monaco Historic Grand Prix. Ace preparation company Hall & Hall is sponsoring the race and will add further weight since it has several customers with eligible cars.

Two races will be run for the cars over the weekend and Joe Twyman is confident of a healthy entry. “We are aiming for 20 cars, maybe more. The event will be two weeks after Monaco meaning that many cars will be race-ready and in Europe already and we want to gauge the competitor response before looking at more races.”

Andrew Smith and Roger Wills are both set to race their March 701s, Smith’s car being the ex-Jackie Stewart Tyrrell March that won the Daily Mail Race of Champions in 1970, and Wills’ being the ex-Chris Amon works car that won the Daily Express International Trophy in the same year.

“We want to provide a platform for these cars to race competitively on their own,” stresses Twyman. “Apart from Monaco every two years, there is no other race for this era of car and we want to change that.”

The race will run under Masters regulations with DFV-engined cars restricted to 10,000 rpm and tyres will be cut slicks. Due to the sponsorship provided by Hall & Hall the entry fees will be very competitive.

Plans are also underway to recreate the traditional award for pole position: 100 bottles of champagne to the driver who sets the fastest lap time in qualifying.

“We really want this to be a success,” says Masters Series boss Ron Maydon. “We are working hard to encourage owners of these cars to take to the track and we want this to be the start of something big.”

For more information on the Hall & Hall Historic Race of Champions, interested drivers and teams should contact:

The Masters Series office - +44 (0)1908 587 545 or team@themastersseries.com<mailto:tea...tersseries.com>

Joe Twyman - +44 (0)7827 926 894 or joe@twyman.co<mailto:joe@twyman.co>
Images attached of suitable cars copyright: GP Library. Images may be used but please carry copyright: GP Library as the photographic credit.

-ends-

Issued by Cloverleaf Media.
Media enquiries to David Addison at Cloverleaf Media, on +44 1925 438060, or on + 44 (0)7850 567400.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3012465)   #2
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news, Roger. Hope it's a successful project!
Old 17 Jan 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3012693)   #3
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Looking forward to it....Well done Roger et all

Last edited by John Turner; 21 Jan 2012 at 11:11. Reason: Claire, stop wasting space - LOL
Old 17 Jan 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3012712)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep sounds great,but!!!!!!.Have you not thought about letting in F2 cars and F5000. I believe they ran in Race of Champions in the day. "not sure about F2". Then two weeks after Monaco seems a bit close to me,do you not think you might loose a couple of cars there.
Looks like I will be at the Brands meeting so it will be great to turn the clock back, as I went to spectate at many Race of Champion's meetings when I was a lad.
If you are short of a driver and need someone with Historic F1 experience even Ferrari F1 experience then PM me Rog.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3012721)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great move, Roger. We never see enough of the early 3-litre cars out and when we do, they are normally at the back playing second fiddle to the later cars.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 09:20 (Ref:3012731)   #6
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
.... If you are short of a driver and need someone with Historic F1 experience even Ferrari F1 experience then PM me Rog.
Why?...do you know someone?????
Old 17 Jan 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3012920)   #7
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We are sending out invites to anyone with an eligible car and we can then see how the grid will look before opening it up. The discussions so far have been to allow F2 cars as that is what happened in period. Will keep you informed.

Of course anyone with an eligible car and who is interested, please contact Joe on the email or phone provided.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3012996)   #8
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would You take me with the March 721 if I ran it in 711 aero configuration i.e. the tea tray nose ?
Chassis is the same as March 711

certainly a boon for the earlier cars, they needed a break

buuuuuut: why a cut off date different to Monco new regs ?

and yes 72 cars have wings but the act more a airbrakes

Rudolf
Old 20 Jan 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3014694)   #9
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had a chat with Masters today.

they told that the cut off date has been moved to 1972.

We did not discuss the reason, but my guess is to bring it in line with Monaco.

I think this series is very good idea. Didnt feel right get blown into the weeds by the later ground effect cars.

Rudolf
Old 20 Jan 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3014712)   #10
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a great idea, I will definatley be there for it.

It's so good to get to see the cars age limitations stopped me seeing (by about 30 years). I really appreciate historic racing as I believe that the 60's - 70's was the golden era of F1, Sportscars, Touring Cars, etc.

Back when the drivers HAD to be properly brave.

Great idea Roger and co.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 23 Jan 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3015561)   #11
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
I had a chat with Masters today.

they told that the cut off date has been moved to 1972.

