Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jan 2021, 18:51 (Ref:4029676)   #251
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Not sure why it should be shut down. F1 proved last year that they could maintain a COVID safe environment and had risk mitigation in place to avoid transmission of the virus.

It doesn’t matter whether something is highly infectious or not if you have a fire break in place to stop the spread, which F1 does.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4029681)   #252
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
2021 is certainly going to be very challenging for sports that want to move from country to country. Certainly more so than 2020. For many reasons, political as well as infectious.

Also, could F1 survive another year like 2020 finances-wise?
Old 17 Jan 2021, 20:50 (Ref:4029685)   #253
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=RWill2073;4029661]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Almost sounds like a thought a certain f1 team boss had last year...

What, you mean governments are screwing up/over citizens? Why not give them more and more control over our every movement? What can go wrong?.....

On another topic, I've got an unrealistic, hopefully fun hypothetical for everyone: say hamilton and ineos went to red bull and said we want to provide sponsorship to the red bull team, and hamilton wants a 2 year contract with option for a third year. But, he doesn't want verstappen as a teammate, he wants verstappens seat next to perez. What do you think red bull does? What do you do? Take the short term marketability, sponsorship and this era's goat? Or stay on the long term plan with verstappen?

Then, does mercedes pay bottas to go away to get verstappen? Would they risk a pairing of russell/verstappen being combustible? Do they honor bottas' one year deal and keep russell at William's one more year for verstappen? Would they lock in verstappen and have him sot out a year to honor bottas deal and bring in russell? What other options would verstappen have for a drive for this year without risking missing the boat on a mercedes drive?

All just for fun, as obviously I'm making up a scenario, but it's the offseason.[
/QUOTE]

Sigh....

Might as well shut down all sports for the flu then, as well.
Only three more days and your leader will be gone....
Old 17 Jan 2021, 21:52 (Ref:4029699)   #254
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK OK. Stop.

/mod
Old 18 Jan 2021, 11:15 (Ref:4029830)   #255
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
The best news of 2021 so far-Alex Zanardi was speaking to his family in recent days.Much more significant than rumours or paint jobs.

Just what we like to hear. It’s taken time, but it’s great to know he is continuing to be on the mend.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 18:18 (Ref:4029910)   #256
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I forget which is the main thread to get giddy about Hamilton not signing yet. Is it this one?

Mercedes PR department: https://twitter.com/mercedesamgf1/st...262710278?s=21
Old 18 Jan 2021, 20:14 (Ref:4029927)   #257
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I forget which is the main thread to get giddy about Hamilton not signing yet. Is it this one?

Mercedes PR department: https://twitter.com/mercedesamgf1/st...262710278?s=21
I guess here or the 2021 silly season thread.

But seriously, who knows what that means. Maybe Lewis has already signed and they are about to announce it, or Lewis is expected to sign soon. Both situations are a tease. Or... they included a free pen in the most recent contract packet they sent Lewis and they really want him to use that pen! So they are providing him with a nudge.

Richard

PS: If Russell was cheeky enough to get away with it, he needs to dig up a Mercedes pen and post a photo of him using it on something. He can always later claim it was used for just a letter... "Dear Toto, I will drive for 1/4 of Lewis' salary. Yours faithfully, George"
Old 18 Jan 2021, 21:35 (Ref:4029935)   #258
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
It's not like there's much atmosphere in Sochi, Bahrain or Abu Dhabi
I’ve been to the Abu Dhabi race and would have to disagree.It’s like Woodstock For Expats living in the Gulf.Stands are packed for quali and race.Whatever you think of the layout fantastic spectator viewing.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4030010)   #259
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PS: If Russell was cheeky enough to get away with it, he needs to dig up a Mercedes pen and post a photo of him using it on something. He can always later claim it was used for just a letter... "Dear Toto, I will drive for 1/4 of Lewis' salary. Yours faithfully, George"[/QUOTE]

George would do very well if he could jag a quarter of whatever Lewis is getting
Old 19 Jan 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4030015)   #260
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Quote:
PS: If Russell was cheeky enough to get away with it, he needs to dig up a Mercedes pen and post a photo of him using it on something. He can always later claim it was used for just a letter... "Dear Toto, I will drive for 1/4 of Lewis' salary. Yours faithfully, George"

George would do very well if he could jag a quarter of whatever Lewis is getting
Thought the same as I was typing that!

