Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Jul 2022, 20:12 (Ref:4119905)   #351
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not as far off as most renderings end up being
Old 20 Jul 2022, 23:18 (Ref:4119983)   #352
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
True. Idk with the general shape of the cockpit rendering I was expecting a slightly different look to top class cars. It'll still look and sound cool in person I'm sure.

Racecars are cool.
Old 24 Jul 2022, 00:16 (Ref:4120301)   #353
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting, there is potential for a dpi/lmdh test in August

https://twitter.com/atflorio/status/...FegTWmaeQ&s=19

sent during haircut
Old 25 Jul 2022, 11:47 (Ref:4120454)   #354
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well it is Kansas so no fans or media to worry about wanting in to the track
Old 15 Aug 2022, 13:17 (Ref:4122854)   #355
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More info on the Acura testing program after an outing at Kansas. Nice little video at the end where you get some shots of the car on track.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/t...amic-to-races/
Old 15 Aug 2022, 13:39 (Ref:4122859)   #356
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Gotta run at night and dial in those headlights. And hide from the Penske drones flying over to gather intel
Old 17 Aug 2022, 20:17 (Ref:4123059)   #357
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
The Acura has officially been revealed.

https://racer.com/2022/08/17/acura-f...-imsa-gtp-car/

What caught me by surprise was the fact that they have a new engine. They have dropped from a 3.5L V6 to a 2.4L V6 that revs to 10,000 rpm. Actually don't know what the current 3.5 revs to, but this will sound different than the Porsche, BMW, and Caddy for sure!
Old 17 Aug 2022, 20:38 (Ref:4123060)   #358
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like that it has 4 wheels. Wont be long until the nanny state demand that you have to reduce them to 3 so that they dont produce so many tyres. Think im joking? Just watch
Old 17 Aug 2022, 21:35 (Ref:4123063)   #359
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

What caught me by surprise was the fact that they have a new engine. They have dropped from a 3.5L V6 to a 2.4L V6 that revs to 10,000 rpm. Actually don't know what the current 3.5 revs to, but this will sound different than the Porsche, BMW, and Caddy for sure!
Related to the new 2.4 litre V6 Indycar engine?
Old 18 Aug 2022, 06:00 (Ref:4123075)   #360
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

Is that the same as the new HPD 2.4L V6 Indycar engine? Do Indycar V6s have to be 90-degrees? It would make sense for HPD to use the same engine for both classes, if it can easily be adapted to meet the requirements of endurance racing.

[I don't know if you have to carry engine ballast in IMSA, but obviously any production-based engine for entrants using those is going to be a lot, lot heavier than a bespoke racing engine.]

I believe the old 3.5 was based on the single-cam J35, i.e., the run-of-the-mill Honda Accord engine, and was not even based on the twin-cam NSX 3.5 engine which was the more performance-orientated engine.

I wonder why Acura are not using the NSX engine but rather using this racing engine? I take it the smaller capacity will not create any disadvantage to rivals like Porsche or Cadillac using engines around twice the size (Mazda used to run 2.0L, right?)?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 18 Aug 2022 at 06:14.
Old 18 Aug 2022, 11:49 (Ref:4123089)   #361
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Is that the same as the new HPD 2.4L V6 Indycar engine? Do Indycar V6s have to be 90-degrees? It would make sense for HPD to use the same engine for both classes, if it can easily be adapted to meet the requirements of endurance racing.

[I don't know if you have to carry engine ballast in IMSA, but obviously any production-based engine for entrants using those is going to be a lot, lot heavier than a bespoke racing engine.]

I believe the old 3.5 was based on the single-cam J35, i.e., the run-of-the-mill Honda Accord engine, and was not even based on the twin-cam NSX 3.5 engine which was the more performance-orientated engine.