We did not discuss the reason, but my guess is to bring it in line with Monaco.

I think this series is very good idea. Didnt feel right get blown into the weeds by the later ground effect cars.

Rudolf
Rudolf,

I believe the cut-off has not been changed and remains at 1971. However, entries from 1972 cars running to 1971 spec will be considered on their merit on a case by case basis.

I believe they are happy for you to run the 721 in 711 spec.

Roger
Old 23 Jan 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3015688)   #12
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Rudolf,

I believe the cut-off has not been changed and remains at 1971. However, entries from 1972 cars running to 1971 spec will be considered on their merit on a case by case basis.

I believe they are happy for you to run the 721 in 711 spec.

Roger
Yes, there has been a misunderstanding.

The cut off situation is precisely as Roger describes it.

Rudolf
Old 26 Jan 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3017289)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm, very suitable:-

http://www.vprace.com/carsales/brabh...rabhambt33.htm

or a 'screamer' assuming it has reverted to 1970/71 spec!:-

http://www.artandrevs.com/matra-f1-m...v12/en/pr-13-1
Old 26 Jan 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3017295)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Love the Brabham- very pretty and look at those rear tyres...

When's the next lottery draw?
Old 26 Jan 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3017304)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'm first in line for that lottery win. The Matra V12 sound is stunning but for looks, I agree, that Brabham is truly superb.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 12:48 (Ref:3017305)   #16
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Hmmm, very suitable:-

http://www.vprace.com/carsales/brabh...rabhambt33.htm

or a 'screamer' assuming it has reverted to 1970/71 spec!:-

http://www.artandrevs.com/matra-f1-m...v12/en/pr-13-1
Well spotted John!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3017795)   #17
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to todays' press release from Masters the cut-off date is now 1972, so it would be nice to see a Lotus 72 running by way of a tribute to Emerson Fittipaldi.

In 1972 there were no less than four F1 races at Brands Hatch - Race of Champions, British GP, Rothmans 50,000 & John Player Victory race - & Emerson won three of them for JPS Team Lotus, ironically only missing-out on the Victory race run in recognition of his World Championship success.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3017835)   #18
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
According to todays' press release from Masters the cut-off date is now 1972, so it would be nice to see a Lotus 72 running by way of a tribute to Emerson Fittipaldi.

In 1972 there were no less than four F1 races at Brands Hatch - Race of Champions, British GP, Rothmans 50,000 & John Player Victory race - & Emerson won three of them for JPS Team Lotus, ironically only missing-out on the Victory race run in recognition of his World Championship success.
Well spotted John. Unfortunately it was a typo. The cut-off is 31/12/1971.

We debated this long and hard when we first discussed the concept but it was agreed that the performance barrier took a huge leap forward in 1972 (especially compared to say a '66 car). We feel the 72 and later cars already have a place to run competitively - Grand Prix Masters and Historic F1.

So the cut-off remains 31/12/1971. We are happy to hear from any owners of 1972 cars.

In the case of Rudolf's car, we agreed to accept it while being a 72 spec car provided it ran in 1971 spec.

Apologies for any confusion that this typo has created.

Roger
Old 27 Jan 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3017851)   #19
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Oh well... it was a nice idea whilst it lasted! To think that I was at all four of those races in 1972 - makes me feel old!
Old 28 Jan 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3018317)   #20
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Roger....

I have just read the Stewart feature in Autosport.

First time I heard about the British F1 championship in the late 60ies.
Stewart won it.

4 races,
Race of Champions
Gold Cup
British GP
one I cant recall, just look it up

How about building Your race into a revival of that ?

Rudolf
Old 29 Jan 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3018558)   #21
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Nice idea Rudolf. Lets make the first one a success and see where we go from there.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3018561)   #22
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Nice idea Rudolf. Lets make the first one a success and see where we go from there.

Yes,
build it, step by step

best concept

Rudolf
Old 30 Jan 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3018852)   #23
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Roger....

4 races,
Race of Champions
Gold Cup
British GP
one I cant recall, just look it

Rudolf
Probably the International Trophy at Silverstone.
Old 5 Feb 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3021923)   #24
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dessert Fantastic!

As a massive 3 litre F1 fan - I'm from that era - I massively applaud this innitiative. Superb. As spring is a bit busy - two abroad travels - I doubt if Brands fits my schedule and wallet. A 'maybe' but this one will be campaigned.