Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Oct 2022, 14:47 (Ref:4128664)   #126
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
2 Turner BMWs expected: https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/t...nd-bmw-m4-gt3/

Probably both in GTD but hoping one of them will compete in Pro (Auberlen-Edwards would be a worthy pairing).
Old 4 Oct 2022, 15:09 (Ref:4128667)   #127
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
After changes to the LMP2 class in the WEC, TDS is looking to run a two car program in IMSA in 2023:

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2022/...p2-effort.html
Quote:
With the FIA WEC removing the LMP2 Pro-Am class from their 2023 plans and a number of well-established drivers having to look again at racing options, several are known to be looking carefully at the IMSA package, DSC sources confirming that two current LMP2 Bronze-ranked drivers are close to finalising programmes with TDS in North America, neither are 2022 full-season customer drivers for the team.

DSC is also aware of another European team who are closing in on a potential full-season IMSA LMP2 programme for 2023 with at least one Oreca 07 and yet another with plans for selected races.
So we could see a handful of P2 entries be added to the class, bringing the total into the double digits.
Old 4 Oct 2022, 19:53 (Ref:4128683)   #128
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
So we could see a handful of P2 entries be added to the class, bringing the total into the double digits.
Makes me wonder, does IMSA have a cap on P2 entries? In the past they have stated 10 is the max for P3, but I think we may have seen 11 entries once this past season.
Old 4 Oct 2022, 23:07 (Ref:4128693)   #129
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Makes me wonder, does IMSA have a cap on P2 entries? In the past they have stated 10 is the max for P3, but I think we may have seen 11 entries once this past season.
There were originally 11 P3 entries on the Petit entry list but that number went down to 8 eventually. Just by running its natural course, no intervention from IMSA needed.

This year's Rolex 24H had 10 P2s entries and 62? in total.

An entry cap might apply to full season entries only, I have no idea.
Right now, the Rolex especially might get oversubscribed so if P2 entry were to go well into double digits (i.e. more than 10) it'll probably eat into P3's quota assuming the other class entry numbers stay the same/similar.

I have to look up the maximum number of cars on track allowed (it's in the supps).

Edit: 61 entries in total for 2022's Rolex 24 - which was the maximum capacity according to https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...Entry-List.pdf (probably not the latest version but nevertheless). If anything, the number might get lowered as the new prototype cars are rumored to reach higher top speeds than the outgoing DPi's, flirting with the famous 200 mph barrier at the speedway.

If there's a substantial increase in P2 entries, IMSA will have to look at the number of P3 entries and they might be forced to cut them from the big show all together.

Last edited by Coach Ep; 4 Oct 2022 at 23:12.
Old 4 Oct 2022, 23:33 (Ref:4128696)   #130
Coach Ep
Veteran

Sebring's max. this year was 60.
Old 5 Oct 2022, 11:39 (Ref:4128744)   #131
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ELMS announced today their Portimao round no longer clashes with Petit. So that's good for any Euro-based P2 crews wanting to run both championships. Providing they've got enough chassis. And obviously a LOT of drivers. Must have been enough crossover and lobbying to get the date moved.

https://www.europeanlemansseries.com...6426693b4f39dd
Old 5 Oct 2022, 12:07 (Ref:4128748)   #132
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would guess many of the drivers/teams with conflicts brought up 10 hour with more track time and likely P2s expanding to IMSA so they would already be in the US. Everyone saw which course would be dropped in that case
Old 5 Oct 2022, 13:24 (Ref:4128758)   #133
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
ELMS announced today their Portimao round no longer clashes with Petit. So that's good for any Euro-based P2 crews wanting to run both championships. Providing they've got enough chassis. And obviously a LOT of drivers. Must have been enough crossover and lobbying to get the date moved.

https://www.europeanlemansseries.com...6426693b4f39dd
Sensible move. Now SRO has to move up their final event @ Zandvoort one week and we're all set at the end of the season.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 14:54 (Ref:4128907)   #134
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
We haven't discussed much about the lack of GTD Pro entries.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more...s-can-survive/
Old 6 Oct 2022, 15:13 (Ref:4128908)   #135
Coach Ep
Veteran

Because there really isn't a lack. I expect 5-8 GTD Pro entries for the season. Daytona and Sebring might see double digits.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 15:51 (Ref:4128912)   #136
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I could see us gaining an extra Vette and losing the BMW perhaps. Essentially breaking even. The class can look decent in NAEC like Coach Ep says. Full season a bit meh. I do think it's a bit too light.