I wonder why Acura are not using the NSX engine but rather using this racing engine? I take it the smaller capacity will not create any disadvantage to rivals like Porsche or Cadillac using engines around twice the size (Mazda used to run 2.0L, right?)?
BOP, to bring them up, and cost savings of cheaper to build units for all of the above. And yes, Mazda used their old flamethrower MZR-R with its bespoke oil leaks/fires
Old 18 Aug 2022, 17:12 (Ref:4123111)   #362
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I don't know, and hadn't thought about that. But if they were able to get some "extra" development with the indy unit in the back of a prototype I'm sure they would try! Although, power needed for the sportscar engine is less than what they will be running in Indy trim, don't know if that impacts useful data collection if they are the same.
Old 18 Aug 2022, 18:54 (Ref:4123128)   #363
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, Indy is going bigger and aiming at 1000hp in speedway trim with the hybrid, I think. But different than the 24 hour trim of the GTP cars
Old 18 Aug 2022, 19:53 (Ref:4123131)   #364
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yeah, Indy is going bigger and aiming at 1000hp in speedway trim with the hybrid, I think. But different than the 24 hour trim of the GTP cars
800hp is the target from the engine and another 100 from hybrid for Indy:

https://www.indycar.com/news/2022/03...-engine-update

That isn't as far off as I thought it was going to be with the sportscar engine aiming for 670hp (with hybrid of 40hp)
Old 20 Aug 2022, 13:37 (Ref:4123265)   #365
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hear rummer that there will be a GTP test day the Sunday after the Petit Le Mans.
Can anyone confirm? I plan to be at the Petit through Sunday morning. May hang around a little later if they allow.
Old 21 Aug 2022, 10:47 (Ref:4123343)   #366
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the test is Monday/Tuesday after the race
Old 21 Aug 2022, 15:31 (Ref:4123351)   #367
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too bad... Was looking for a preview of the year to come.
Old 22 Aug 2022, 14:45 (Ref:4123438)   #368
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
Too bad... Was looking for a preview of the year to come.
I was thinking about it this week and I'd be surprised if the GTP cars weren't on display somewhere during the event. BMW and GM often have tents in vendor village and Porsche have hidden race cars away halfway up the hill in their private hospitality area.
Old 23 Aug 2022, 00:48 (Ref:4123465)   #369
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Hear rummer that there will be a GTP test day the Sunday after the Petit Le Mans.
Can anyone confirm? I plan to be at the Petit through Sunday morning. May hang around a little later if they allow.
You'll likely see them in Vendor Village but unless they want to do photo stuff it will be a closed circuit testing Mon and Tues. IF they bring out the cars to Vendor Village I would not be surprised to see Tuesday evening photo laps with the current and the GTP cars if the crews are in early. Porsche often does photo laps Tuesday evening, think it was Wednesday with the Coke cars a couple years back.

I almost hit the C7R the fall before they rolled out out, they came out of the office garages and cut across the exit when I was leaving. Did photo laps and then tested the week after Petit.
Old 24 Aug 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4123593)   #370
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Will be keeping my eyes out for a view of them. Will have the camera phone in hand.
Old 25 Aug 2022, 23:56 (Ref:4123689)   #371
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I believe Mike is correct about the days - it would give the teams a much needed small break after the long race on Saturday. Maybe the champions gala is Sunday at the chateau?

Besides, if there will be any running on Sunday it won't be between 10am-noon because of RA's church break.
Old 26 Aug 2022, 11:45 (Ref:4123735)   #372
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I believe Mike is correct about the days - it would give the teams a much needed small break after the long race on Saturday. Maybe the champions gala is Sunday at the chateau?

Besides, if there will be any running on Sunday it won't be between 10am-noon because of RA's church break.
The last couple years it has been back at the Chateau after a couple rounds at the Ga Aquarium.

And we are not required to leave until 5pm on Sunday so not likely they would run a test without us having to pay or sign waivers. Only know that from years of the run around for HSR/SVRA/TUSC/IMSA test day tickets or pass holders access only. We didn't get in for The Mitty test day as we had in previous years because HSR didn't allow the injury waiver so only ticketed days were open.
Old 29 Aug 2022, 14:31 (Ref:4124181)   #373
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
https://racer.com/2022/08/29/hondas-...indycar-roots/
Old 29 Aug 2022, 14:55 (Ref:4124186)   #374
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
All I can say is 2023 is going to be the start of some VERY interesting time for Sports Car Road racing. We're going to see a lot of integration between F1, CART and IMSA in the new GTP class.
Old 29 Aug 2022, 20:57 (Ref:4124223)   #375
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
That was cool, lots of details there, while still leaving enough ambiguity to keep us guessing!