Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Feb 2024, 12:46 (Ref:4196350)   #1651
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
That line-up is indictive of the stife the whole package/UK motorsport finds itself in. It's the sort of racing you'd have found on Men & Motors 20 years ago rather than the premier UK race package.
Agreed, basically clubbie championships stepping up to fill the gaps. Simple fact is, only 3 car brands support motorsport in the UK to a degree people expect. Porsche, Caterham, Ginetta.

In America Mazda have an MX5 championship, Australia have their Toyota GT86 series. VW had a Lupo/Beetle/Polo one make series in Germany through the years. Ford missed a trick not creating a Fiesta championship when the Mk7 was announced. Toyota UK do support the 750mc MR2 championship but its still clubbies racing a 20+ year old car.

Sad fact is motorsport doesn't sell cars like it used to. the motorsport ladder for aspiring racers is narrower than ever.
Old 12 Feb 2024, 12:52 (Ref:4196352)   #1652
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Incidentally, I assume there’ll be some more news on the new TOCA junior series soon, assuming that’s still in the works.
Old 12 Feb 2024, 13:00 (Ref:4196354)   #1653
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
Agreed, basically clubbie championships stepping up to fill the gaps. Simple fact is, only 3 car brands support motorsport in the UK to a degree people expect. Porsche, Caterham, Ginetta.

In America Mazda have an MX5 championship, Australia have their Toyota GT86 series. VW had a Lupo/Beetle/Polo one make series in Germany through the years. Ford missed a trick not creating a Fiesta championship when the Mk7 was announced. Toyota UK do support the 750mc MR2 championship but its still clubbies racing a 20+ year old car.

Sad fact is motorsport doesn't sell cars like it used to. the motorsport ladder for aspiring racers is narrower than ever.
Is that because Motor Manufacturers are not interested in ICE activities? Their future is electric
Old 12 Feb 2024, 13:21 (Ref:4196358)   #1654
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Incidentally, I assume there’ll be some more news on the new TOCA junior series soon, assuming that’s still in the works.
That was never anything more than TOCA saying that if someone would run like to run this hypothetical series, we'd like to include it on the BTCC support package. I wouldn't hold your breath on anything ever materialising.
Old 12 Feb 2024, 14:26 (Ref:4196368)   #1655
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
A bit like BTCC 1999, the writing was on the wall, only about 16-18 entries at most rounds that year. Still loads of quality and every works driver was a class act but the grid looked a bit thin at times
Old 12 Feb 2024, 14:49 (Ref:4196373)   #1656
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That was never anything more than TOCA saying that if someone would run like to run this hypothetical series, we'd like to include it on the BTCC support package. I wouldn't hold your breath on anything ever materialising.
What apart from TOCA saying the car would be on display at 2024 events including demos? Why is everyone so doom laden Cheer up!
Old 12 Feb 2024, 14:51 (Ref:4196374)   #1657
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
A bit like BTCC 1999, the writing was on the wall, only about 16-18 entries at most rounds that year. Still loads of quality and every works driver was a class act but the grid looked a bit thin at times

Yes I did recently rewatch the season review and while there were still plenty of great moments, it was a bit of a step down from 98 and quite frankly the grid felt too thin. It was a good job the quality was there
Old 12 Feb 2024, 15:39 (Ref:4196380)   #1658
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes I did recently rewatch the season review and while there were still plenty of great moments, it was a bit of a step down from 98 and quite frankly the grid felt too thin. It was a good job the quality was there
I think whilst most people would think 21 cars is a decent grid, it wasn’t too long ago that TOCA was boasting about having a “full” 32 car grid and the world all seemed rosy.
Old 12 Feb 2024, 17:19 (Ref:4196392)   #1659
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think whilst most people would think 21 cars is a decent grid, it wasn’t too long ago that TOCA was boasting about having a “full” 32 car grid and the world all seemed rosy.

Yes, I think with a few teams having fallen by the wayside, it’s harder to fill spaces. Which I why I’m glad Restart were able to enter
Old 12 Feb 2024, 17:41 (Ref:4196399)   #1660
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
https://www.btcc.net/2023/11/06/prop...hip-announced/
Old 12 Feb 2024, 18:34 (Ref:4196408)   #1661
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been reading the V2 regulations for this year, the ones posted a while ago, and noticed this change. Causing yellow flags in Qualifying will have the same penalty as a red flag!
I can imagine some heated debate in the stoppages between sessions in the new format, unless it's changed before the season starts.

3.3.6. Any driver deemed to have caused a stoppage, or yellow flag situation, during any Part of Official Qualifying, or otherwise interrupts the session as may be determined by the BTCC Clerk, will have their two Fastest Lap times cancelled from that Part and the driver will not be permitted to move into the next Part of the session.
Any driver deemed to have caused two stoppages, or two yellow flag situations, will have all their times cancelled and they shall not participate further in the Official Qualifying session. They will start the First Race at the back of the grid.
Old 12 Feb 2024, 18:46 (Ref:4196411)   #1662
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Just been reading the V2 regulations for this year, the ones posted a while ago, and noticed this change. Causing yellow flags in Qualifying will have the same penalty as a red flag!
I can imagine some heated debate in the stoppages between sessions in the new format, unless it's changed before the season starts.

