Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Dec 2020, 22:39 (Ref:4025932)   #1
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Lewis

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55475013

Going to have to get used to hearing "Sir Lewis" a lot from now on.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 23:30 (Ref:4025942)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Absolutely great for him and very cool another driver is receiving this accolade.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 01:20 (Ref:4025951)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Brilliant!
Congratulations Lewis.
That'll wind a few people up
Old 31 Dec 2020, 01:33 (Ref:4025954)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope he wears something stylish to the do.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 03:02 (Ref:4025964)   #5
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Cant wait to see how he will drive in his shining armour, they will need to adjust the cockpit, and how will the lance affect aerodynamics?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 03:03 (Ref:4025966)   #6
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Damn,, they have to rename Silverstone pit straight again!
Call the sign writers, we need to add a "Sir"
Old 31 Dec 2020, 03:04 (Ref:4025967)   #7
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Hamilton is the third F1 world champion to receive a knighthood, following Jack Brabham (in 1978) and Jackie Stewart (2001), while the honour also went to Stirling Moss (2000). Aside from drivers Williams F1 team founders Frank Williams and Patrick Head have also received knighthoods, in 1999 and 2015 respectively.
A photo of the four surviving F1 "sirs" together at a GP would be remarkable.

In addition, pre-war racers and land speed record breakers Henry Segrave (1929) and Malcolm Campbell (1931) were both knighted.

Last edited by bathurst77; 31 Dec 2020 at 03:22.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 03:09 (Ref:4025968)   #8
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
I heard that they werent sure Sir was a suitable award, and thought they might give him the combination of Earl and OBE instead.
But they decided Lewis Hamilton Earlobe didnt sound quite right
Old 31 Dec 2020, 08:43 (Ref:4025988)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Hamilton is the third F1 world champion to receive a knighthood....
.........and the third racer to be knighted whilst still racing (see Campbell and Segrave).
Old 31 Dec 2020, 09:14 (Ref:4025999)   #10
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Well he is well practiced at kneeling!
Old 31 Dec 2020, 09:40 (Ref:4026007)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Absolutely brilliant.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 11:29 (Ref:4026025)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very disappointed by this.

I am sick of him bringing politics into the sport.

Why can't he highlight the political issues I want?

You shouldn't be knighted if you don't live here.

Why can't he be more like Jackie Stewart?

Have you seen the tax dodging?

When will Mansell get a knighthood?

It's not a real sport anyways. Anyone can turn a wheel and press pedals. And it is all done by computers nowadays!
Old 31 Dec 2020, 11:30 (Ref:4026026)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But, err, seriously. Well done Lewis.

And happy new year everyone.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:04 (Ref:4026047)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hamilton is the third F1 world champion to receive a knighthood, following Jack Brabham (in 1978) and Jackie Stewart (2001), while the honour also went to Stirling Moss (2000). Aside from drivers Williams F1 team founders Frank Williams and Patrick Head have also received knighthoods, in 1999 and 2015 respectively.
A photo of the four surviving F1 "sirs" together at a GP would be remarkable.

In addition, pre-war racers and land speed record breakers Henry Segrave (1929) and Malcolm Campbell (1931) were both knighted.
You could also add Sir Chris Hoy to the list, he's done some car racing!

Anyway good for Lewis, not usual to get knighted while still competing, although there have been a few sportsman in recent times to have it done(the above mentioned Sir Chris, Sir Bradley Wiggins and Sir Andy Murray)
Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:25 (Ref:4026051)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Cant wait to see how he will drive in his shining armour, they will need to adjust the cockpit, and how will the lance affect aerodynamics?
He's moving to Aston Martin?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:46 (Ref:4026061)   #16
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
He's moving to Aston Martin?
only a short Stroll away
Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:50 (Ref:4026062)   #17
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Well he is well practiced at kneeling!

Best post of the year so far. (Its already 2021 for me)
Old 31 Dec 2020, 14:13 (Ref:4026069)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
only a short Stroll away
See what you did there......
Old 31 Dec 2020, 17:00 (Ref:4026097)   #19
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Can someone explain why this is any different than getting some award, or like an Emmy for an actor? Some "royal" awards a celebrity. Yay?.....
Old 31 Dec 2020, 17:17 (Ref:4026100)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Can someone explain why this is any different than getting some award, or like an Emmy for an actor? Some "royal" awards a celebrity. Yay?.....
Typically, an 'award' is given to mark a certain time-bound occasion.
So each year a certain number of Emmys are given out in defined categories for the preceding year.

Honours are used to recognise merit in terms of achievement and service over an undefined timeframe, and should place the recipient in an 'honoured' position within an 'order'. This should see them as a role model to other inhabitants of the realm.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 17:28 (Ref:4026102)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is an article that explains some of the details. https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/30641853

It’s not really like an Emmy as that is for a particular discipline. This is an honor from the country to its citizen.

Anyone can nominate someone
https://www.gov.uk/honours/types-of-honours-and-awards

I suppose it is equivalent of the various awards and decorations that are bestowed in the US. Although I don’t know of the details. Or are they more like winning Dancing with Stars?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 18:26 (Ref:4026119)   #22
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to be contentious but I'm afraid that I fail to see the worthiness compared to John Surtees achievements and I personally strongly object to political manipulation in sport. Since Lewis doesn't reside or pay taxes in the UK(to the best of my knowledge), surely this is a debatable award?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 19:34 (Ref:4026129)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
We don’t know why Surtees wasn’t knighted. I agree it would have been good. Maybe he didn’t want it? Maybe it just got lost in the post. Maybe everyone just moaned about it on the internet and no one filled in the form? That John Surtees didn’t get one doesn’t mean another shouldn’t.

It is awful that someone highlighting an injustice in the world is considered political. And in case we go there he equally doesn’t have to speak out about every other justice in the world. But talking about this is far easier than accepting and talking about there being an injustice. Talking about an injustice and one where it is difficult how we can do something directly is difficult. We should try.

You don’t have to live in the UK to receive this award. And there are a lot of previous peopled honored who have not been. Including sportsmen.

Shame that his achievements, and indeed what he says, are ignored by these, IMHO, tiresome and easy distractions.

Sorry. It’s not directed at you, more Twitter I guess!

Sir Lewis Hamilton is a seven times world champion. And one that has leant his voice to an important cause. Although I believe that this was simply for services to motorsport. Hopefully trying to promote a cause about equality doesn’t preclude you from receiving such an honor.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 20:00 (Ref:4026134)   #24
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is absolutely no doubt that Sir Lewis Hamilton"s sporting achievements are quite outstanding and I applaud his success but I'm afraid I find his actions outside the cockpit grind with me more than a little but I'm getting on a bit and probably hold quite purist views on some subjects.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 20:05 (Ref:4026136)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To clarify, yes - Hamilton's entry is for 'services to Motorsports'.