Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Oct 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3932785)   #476
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Chilton could easily afford to if he was that way inclined - but he doesn't go racing to spend his family's money.
Are you serious? That’s what the Gallagher ‘sponsorship’ is.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 20:14 (Ref:3932789)   #477
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Could a step up to full title sponsor for 2 Motorbase cars be on the cards for Gallagher? 🤔 There was obviously a fair chunk put in by them this year to be in the title with SW
Old 8 Oct 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3932799)   #478
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Gallagher is not the Chilton family money.
Grahame left the firm in 2018. He may have brokered the deal, but it's someone else's money he's spending - a much smarter way to back his son's career.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3932800)   #479
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When it comes to Sutton, you're right, it seems problematic as you don't associate him with big sponsors. I doubt I can name his 'personal' backers. Therefore, it's going to be difficult for him to find a decent seat, let alone likes of WSR, which I would also like to see. Staying at BMR would be almost disastrous as I see no prospect of them progressing. In fact, since 2017 it's been downhill for them. I feel Infiniti is likely but I doubt it'd be good for him.

When it comes to Chilton, I also thought of Gallagher stepping up to become a title sponsor of Motorbase. I wouldn't rule it out.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3932801)   #480
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sutton has got so much talent, I’m sure there would be someone somewhere willing to run him, even if it is not in the BTCC
Old 8 Oct 2019, 20:51 (Ref:3932803)   #481
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
When it comes to Sutton, you're right, it seems problematic as you don't associate him with big sponsors. I doubt I can name his 'personal' backers. Therefore, it's going to be difficult for him to find a decent seat, let alone likes of WSR, which I would also like to see.
Looking at his helmet he's actually got quite a few. I'm sure being a championship winner will attract a few as well. Though you're probably right, not sure he'd be in WSR's range, unless they funded a 3rd 'Team BMW' entry.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 21:48 (Ref:3932808)   #482
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Looking at his helmet he's actually got quite a few. I'm sure being a championship winner will attract a few as well. Though you're probably right, not sure he'd be in WSR's range, unless they funded a 3rd 'Team BMW' entry.
Lol, would they need to fund a 1st and a 2nd such entry first?
Old 8 Oct 2019, 22:04 (Ref:3932809)   #483
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Moffat will buy BMR and rename it BMR (Bob Moffat Racing)
And run Aiden and Ash Sutton

Rob Austin will be in a 2nd Corolla. (Robs wife is related to Christian Dick)

Jordan will be on the grid but not with WSR.

Motorbase will have new cars.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 22:44 (Ref:3932815)   #484
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Bob Moffat will buy BMR and rename it BMR (Bob Moffat Racing)
And run Aiden and Ash Sutton

Rob Austin will be in a 2nd Corolla. (Robs wife is related to Christian Dick)

Jordan will be on the grid but not with WSR.

Motorbase will have new cars.
I can see at least two of those, and likely three coming true.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 06:32 (Ref:3932846)   #485
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Boardley was disappointing, and although Crees has been a great personality I still don't think he's quite on the BTCC level, but I would guess he'll stay on for next year.
During Silverstone BTCC Live on FB Crees was asked if he was back with hard next year, he said he had offers from some other teams and it would be dependant on sponsorship being found.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 06:54 (Ref:3932858)   #486
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
All down to money as are most things. Tony offers the cheapest way into BTCC by far, others may have newer cars or more staff per car or more experienced engineers etc etc but at a greater cost.

The #HARD driver line up was completed very early in post season last year, those wanting/ thinking about a ride need their skates on. I expect Goff will be off, but cash or lack of it is key.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 07:48 (Ref:3932866)   #487
S700UBO
Racer

Scotland
Inverness
S700UBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

The #HARD driver line up was completed very early in post season last year, those wanting/ thinking about a ride need their skates on. I expect Goff will be off, but cash or lack of it is key.
Were HARD not in place before the end of the year? whats Aron Taylor-Smith and Brett Smith up to now a days?
Old 9 Oct 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3932867)   #488
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
3rd? I doubt Oliphant is there based on talent alone....if he is then Sutton has to be a better bet
Old 9 Oct 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3932869)   #489
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S700UBO View Post
Were HARD not in place before the end of the year? whats Aron Taylor-Smith and Brett Smith up to now a days?
ATS has a had a pretty underwhelming year driving a Mustang GT4 in BGT alongside Sam Smelt. I think Brett was racing in the VW Cup?
Old 9 Oct 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3932882)   #490
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S700UBO View Post
They were, Tony will take a deposit off the first 4 with the cash pretty much (except Bushell last year but that's a whole different story).

Bobby had other options but the HARD deal left enough money to pay him & his Dad a bit.

Oliphant definitely brings a big cheque to WSR but he's no slouch behind the wheel.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 09:55 (Ref:3932884)   #491
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I saw the new 1-series today. I am glad WSR chose to go with the 3-series... (wretchgif.gif).
Old 9 Oct 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3932885)   #492
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
All down to money as are most things. Tony offers the cheapest way into BTCC by far, others may have newer cars or more staff per car or more experienced engineers etc etc but at a greater cost.
Bearing that in mind I think they do a pretty decent job. They seem to get a lot of stick, is it really justified?
Old 9 Oct 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3932897)   #493
S700UBO
Racer

Scotland
Inverness
S700UBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Bearing that in mind I think they do a pretty decent job. They seem to get a lot of stick, is it really justified?
i think that comes from when they tried to run 4 new cars straight off the bat, BMR came in and did a decent job with them scoring points and podiums.

I personally dont have an issue with them
Old 9 Oct 2019, 11:48 (Ref:3932901)   #494
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
I cant see Subaru being back next year that car is as quick as the rules are ever going to let it be and Subaru dont have a model in the uk that they can realistically replace it with. Also cant see Sutton staying at BMR just so he has a guaranteed seat. You can see he is becoming frustrated with how slow the car is over the last few meetings
Old 9 Oct 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3932914)   #495
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Also cant see Sutton staying at BMR just so he has a guaranteed seat. You can see he is becoming frustrated with how slow the car is over the last few meetings
Suttons contract with Warren ends this year so you'd imagine he'll be looking to move elsewhere, rumours are he's off to Australia to do V8 Supercars.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3932915)   #496
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Subaru dont have a model in the uk that they can realistically replace it with.
https://www.subaru.co.uk/impreza
Old 9 Oct 2019, 13:42 (Ref:3932918)   #497
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Why would they use the Impreza? Will use the same engine, same engine mounting points etc as the Levorg so really isn't worth it
Old 9 Oct 2019, 13:54 (Ref:3932920)   #498
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Why would they use the Impreza? Will use the same engine, same engine mounting points etc as the Levorg so really isn't worth it
The engine mounting points are defined by the NGTC subframes, the wheelbases are different between the models so the engine location (in relation to ROPS reference points) will naturally differ as part of NGTC build requirements.

They could also, with either Impreza or Levorg, put the TOCA engine in.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 14:05 (Ref:3932921)   #499
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The engine mounting points are defined by the NGTC subframes, the wheelbases are different between the models so the engine location (in relation to ROPS reference points) will naturally differ as part of NGTC build requirements.

They could also, with either Impreza or Levorg, put the TOCA engine in.
Presumably ditching the boxer engine would also affect the CoG? Be interesting if another team did take the Levorg on and run them with the TOCA engines...
Old 9 Oct 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3932924)   #500
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think all of the Subaru's speed came from the benefits of that unique engine layout. I think if you just stuck the regular Swindon unit in there the car would be a complete dog relative to other RWD options.