I think I'd feel a bit more invested if they pulled both classes into one but Corvette don't want that. Doesn't seem like anyone else cares too much.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 19:40 (Ref:4128924)   #137
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Love how this is considered paltry but GT America is fine with even worse numbers and TERRIBLE driving standards. It takes 2 cars for a race and 5 decent cars are better than 15 crap entries
Old 6 Oct 2022, 21:19 (Ref:4128930)   #138
Coach Ep
Veteran

To me SRO is totally irrelevant in this discussion (and in almost any IMSA discussion). If you wanna discuss driving standards, that's fine (although I don't have a clue about those as I've only seen one GT America race with my own eyes in St. Pete at the beginning of the season) but there are other sections in this forum for that.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 21:37 (Ref:4128933)   #139
Coach Ep
Veteran

Derani is already shooting for the stars!

Quote:
From the AXR side, team veteran Pipo Derani, who is believed to have launched the car into the air exiting Turn 12 on Wednesday and continued,
from https://racer.com/2022/10/06/cadilla...h-gtp-testing/
Old 7 Oct 2022, 12:09 (Ref:4129001)   #140
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
We haven't discussed much about the lack of GTD Pro entries.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more...s-can-survive/
most surprising thing to me from that article is that Risi sold his Ferrari dealership?
Old 7 Oct 2022, 12:11 (Ref:4129002)   #141
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Derani is already shooting for the stars!

from https://racer.com/2022/10/06/cadilla...h-gtp-testing/
how does happen with single car running, and how did he not hit the wall???
Old 7 Oct 2022, 12:23 (Ref:4129006)   #142
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
most surprising thing to me from that article is that Risi sold his Ferrari dealership?
Beginning of the year, to a guy named Larry van Tuyl, I didn't know either (but I'm not into business news at all), https://samacharcentral.com/larry-va...ship-business/

Here's more about the history of Risi's 'empire': https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-an...ere-in-houston

Risi still owns the race team and now that he has sold the dealership, might have more time to devote to the race team. It might also mean he's actively looking at retirement and I feel that's the more likely direction.
Old 8 Oct 2022, 19:19 (Ref:4129278)   #143
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Feels like he is looking to go out with a bang and GTP for a season would be that. Just needs someone to buy and fund the car. And IMSA behave and balance well
Old 11 Oct 2022, 12:12 (Ref:4129881)   #144
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well Lamborghini expects a high take rate on the Evo2 package, 5 cars anticipated for Daytona and possibly a Pro car for the enduros.

Porsche expects to have 6 of the new GT3Rs as well. But the only place you can them that early is IMSA, IGTC has blocked them from running Bathurst and Kyalami races because they won't have official BOPs.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/l...s-for-daytona/
Old 11 Oct 2022, 13:05 (Ref:4129891)   #145
Coach Ep
Veteran

Ferrari has also thrown some ambitious numbers around:

Quote:
“It’s difficult to be sure but I hope five or six cars [at Daytona],” Coletta said. “If we have more, I would be very happy.
“Next year I hope to have 4-5 [full season] cars in IMSA. Probably one of Risi and three in [GTD]. I hope Risi will be full season but we need to ask to Risi.”
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/f...monstrate-car/

So 5 Lambos, 5/6 Porsches, 5 Ferraris - the GTD (Pro) spots are filling fast!

Good for IMSA - and us!
Old 11 Oct 2022, 13:57 (Ref:4129898)   #146
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I read the Ferrari number as 2 full season, plus maybe 1 gtd and risi for enduros. Just a hunch with no basis in reality lol
Old 12 Oct 2022, 01:45 (Ref:4129975)   #147
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I read the Ferrari number as 2 full season, plus maybe 1 gtd and risi for enduros. Just a hunch with no basis in reality lol
It was Risi contesting the enduros this year meaning 22 since the article was from August, they state Risi is looking at full season but they have looked for the last decade so...

I would guess AF Corse with a likely Am car, possibly Pro with money from Ferrari for drivers getting track time IF they think IMSA will allow their Hypercar.
Old 12 Oct 2022, 11:55 (Ref:4130017)   #148
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
This is the thing I'm not getting about the Risi Hypercar stuff. They've not been able to or had the desire to put together a full season GT programme for so long. Yet they could maybe do a full season hypercar?

Would love to be proven wrong but I just don't see it.
Old 12 Oct 2022, 12:14 (Ref:4130020)   #149
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
View it this way, they always have interest in running a car, little interest in paying for the car. When Ferrari or others kick in money and drivers, they race, when there's none they don't.

I've always been under the assumption if someone brings Risi a hypercar they may run it but he's not funding/buying it himself. And all sportscar media seems to love a Risi is coming story, Hindy completely ignored what Guiseppe said of we would love a hypercar program and it became Risi is running one in seconds during the interview
Old 13 Oct 2022, 01:42 (Ref:4130078)   #150
Enduranceracer
Rookie

United States
Florida
Enduranceracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JDC Miller Motorspot website updated wih the Porsche 963 and possible livery

https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/
https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/driversJDC.htm
https://www.jdcmotorsport.com/seriesJDC.htm