Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2002, 04:50 (Ref:244225)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
F1 Stats: Reliability and some probabilities for this season

Last season total race reliability (this is, if car finish the race ot not, whatever the reason) had an average of 61% (minimum 10 finishers, maximum 17 finishers). It implies that approximately one driver has a prob of 61% to finish.

This year we have:
AUS: 8/21 (38%)
MAL: 13/22 (59%)
-----------------
Total: 21/43 (49%)

We know in AUS we had a 10 car pile-up in first lap, and it made a very low race reliability (last year the minimum number of finishers was 10). Anyway, the group of 11 survivors had a reliability of 8/11 (73%) that is not low at all.

Being a bit playful with the numbers, we can deduce some curious calculations. Reliability less than perfect is what makes possible for lesser teams to get some points, and to even get podium positions. If we supose that overtaking is minimal and reliability was about the same for every team, we can derive probs for those events. I put them here just for entertainment and not claiming any particularly good forecasting accuracy:

Prob of podium with Ferrari-Williams-McLaren: 83%
Prob of podium position with another team in it: 17%
Prob of points position for Sauber: 63%
Prob of podium for Sauber: 10%
Prob of points position for Renault: 64%
Prob of podium for Renault: 6%
Prob of points position for Jordan: 44%
Prob of podium for Sauber: 3%
Prob of points in any of the next 15 GPs for Minardi: 2%

Thanks for the patience
Old 26 Mar 2002, 06:50 (Ref:244253)   #2
DavyboyLT1
Racer

DavyboyLT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on statistics I've compiled from the first 2 races this year, there is a 100% probability of a Williams and a Ferrari having an "incident" of some sort at the first corner on lap 1 in Brazil.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 07:25 (Ref:244260)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent, well done.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 09:46 (Ref:244290)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent stuff - thanks.

One problem - why assume that overtaking is minimal? The likelihood of a poor qualifyier finishing much higher than his start position is minimal, but overtaking is not neary as limited as it first seems. TV coverage has been rubbish, and we have missed alot of moves, but overtaking is there.

Renault have got to be the hot tip for Brazil, in my opinion. Going well, Michelin tyres, good drivers...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 11:44 (Ref:244319)   #5
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good work. I have just completed a Statistics exam today and I looks as if I may get you to sit the next one for me.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 12:12 (Ref:244326)   #6
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Champ69 LOL.

Glen, I have assumed minimal overtaking just because it is easier to calculate and it's not totally unaccurate. I agree with your point of view about Renault, I hope it isn't wishful thinking of us.

Thanks.

PS: My guess about the first corner customary W/F incident is MS with Ralf or Rubens with JPM (those are the remaining combinations)
Old 26 Mar 2002, 20:04 (Ref:244639)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DavyboyLT1
Based on statistics there is a 100% probability of a Williams and a Ferrari having an "incident" of some sort at the first corner on lap 1 in Brazil.
has anyone worked out the proberbility of jpm being blamed and getting a penalty?
Old 26 Mar 2002, 20:07 (Ref:244641)   #8
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's lies, damned lies and statistics - Minardi will get more points this season!!
Old 27 Mar 2002, 00:39 (Ref:244842)   #9
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice stuff Schummy

What I'd like to know is the probability that one of the Arrows remains stranded on the grid at the start of a race

Old 27 Mar 2002, 01:01 (Ref:244848)   #10
dman007
Racer

dman007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's that saying, figures lie, and liars figure?

Interesting stuff Schummy. Are you going to give us up to date stats following each race? Undoubtedly, you will be able to come up with some new categories as each race unfolds.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 02:35 (Ref:244873)   #11
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Sure! I have a lot of statistical sillynesses yet in my pocket If next races are boring I'll have to make calculations to camouflage it

I hope when season advances Minardi will get more (statistical) chances to take points. I always thought Giancarlo Minardi was a nice person, and I find Stoddart as a worthy follower (c:
Old 28 Mar 2002, 16:04 (Ref:245962)   #12
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Playful with numbers, yes. Forgive the pedantry, but this ain't statistics -- it's reading chicken entrails. Or, to put it more technically, the extrapolations are based on an entirely inadequate data set!
Old 28 Mar 2002, 17:12 (Ref:245988)   #13
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Yes, I know This is not Levy-Pareto stable distributions or General Autorregresive Conditional Heterocedasticity time series model But, what the hell, we are having a bit of fun here
Old 28 Mar 2002, 17:15 (Ref:245991)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nice!
Should get a bit better with more races.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 19:10 (Ref:246074)   #15
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out-syllabled, by god! I'm humbled; gag me with a two-tailed, bi-modal distribution! I limp from the statistical field trailing a few irrational numbers behind me.

(And I cannot resist the observation that, based on a statistical analysis of my single prior contribution to this thread, I'm a humourless dolt .So I'll try to resist giving further data points to support that inference...)

Last edited by Bibendum; 28 Mar 2002 at 19:13.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 19:53 (Ref:246115)   #16
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

So funny, Bibendum! And that use of the "smiley-in-the-bag" is a classic!

Now, let's see what the weekend brings to us... maybe a lot more (admittedly silly) numbers. The statician in me would hate it but I'd like to see a Minardi in the podium =:-o Oh, well! It would be as rare as Ferrari and Williams going thru first corner untangled! (zero, null, vanishing probability?)