Richard
Old 19 Jan 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4030016)   #261
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco in May. Not a hope.....
Old 19 Jan 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4030019)   #262
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Monaco in May. Not a hope.....

The organisers say it's going to happen.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...paign=widget-1
Old 19 Jan 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4030026)   #263
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
No doubt the Monaco authorities will get on top of the vaccinations but France is a massive shambles
Old 19 Jan 2021, 14:30 (Ref:4030036)   #264
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder how much Bottas is enjoying these prolonged Hamilton contract talks? He might feel he has more of a chance now! Well he can hope things breakdown between Merc and Lewis...
Old 19 Jan 2021, 15:53 (Ref:4030041)   #265
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder how much Bottas is enjoying these prolonged Hamilton contract talks? He might feel he has more of a chance now! Well he can hope things breakdown between Merc and Lewis...
He is enjoying is short term #1 status (as the only driver signed to Mercedes F1).

Richard
Old 19 Jan 2021, 18:19 (Ref:4030081)   #266
S griffin
Veteran

Williams have announced Nissany will continue as a test driver and he will take part in the Bahrain test. Seems all the extra money Williams now have still aren’t enough to keep the pay drivers out. Let’s face it, he hasn’t exactly looked impressive in F2 has he?
Old 20 Jan 2021, 09:23 (Ref:4030211)   #267
krzysiek_aleks
Rookie

krzysiek_aleks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
22.02 - new Alfa Romeo showed in Warsaw
Old 26 Jan 2021, 11:34 (Ref:4031265)   #268
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think calling people names immediately discredits the rest of the post. far worse than not using capitals
After his antics, I admit to calling the incoming Haas driver Marzipan. That is probably unfair to associate the two. Particularly to the almond treat, which I'm a big fan of.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 11:50 (Ref:4031268)   #269
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
After his antics, I admit to calling the incoming Haas driver Marzipan. That is probably unfair to associate the two. Particularly to the almond treat, which I'm a big fan of.

You like marzipan? I didn't think anyone liked it.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 11:56 (Ref:4031271)   #270
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hang on, are we still talking about the Haas driver?
Old 26 Jan 2021, 12:08 (Ref:4031273)   #271
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Hang on, are we still talking about the Haas driver?

Both. I don't want to go too off topic.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 17:28 (Ref:4031318)   #272
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ferrari testing drivers at Fiorano

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...paign=widget-6

using their 2018 car...not sure what engine or tires they are using but didnt think this was allowed outside of official young driver tests and filming days. the inclusion of Leclerc and Sainz today and tomorrow raises some questions about what kind of program they could be running?
Old 26 Jan 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4031321)   #273
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Cars over 2 years old are fine. Not sure on tyre situation, probably not the latest.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 17:50 (Ref:4031324)   #274
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but with the carry over of the 2020 chassis, is the 2018 chassis 2 years old?
Old 26 Jan 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4031336)   #275
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but with the carry over of the 2020 chassis, is the 2018 chassis 2 years old?
I get what you are saying. But the regulations speak to not the age of the car, but rather the specification in which is was designed and built to meet. So if we are now in the 2021 season, a "current car" would be a 2020, 2021 or even a 2022 spec car.

I actually think a team can legally build a totally new from scratch car that meets the 2018 regulations. While there may be some games that can be played here, I suspect there is some level of oversight by those who monitor this type of thing to stop that from happening. For example lets say the 2018 and 2020 technical regulations are pretty much identical (they probably are not, but they might be close enough to not matter from a scrutineering perspective). But you know that even with the freeze, there was aero development between 2018 and 2020. Could they run a 2018 car with 2020 aero (or even a full 2020 car) and say "it meets 2018 specifications"? Legally, maybe. In practice, I wonder if maybe not. Maybe even a gentleman's agreement type of thing.

Richard