Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Dec 2009, 20:00 (Ref:2605455)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The probable future of F1 engines

At least, according to some engineers that James Allen has spoken to.

500cc turbos! I reckoned on as much as 1000cc myself.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/1...e-the-engines/
Old 27 Dec 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2605470)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think we'll get 500cc motors in the next generation, that would be a huge step down in power and would be a cost nightmare as they would be so unreliable.
Old 27 Dec 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2605479)   #3
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1000cc turbos running on ethanol will do me and that cranky old bag mother nature
Old 27 Dec 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2605480)   #4
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As engine technology progresses we'll be heading towards that, though there would probably be a generation of 2.0l turbos before that.

Ford have a 500cc two cylinder twin turbo capable of 100bhp, the amount of power your average 1.6l NA inline four currently does, giving better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 27 Dec 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2605486)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
300-400 horsepower? Isn't that F3 - GP2 territory?
Old 28 Dec 2009, 00:06 (Ref:2605511)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post

Ford have a 500cc two cylinder twin turbo capable of 100bhp, the amount of power your average 1.6l NA inline four currently does, giving better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.
Honda had a CX500 turbo road bike in the early eighties that put out around 97 bhp.

Lots of car manufacturers are now down-sizing their petrol engines and sticking turbos on them (Typically 120-160 bhp from a 1.4 turbo). They are much more economical than equivellant power naturally aspirated engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
300-400 horsepower? Isn't that F3 - GP2 territory?
They will also recover additional power via hybrid systems etc.

Also, what will "F3 -GP2 territory" be in a few seasons time?
Old 28 Dec 2009, 01:13 (Ref:2605521)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In short I think James Allen has either been the victim of a urine extraction operation or he has misunderstood the Global Race Engine concept. The first series looking likely to adopt a version of the GRE is the WRC but F1 will likely go the same route.
F1 engines will almost certainly get smaller (1600cc - 2000cc) and more efficient. Probably based on the GRE concept, this could all be backed up by various energy recovery systems to give a high performance level.

I'll put what some top engineers actually said up in the new year. I'd do it sooner but that would involve going to the office
Old 28 Dec 2009, 02:41 (Ref:2605532)   #8
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Glad people are still buying into the global warming hoax. I can see the need to be more efficient, and move to newer technology, but lets cut the crap on the reasoning behind it. Unless the KERS systems are going to promote development, rather than be too restricted and limited, then I don't see much purpose in them on a fossil fueled powerplant. Just like current hybrids, that are outperformed by diesels in most circumstances.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 02:44 (Ref:2605533)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
What part of the world are you from then...
Old 28 Dec 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2605577)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer41 View Post
Just like current hybrids, that are outperformed by diesels in most circumstances.
Agreed. Honda and Toyota's gutless petrol hybrids (Insight, Prius) are out-performed in every area by most manufacturers 1.4/1.6 turbo diesel engined cars, and at less cost to the environment.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2605581)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post

I'll put what some top engineers actually said up in the new year. I'd do it sooner but that would involve going to the office
The FIA recently put forward the idea of 1000cc compound turbo engines, but that seems not to be the case now. It looks like we're heading headlong towards the universal 'one-size-fits-all' (maybe even made by just one manufacturer!) petrol/diesel road/racing engine.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2605593)   #12
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The FIA recently put forward the idea of 1000cc compound turbo engines, but that seems not to be the case now. It looks like we're heading headlong towards the universal 'one-size-fits-all' (maybe even made by just one manufacturer!) petrol/diesel road/racing engine.
If that is the case we are headed towards the probable extinction of motor sport as anything other thana sort of down market entertainment medium like Wrestling.
The turbo compound 1ltr formula with all the energy saving and enhancement modes alowed sounds about right. And of course some design freedom to make the whole show technically relevent.
KERS was a smart moove, strangled at birth.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2605596)   #13
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can get 1000 HP out of a 1.3 litre engine. But then thats 30 year old rotary engine tech, too superior for F1

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2605637)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
You can get 1000 HP out of a 1.3 litre engine. But then thats 30 year old rotary engine tech, too superior for F1
1500 bhp from 1.5 litres of V6 turbo wasn't unheard of in early 80s F1.

RX8 owners will tell you that the engines are relatively powerful and quiet, but lack torque, eat fuel and oil, are high polluters and you'll also become best friends with the Mazda dealership, because no one else will touch them.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2605658)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I also posted this article in another thread, but it seems relevant for this one too.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80685
Old 28 Dec 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2605723)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Too much time on someone's hands.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2605725)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
F1 cars should be producing approx 1000BHP, whatever configuration I am open to debate on, but I dont want to be watching cars with F3 levels of power. Make it a V6 turbo, or a straight 4 supercharged, whatever, it has to be approaching 1000BHP.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2605728)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having read this thread so far, I'm going to make a modest proposal here.

