Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Nov 2006, 00:50 (Ref:1766343)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drivers Sticking To Their Own Cars In The Enduros....(merged x1)

.... is dead.. for '07 at least... according to AA today, it seems the plan to keep the main series drivers aligned to their own cars and franchise licence slot numbers has been defeated by the board of TEGA.

Very sad news

Instead of boosting the competitiveness of the field by having at least one regular front line driver in each car in the enduros, we may see the continuation of pay drivers and other usual suspects fill the seats that dont usually get the love and attention of the primary cars....

Very sad news
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:10 (Ref:1766349)   #2
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see nothing wrong with it. A team should have the freedom to place their drivers in which ever of the team cars that they choose.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:11 (Ref:1766350)   #3
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a tough call though.

It's not really fair that someones championship could be decided by a driver they are forced to use.

I think if the testing rules were changed so that the second driver pairing could get regular time in the cars maybe you could look at it in a more realistic way.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:36 (Ref:1766356)   #4
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz
It's not really fair that someones championship could be decided by a driver they are forced to use.
This is why Sandown and Bathurst should not be championship rounds.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:46 (Ref:1766357)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
.... is dead.. for '07 at least... according to AA today, it seems the plan to keep the main series drivers aligned to their own cars and franchise licence slot numbers has been defeated by the board of TEGA.

Very sad news

Instead of boosting the competitiveness of the field by having at least one regular front line driver in each car in the enduros, we may see the continuation of pay drivers and other usual suspects fill the seats that dont usually get the love and attention of the primary cars....

Very sad news
That's what i reckon. Looks like VE$A have no balls.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:46 (Ref:1766358)   #6
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is fantastic news.. I want to see the teams best 2 drivers in the same car!!
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:50 (Ref:1766359)   #7
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I think it is fantastic news.. I want to see the teams best 2 drivers in the same car!!
Time to have a separate Endurance championship i reckon.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 02:14 (Ref:1766365)   #8
goosel
Rookie

Australia
goosel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see what's wrong with it.

Sure, you may think it give an unfair advantage having the two best drivers in one car, but anything can happen at these races.

Look at Skaife and Tander, who were the 'hot favourites' at Bathurst.

The majority of cars at Bathurst this year that finished did so on the lead lap.

I can see both sides. Maybe it would be more competitive. But it's still pretty competitive the way it is.

Having only one lead driver in each car would probably produce similar results as the reverse grid. Exciting and close races for the fans, but it would probably only hurt the teams in the long run.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:13 (Ref:1766377)   #9
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz

I
Is that you Garth?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:16 (Ref:1766380)   #10
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple. Make them non-championship races!
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:31 (Ref:1766384)   #11
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
exactly especially Bathurst you would have harder racing not 'i'll take second to stay in the Championship,well said woodbine 100% agree with you.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:31 (Ref:1766385)   #12
Mickcals
Racer

Mickcals has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think they should have a separate enduro championship.

So they can have 10 rounds of normal competetion and three or four enduro events.

You can see the calender now : QLD 500, Sandown 500, Bathurst 1000 and Phillip Island 500
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:41 (Ref:1766389)   #13
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like the idea of keeping the primary driver in their own car, but it would end up going against all the stated cost cutting measures VE$A are interested in as I could see teams outbidding each other for the services of a top notch co driver.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:43 (Ref:1766390)   #14
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
great idea Mickal's i like the first 3 but not sure about the PI 500,maybe instead of the clipsal 500 being 2x250km races have that as 1 500km enduro,would be a good way to kick off the year,have the OLD 500 about a 1/4 way through the year the Sandown 500 3/4 way through the year and have Bathurst as the last round,and inbetween all that have the 10 sprint rounds.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 04:17 (Ref:1766394)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana
I quite like the idea of keeping the primary driver in their own car, but it would end up going against all the stated cost cutting measures VE$A are interested in as I could see teams outbidding each other for the services of a top notch co driver.
Or indeed run a development series program and/or Carrera Cup program to keep the codrivers warm for the enduros
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Nov 2006, 04:52 (Ref:1766398)   #16
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide 500 won't become a 1*500km race. It works to well as it is to change the format.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 05:53 (Ref:1766421)   #17
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bloody good news this! I don't want to see the big names like Skaife, Ingall, Lowndes etc. paired with no-names from the Development Series, which will essentially become a pool of endurance drivers. It will be a first in first served basis, with the teams not quick enough left with underachieving no talents who could potentially ruin a championship for someone.

