Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2004, 23:44 (Ref:902569)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will McLaren empty the sandbags???

It wasn't too hard to spot the McLarens were sandbagging during the race. The revs were way down and the air temp was too cold for "their" Mich's to work properly. Hopefully the team will have the confidence to turn it up a notch. The temps will hopefully be blistering in Malaysia to favour the Michelin runners. Then we shall see close competition. Melbourne was nothing more than a temporary glitch for the Mercs.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 23:58 (Ref:902576)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah.

As a McLaren fan, I have to say I'm not convinced.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 00:08 (Ref:902584)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
They were'nt sandbagging, they were just slow!

Dont worry though, Ron and Co. are'nt new to this game, and a few late nights will see them further up the grid. Ferrari, Williams and McLaren are the 3 teams you should never underestimate, even when they are down.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 00:29 (Ref:902597)   #4
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sandbagging???

Oh yeah, of course they were, smart move trying to avoid those weight penalti..what... ahhh no weight penalties... Well it was a smart move avoiding all the carnage up the front to maximise their poi.... really? No carnage...ahhh okay...

Reality check, McLaren weren't even the Second fastest cars on Michelins.. If they were preserving there cars, they've got some very very serious woes (that won't be fixed by a couple of late nights)... Why? Because that car should be the most developed of any of the cars on the grid...
Old 12 Mar 2004, 00:50 (Ref:902617)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chappelli
If they were preserving there cars, they've got some very very serious woes (that won't be fixed by a couple of late nights)... Why? Because that car should be the most developed of any of the cars on the grid...
Agree with that!

Mac has had plenty of time to get this car straight, and they havn't been able to do it. There must be something fundamentally wrong with this car, and it doesn't look as though it will be a quick fix.

As for the revs being down, maybe they just don't trust the engines reliability. Not looking good!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 01:58 (Ref:902656)   #6
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amen GP Racer...

And just to keep the sarcasm ratio up....

I'm about to post a new topic; "When will Minardi Empty the Sandbags!!!"... The crafty buggers have had us fooled for years!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 03:44 (Ref:902718)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Never fear,David Coultards there,with a series of heroic drives I'm sure he will come through and clinch the WDC by 1 point at Brazil
Old 12 Mar 2004, 03:45 (Ref:902719)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some people need to pull their head out of the sand... To be perfectly honest this sort of talk really makes me want to stop visiting this forum. As for having the confidence to raise the revs, what would give them that confidence. If they were indeed sandbagging for reliability they weren't doing it enough!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 03:54 (Ref:902729)   #9
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor Kimi, if he was capable of showing emotions I think he would take it out on his m b road car on the way to the hotel and blow it's engine up too. No really I feel for those boys, car should be fast but for the engine. Will m b spend some bucks and build some revs and reliability into there lumps? Was it just bad luck or is there a problem that will cost some races and alot of duetchmarks(spelling?) to solve. I want to see the man that can keep m s honest in a fast car, maybe we could get him shipped to renealt
Old 12 Mar 2004, 06:22 (Ref:902860)   #10
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC might go quicker if he took his ego out the car.

Anyone ever noticed the resemblence between DC and Kryton from Red Dwarf
Old 12 Mar 2004, 12:12 (Ref:903129)   #11
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome F1Pete. Are you insane???
Old 12 Mar 2004, 12:52 (Ref:903168)   #12
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the heat might benifit the michellins but ain't gonna do much good for the merc engine. so Malaysia might not be a mclaren track.did anyone see in autosport that in Oz mclaren did the least laps in friday practise and kimis enging still blew on lap 9. the question should be really When the hell are merc gonna get there backsides into gear?
Old 12 Mar 2004, 12:59 (Ref:903178)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I bet McLaren are kicking themselves tht they didn't have F1Pete on hand in Melbourne - if only they'd known that they simply needed to turn up the rev limit a bit! As for tyres - don't know if you spotted it Pete, but three other teams were faster than McLaren on the same tyres.

The Mercedes problem is very real, but presumably once they get around it the rev limit will go back up to where it should be and all will be well (in other words I assue that the design is fine overall, but with a few problems). But they have other problems too, as evidenced by the chronic understeer from both cars - the team has a long way to go, ad all the time Renault and BAR aren't going to get any worse.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 13:03 (Ref:903189)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's an evil plan, we all know Ron all too well. I think they'll induce a false sentiment of security to every other competitors, and in Brazil!! BANG!! Ferrari and Williams won't even know what hit them...

Old 12 Mar 2004, 14:53 (Ref:903317)   #15
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I assume you will not post here again after that drivel.
If you are going to make somthing up, at least make it funny.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 15:00 (Ref:903326)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Now where is my standard 'pull your head in' post?

Steve_r, attack the post, not the poster.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 15:05 (Ref:903333)   #17
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think theres no hope for Mclaren in both championship this year. Since the problem will take them long long time to fix that... maybe they will start winning races in late of the season, but by that time, the gaps is too big already.

I read somewhere that the MP4-19 carries some same problems from the mother MP4-18, which is hard to solve.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 15:09 (Ref:903340)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Given the time they have had to develope this car, it is a poor effort.

But as I said, dont write them off yet, one race a champion does not make.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 15:20 (Ref:903352)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Obviously MacMerc cannot be discounted, under any cirsumstances. However, their show is rather dissapointing. Afterall, they've been working 2 years at their car, as opposed to everyone else. Unless this is a 3 year plan and next year they'll blast everyone, being 5 seconds per lap quicker.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 16:27 (Ref:903426)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why on earth would you sandbag in a race?:confused:

I need a stiff drink.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 16:28 (Ref:903430)   #21
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
It's an evil plan, we all know Ron all too well. I think they'll induce a false sentiment of security to every other competitors, and in Brazil!! BANG!! Ferrari and Williams won't even know what hit them...

Brazil? I guess you meant Bahreim, or why BANG in the very last race of the season?
Old 12 Mar 2004, 16:40 (Ref:903453)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
No, Brazil.. I don't knowwhy, why would anyone sandbag in a race anyway?
Old 12 Mar 2004, 16:45 (Ref:903460)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by facco
Brazil? I guess you meant Bahreim, or why BANG in the very last race of the season?
That is an ingenious plan!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 17:16 (Ref:903499)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:18 (Ref:903599)   #25
TALAMASCA
Rookie

TALAMASCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the mercedes engine looks to be the pits ... no reliabilty ,no mileage and no horsepower... illmore havnt got it right for quite sometime now