3.3.6. Any driver deemed to have caused a stoppage, or yellow flag situation, during any Part of Official Qualifying, or otherwise interrupts the session as may be determined by the BTCC Clerk, will have their two Fastest Lap times cancelled from that Part and the driver will not be permitted to move into the next Part of the session.
Any driver deemed to have caused two stoppages, or two yellow flag situations, will have all their times cancelled and they shall not participate further in the Official Qualifying session. They will start the First Race at the back of the grid.
So if you have a brief run through the gravel on your out-lap in the first session, presumably that would require a marshal to wave a yellow flag (there are no full-course yellow flags in qualifying?) and that would be that, you can’t progress out of Q1? Seems rather harsh!
Old 12 Feb 2024, 18:49 (Ref:4196413)   #1663
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So if you have a brief run through the gravel on your out-lap in the first session, presumably that would require a marshal to wave a yellow flag (there are no full-course yellow flags in qualifying?) and that would be that, you can’t progress out of Q1? Seems rather harsh!
That was my thought. Into a gravel trap on the first out lap when pitlane opens in Q1 and clear before anybody is anywhere near starting a flying lap and you could be toast!
Old 12 Feb 2024, 19:10 (Ref:4196415)   #1664
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I call it the Nick Halstead rule
Old 12 Feb 2024, 19:22 (Ref:4196418)   #1665
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

I can see there being a lot of contention, maybe a few handbags over this rule. I just wonder why they even feel it’s necessary. No one deliberately causes a yellow flag. And what if the yellow flag is only out for a second or two?
Old 12 Feb 2024, 19:30 (Ref:4196419)   #1666
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think it will be a question of degrees, and hopefully a bit of common sense is applied.

You run through the gravel on an out lap resulting in a brief yellow flag but the only people behind you were also on an out lap, so it didn't cost anyone a fast lap - fine, no problem.

You run through the gravel and cause a brief yellow right in front of someone on a fast lap, causing them to back off - that's a penalty
Old 12 Feb 2024, 19:31 (Ref:4196420)   #1667
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I call it the Nick Halstead rule
Must admit he was first to come to mind!
Old 12 Feb 2024, 19:32 (Ref:4196421)   #1668
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I think it will be a question of degrees, and hopefully a bit of common sense is applied.

You run through the gravel on an out lap resulting in a brief yellow flag but the only people behind you were also on an out lap, so it didn't cost anyone a fast lap - fine, no problem.

You run through the gravel and cause a brief yellow right in front of someone on a fast lap, causing them to back off - that's a penalty
I hope it’s regulated as well as the track limit rules…
Old 12 Feb 2024, 19:36 (Ref:4196422)   #1669
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
As I said. All very hypothetical. It's much easier to propose a series than actually get it off the ground. We'll see if it shows up at Donington Park in April?
Old 12 Feb 2024, 20:32 (Ref:4196427)   #1670
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As I said. All very hypothetical. It's much easier to propose a series than actually get it off the ground. We'll see if it shows up at Donington Park in April?

The press release only states that the official launch will be in the Spring, so that's not necessarily at Donington in April. So it could be at Brands, Snetterton or even stretched to the meeting at Thruxton.
Old 12 Feb 2024, 20:46 (Ref:4196429)   #1671
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
Any chance he could make the 3rd seat at PMR?
I think there are a number of drivers like Bobby vying for that seat, as there aren’t many available. I could see that going down to the wire on entry deadline.
Old 12 Feb 2024, 21:43 (Ref:4196440)   #1672
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
I think there are a number of drivers like Bobby vying for that seat, as there aren’t many available. I could see that going down to the wire on entry deadline.
I've noticed on Instagram, that Bobby T was racing a GT3 BMW a few weeks ago. Could that be a clue as to the 4th WSR seat, or am I reading too much into it?
Old 12 Feb 2024, 22:06 (Ref:4196446)   #1673
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
I've noticed on Instagram, that Bobby T was racing a GT3 BMW a few weeks ago. Could that be a clue as to the 4th WSR seat, or am I reading too much into it?
He was testing - he coaches Darren Leung and so has a relationship with Century (I assume through Leung anyway). Century’s GT3 program and WSR in the BTCC have no connection, nor are BMW dictating between the two - so it won’t have anything to do with BTCC.
Old 12 Feb 2024, 22:10 (Ref:4196447)   #1674
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
With all respect if he couldn’t fund a full season at HARD I doubt he could fund 2 rounds at WSR!
Old 12 Feb 2024, 22:25 (Ref:4196449)   #1675
Inside BTCC
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Inside BTCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some interesting stuff here. Only read the Rowbottom, One Motorsport and Powell articles. I usually read the mag when it comes through my letterbox, but it's cool that they've put it up online to read for free.
Best thing since Inside BTCC was out.

https://motorracinguk.com/2024/02/10...-for-free-now/
We’re still here…