On the other hand (or perhaps the same one)- If they do enforce this rule, what stops teams from tearing up their number two driver's contract and writing him a new co-driver one?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Nov 2006, 06:08 (Ref:1766428)   #18
goosel
Rookie

Australia
goosel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr fan
exactly especially Bathurst you would have harder racing not 'i'll take second to stay in the Championship,well said woodbine 100% agree with you.
Not necessarily.

Teams will take the same approach as they did during the Grand Prix. Rock up, drive around, and not care about the result because it's not worth any points. Not to mention the potential damage to the cars. They aren't going to risk writing the cars off when it isn't worth any points.

Maybe two championships could be the answer?! But then you would get drivers in one and not the other. Also, would teams still only have two cars competing, or four? It would begin to get too complicated.

Unless they did two consecutive seasons - the first half of the year is sprints, second half enduros. Could be possible...
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1766566)   #19
mongrelpunt
Rookie

mongrelpunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its good for the future of the sport. Over the years, how many rookies have been plucked from nowhere to fill a full time V8 Supercar slot? Most drivers today either a) have had time in the development series (Winterbottom, Canto, Macrow, Youlden etc etc) or b) have been selected from their raw, young talent in other classes (Courtney, W.Davison), but almost every driver has learnt the V8 series through an enduro drive at Sandown and Bathurst.

Look at this year - Larry Perkins takes the ballsy step in putting the youngest ever combination together for the enduros in Shane Price and Jack Perkins. They both perform admirably (up until race day at Bathurst) and one or the other is set for the big time next year. These two had no pressure on them to perform above their level, they were given time to adjust to the car and have a red hot crack, whilst in amongst the cream of Australian Motor Racing legends in full flight. Imagine if Shane Price had been forced to pair with Steven Richards in the main JDR Commodore?

Its the same down the field - imagine if the rules stipulated that Alan Simonsen was forced to drive with Craig Lowndes who was fighting for the championship (bad example, given Muller's attempt last year, but bear with me) Or if Tony D'Alberto was forced to drive with Rick Kelly in the same pressure situation? Or if Ryan Briscoe had to drive with Mark Skaife, given the build up and pressure on HRT to deliver the Bathurst win?

SBR have a contractual situation that forces this rule, but imagine if Luke Youlden had been given 2 Bathursts in the sister car with Glenn Seton as co-driver, instead of co-driving with Russell Ingall. He'd easily have a full time drive now i reckon.

I reckon pairing the main drivers for the enduros is a risky move (especially if the championship is involved) but it provides the perfect situation to blood young drivers in the 2 biggest races of the year in the sister car. How many of today's field would have been pressured out of V8 racing early on because they were forced to pair with the top drivers whilst championships and Bathurst wins were on the line?

Rant over.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1766630)   #20
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana
Have you forgotten the team spending cap, they would have to fit them in under that.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1766642)   #21
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney
Adelaide 500 won't become a 1*500km race. It works to well as it is to change the format.
Leave the Adelaide 500 as is, as the season opener.

Then later in the season, run the Adelaide 800 (500 miles!) as a 2-driver event in the Enduro series. Sandown time would be perfect for this.... move the Sandown 500 to some time when it is less likely to get rained on... and maybe to Qld somewhere?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1766658)   #22
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
make an Eastern Creek 500 2 driver event,the track is only 10 mins away from my house,so i could then go the Bathurst 1000 enjoy the racing and camping atmosphere for 3 days,and go to the Eastern Creek 500 and come home to my own bed every night for the 3 days.just my personal preference.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1766674)   #23
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good, let's all email TC and tell him to arrange the calender around you.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1766694)   #24
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
it would be much appreciated and maybe a couple of free tickets wouldn't go astray .
Old 15 Nov 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1766711)   #25
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
After you.