• 2000cc twin turbo
  • Minimum of four, maximum of six cylinders
  • Rev limits.
  • A good old CART-style popoff valve that shuts off the turbo if the pressure gets too high
  • VVT, VGT amongst others allowed provided the software is homologated.
  • All computer innards must be on a standard chip with a full copy of the source code to be given to the FIA and then released to the other teams at the final race of the season.
  • Frequent chassis dyno tests to ensure that the engines aren't getting more than 750hp. If they are, the boost pressures or rev limits will be cut down.
  • Five engines per season.
  • A method of ensuring that the teams lower down the fields will get brand new motors for a reasonable cost.
  • Four year engine cycle, certain parts may be tweaked between years, software to be homologated for a year provided no new hardware is needed.
  • Maximum fuel use per race.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2605741)   #19
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Having read this thread so far, I'm going to make a modest proposal here.

• 2000cc twin turbo
  • Minimum of four, maximum of six cylinders
  • Rev limits.
  • A good old CART-style popoff valve that shuts off the turbo if the pressure gets too high
  • VVT, VGT amongst others allowed provided the software is homologated.
  • All computer innards must be on a standard chip with a full copy of the source code to be given to the FIA and then released to the other teams at the final race of the season.
  • Frequent chassis dyno tests to ensure that the engines aren't getting more than 750hp. If they are, the boost pressures or rev limits will be cut down.
  • Five engines per season.
  • A method of ensuring that the teams lower down the fields will get brand new motors for a reasonable cost.
  • Four year engine cycle, certain parts may be tweaked between years, software to be homologated for a year provided no new hardware is needed.
  • Maximum fuel use per race.
Some very worthwhile points inthis suggestion.The only one I would take issue with is the limit of 750hp.The rev limit and the fuel usage,combined with the need to make an engine last several races should provide enough limitation.
There have been suggestions that a general purpose engine could be recommended by the FIA for a number of different activities.It may turn out to be a four cylinder with no turbo for some series and with at least one turbo and more than one boost level for other disciplines.
It would be good if the next set of regulations encourage creative engineering rather then the endless refinement of trivial details that we are becoming too familiar with.Improving the specific fuel consumption and keeping the speed below 15000 rpm might be helpful in any attempt to justify the endeavour to shareholders or politicians.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2605748)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Too much time on someone's hands.
It maybe that he's just interested in F1.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2605750)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
It would be good if the next set of regulations encourage creative engineering rather then the endless refinement of trivial details that we are becoming too familiar with.Improving the specific fuel consumption and keeping the speed below 15000 rpm might be helpful in any attempt to justify the endeavour to shareholders or politicians.
Agreed. Spending millions to improve upon 20,000 plus rpm is a do-able but pointless excercise. Even 15,000 rpm is way above what is needed in the 'real world'.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2605813)   #22
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 cars should be exciting though.

Those are good points, I think a 1000 cc turbo with up to 8 cylinders would provide good excitement for an F1 engine!
Old 28 Dec 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2605816)   #23
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
RX8 owners will tell you that the engines are relatively powerful and quiet, but lack torque, eat fuel and oil, are high polluters and you'll also become best friends with the Mazda dealership, because no one else will touch them.
Just a small note (because it's something that bugs me) the oil consumption of rotary motors is deliberate, that's how they stay alive!
Old 28 Dec 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2605819)   #24
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Honda had a CX500 turbo road bike in the early eighties that put out around 97 bhp.

Lots of car manufacturers are now down-sizing their petrol engines and sticking turbos on them (Typically 120-160 bhp from a 1.4 turbo). They are much more economical than equivellant power naturally aspirated engines.

They will also recover additional power via hybrid systems etc.

Also, what will "F3 -GP2 territory" be in a few seasons time?
As suspension and tyres and aero gets more advanced cars need less power to maintain the same lap times.

A modern GT2 car with a 4.0l engine and around 400bhp is pulling the same laptimes around Mosport as an 8.0l 1100bhp Can-Am care used to.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 29 Dec 2009, 02:39 (Ref:2605838)   #25
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1500 bhp from 1.5 litres of V6 turbo wasn't unheard of in early 80s F1.
They lasted for 3 or 4 laps. Some more miles and they exploded.

Modern F1 engines are intended to last 3 or 4 GPs