Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:23 (Ref:903603)   #26
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
50 hp down, Kimis completed juist 52 laps at Australia before blowing up. Not good.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 21:04 (Ref:903755)   #27
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by facco
Brazil? I guess you meant Bahreim, or why BANG in the very last race of the season?
Because Brazilis the last race of the season and thats when mclaren will get around to producing a race winning car!!!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 21:58 (Ref:903808)   #28
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
simple question why would a team sandbag during a race ?
Old 13 Mar 2004, 11:17 (Ref:904259)   #29
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abosultely, McLaren was sandbagging. Undisputed.
Old 13 Mar 2004, 12:49 (Ref:904353)   #30
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Testing..sandbagging perhaps..

But race?!!

I think the car is capable of matching the Renault/Williams on pace, but the thing is that the car is struggling with reliability and hence they opted to run it in "safe mode", less power,less stressing the car etc... hence it made their car look slow too. But as the race showed..it didn't heelp Kimi
Old 13 Mar 2004, 15:15 (Ref:904440)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the most concern is actually the handling of the car. Watching onboard at Oz it seemed to understeer on turn in and oversteer mid corner. Bloody horrible really......and it's very underpowered and very unreliable to boot. The tech team has got some serious work to do.
Old 14 Mar 2004, 12:42 (Ref:905043)   #32
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I am sorry to say this, because I have been a big McLaren fan in the past, but they are unlikely to win any World Championship in the near future. It's not the drivers (obviously), it's the car and the failure of the team to respond to problems that have been apparent since it was first tested. There is no GP at Valencia!

JPM must be kicking himself and DC may be thinking that a new team might not be such a bad thing after all.
Old 14 Mar 2004, 13:04 (Ref:905061)   #33
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I certainly think that they're in trouble this year. As Knowlesy has said, the handling appears to be a problem as well as the engine. In fact, didn't DC say that the car was lacking in engine power, mechanical grip, and aerodynamics? It rather begs the question as to what is good about the car!? However, I don't think JPM should be too depressed yet; McLaren will surely get better - they have strength in depth. And it's around about time for Newey to produce another masterpiece...
Old 14 Mar 2004, 13:29 (Ref:905082)   #34
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to disagree with the "sandbagging" concept. They are in it to win races, not hide their ability to do so. Another word beginning with 's' and ending with 'ing' comes to mind - STRUGGLING!
Old 14 Mar 2004, 18:49 (Ref:905183)   #35
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i hate that, everytime i support something, they always do bad, so i m gonna support ferrari this season
Old 14 Mar 2004, 19:47 (Ref:905217)   #36
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I guess they were "sandbagging" insofar as they were playing it gentle with th engine, running hartdly any practice laps followed by lower reves that potentially so.

However, me thinks, that does not account for, as Ron would put it, Mclaren's "performance deficit".
Old 14 Mar 2004, 20:31 (Ref:905252)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They were 1.8 seconds off in qualifying at Melbourne. Attribute a few tenths of that to Kimi's run being compromised by the dirty track from DC, and another few tenths from being fuelled for two-stops.

They are about 1 second a lap off the pace then - mostly caused by the under powered engine.

The lack of power forced them to run less wing to compensate on the straights - which made the car worse in the corners.

They'll get it sorted but it will take a while.
Old 14 Mar 2004, 22:17 (Ref:905349)   #38
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1truestory
i hate that, everytime i support something, they always do bad, so i m gonna support ferrari this season
wishing your luck the best.

Last edited by hamsmith; 14 Mar 2004 at 22:18.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 14:07 (Ref:905924)   #39
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think i hear them preparing the MP4-17 for Malysia!
Old 15 Mar 2004, 20:02 (Ref:906265)   #40
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Autosport...Coulthard admits that his Merc engine was rev-limited. Therefore, McLaren was indeed sandbagging during the race (for reliablity).
Old 15 Mar 2004, 20:07 (Ref:906272)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In that context it isn't sandbagging. Every team's engine was 'rev-limited'. The level of the limit is set depending on the engine's reliability. All of them could up their limits, by 100s of rpm, but it wouldn't last!

Mercedes engine might have a lower limit than the rest, but this is because it's engine isn't as good.

Anyway, funny thread title.

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Mar 2004 at 20:08.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 21:24 (Ref:906354)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I guess it just highlights the state mcLaren are in, that people think they forgot to get rid of the sandbags.

What would Ron make of this?!?
Old 15 Mar 2004, 23:16 (Ref:906482)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ron will be hurting more than anyone else about McLaren's problems.

But history shows he always leads the team back to success after a difficult spell.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 05:04 (Ref:906686)   #44
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sandbagging implies that they weren't going as fast as they could have. Given that a race is not just one lap, and the purpose of limiting the engines revs was to ensure it finished said race, I wouldn't call it sandbagging. After all I'm sure they were going as fast as they thought they could (while still ensuring they'd finish the race)...