Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:04 (Ref:733096)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Juan to forget for... Juan

What a terrible race from Montoya, I thought it was a slightly clumbsy move on Rubens, and he could have waited for a few more laps.

It seemed like everything that could go wrong did go wrong;
Bad start,
collision,
fuel hose failure,
pit penalty,
slid off track,
wrong tyres.

So sad...
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:05 (Ref:733100)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:06 (Ref:733102)   #3
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better luck next year JPM
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:08 (Ref:733108)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes a nightmare of a race. Some his own doing, but most not. A shame for the championship too.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:10 (Ref:733116)   #5
Yunis
Rookie

Yunis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fia should not have penalised him, ive seen worse moves in recent yrs and they have gone unpunished....oh well being a monto fan i feel for him, he should have won that race had it been dry!!
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:10 (Ref:733117)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I have to say that i thought he was unlucky when it came to the drive through, we've seen worse go unpunished before. However, that wasn't the only thing that cost him the championship, bad weather, bad pit stop and for the first time in nine races a bad race from him personally.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:15 (Ref:733130)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gutted !
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:21 (Ref:733149)   #8
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This race is another good example why I think there should only be 1 tyre. If everyone had the same tyre, then the drivers could make more of a difference in the wet.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:24 (Ref:733158)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunate for Juan, definitely.
A bad start (is it due to the off-racing line?), the drive through, and difficult weather lost him the race.In fact, Juan seemed to lost hope immediately after all those incidents, his second half of the race is forgettable.

The punishment is harsh considering it is in the fight for a championship and how the move is brave, if not a little on the unneccessary side. However, he had himself to blame for being too impatient and forcing his way through knowing Rubens aint going to just sit aside. He is lucky in fact to be undamaged out of the incident and finish with 3 points for William's WCC.

Better luck next year...much as i feel sorry for Juan, i also do feel relief that it's now down to 2 drivers.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:26 (Ref:733166)   #10
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
i also do feel relief that it's now down to 2 drivers.

Why's that Gt_R?:confused:

I'd have prefered a 3 way fight.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:32 (Ref:733173)   #11
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
No way. It's over. The best man has won. If he hasn't after Suzuka, it won't be due to anything Kimi has done. Everything that happened to Ferrari No.1 today was down to the man driving it. It was his patience and strength of character as he slithered back down to 6th or whatever, that was the crucial point. I reckon just about any other driver would have gone off under those circumstances, but he stayed on. It was a tremendous performance.
It ought to go to the best driver and the best team.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:33 (Ref:733176)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
Why's that Gt_R?:confused:

Because it's easier for TGF when he only needs to take off one driver, than having to take off two.

All joking aside, Juan's penalty was ludicrous. So, have I got this right, the officials don't want to see overtaking attempts? Penalties should be for blatantly and deliberately running into someone, not for racing incidents. Idiots.

Last edited by R; 28 Sep 2003 at 20:35.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:43 (Ref:733204)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to my spies in the Football Association,a nyone who has a shot at goal in next weekend's matches will be booked. Daring to try to play comeptitively to win a second time will result in dismissal.

That appears to be the FIA's logic. Either that or "how dare anyone try to beat Ferrari? Haven't they given any thought to Bernie, who's yougn wife only gives him pleasure when Ferrari have won?"

It really ahs been a dismal season for Montoya's luck, at crucial times. The failure in Asutria, the contact in Malaysia, the pitstops in France, and now this. He's made a few mistakes of his own,a dn the one here might've set all the event sinto motion, but it's still more than he deserved. Still,t ehre's always 2004.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:49 (Ref:733221)   #14
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by R
Because it's easier for TGF when he only needs to take off one driver, than having to take off two.

Rubens did it at Hockenheim this year didn't he?
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:50 (Ref:733225)   #15
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by R

Ralf did it at Hockenheim this year didn't he?
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:52 (Ref:733228)   #16
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
OK, I'm going to go out on a limb regarding that penalty. It was a close call by the stewards, yes. If they were going to declare it as JPM's fault - that was the mildest penalty they have to offer.
And as regards it being a penalty on trying to overtake - I'll just point out Nurburgring. The FIA do have some discretion, and aren't all evil, despite what some people may think!
Old 28 Sep 2003, 21:16 (Ref:733254)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michael doesn't have to take out Montoya...Juan's too eager to take himself out!(which he failed...hence FIA's intervention)

Anyways, it is appropriate that Michael win the WDC this year, if he does, simply because he's still the best out there!
Old 28 Sep 2003, 21:44 (Ref:733278)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp

And as regards it being a penalty on trying to overtake - I'll just point out Nurburgring. The FIA do have some discretion, and aren't all evil, despite what some people may think!
JPM didn't touch Michael in Nurburgring, there was no reason to give him a penalty there in a million years.

Imo, there are too many inconsistancies regarding penalties. Sato took out his own team mate in Maylasia 2002 and got no penalty, JPM tried overtaking Rubens today, which imo was no worse than Sato but got a penalty???
Old 28 Sep 2003, 21:47 (Ref:733281)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
True, however people cannot deny that Rubens is/was/ there to interfere with Montoya's/Kimi's race, just like Ralf would have been there to upset and battle with TGF and Kimi, how far each would have gone to upset each other is another matter.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 22:25 (Ref:733316)   #20
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schu can overtake under yellow, JPM can't get involved in a 50/50 move, a discrace. That's it for another year then.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 22:38 (Ref:733327)   #21
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, mods could you please remove/edit BootsOnTheOtherside 's ridiculous comment about Bernie Ecclestone and his Wife. I do think this deserves a warning. This sort of nonsense is completely unacceptable, particularly after the specific warning that was put on this forum regarding derogatory comments.

Perhaps have a break Boots' and come back later with an apology.

Splatz.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 22:55 (Ref:733339)   #22
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Asp. The JPM penalty was a very close call, and I hated to see it, but I think it was correct. JPM tried and failed to get ahead of Rubens, then forced the issue when he clearly should have backed off. He was rightly PO'ed at RB for holding him up at the start, but getting even should have been a lot less important than staying in the hunt for the championship.

I'm a JPM fan; I was rooting for him today and I'll root for him next year, but that was bad driving.

P.S. Michael made his controversial pass on the straight, so the yellow flag at the corner didn't matter. No penalty was the correct call.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 22:59 (Ref:733341)   #23
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand the reasoning for JPM's penalty in the actual rules and how they read. But I would agree that its enforcement has been inconsistent for many years.

Damon...I remember a few races ago when another 50/50 move happened between JPM and MS no by your logic, shouldn't have montoya been banned or penalized several points? I don't think thats what happened, the stewards made a judgment in both cases.

If I am not mistaken, I think that there are different, national, stewards for each race. If thats true, i would rely best on the US ones. They don't really follow F1 and so are probably less likely to have a bias [/joking]

Last edited by avsfan733; 28 Sep 2003 at 23:00.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 23:07 (Ref:733345)   #24
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rule in general is flawed, no driver would deliberatly ram another driver off the road (well perhaps one would), but by effectively ending the race of a driver, who had already lost out due to what happened, is insane. They are trying to promote more overtaking, penalising a driver every time they have a go isn't going to help matters. I have to say I'm extremely disillusioned by what has happened this evening.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 23:15 (Ref:733352)   #25
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
actions have consequences, he went for an risky move and it screwed up his WDC chances, it happens