Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 8 Oct 2009, 23:37 (Ref:2557063)   #1201
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post

So that is a national / club circuit ruined,
Nah! It'll be just the ticket for Rally-Cross.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2557312)   #1202
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
Well can they not sort out what you've mentioned now and leave some other stuff for after the first race. I find it hard to believe that everything on the plan must be built for the first race. Its not like you can't modify it once its up.
Speechless!

Quote:
In fact, why can't they run drains and stuff after they've paved stuff, and then repave things.
If they open cut the paved areas you'll get uneven settlement, just look at road repairs.

You can directional drill but that is seriously expensive and then you have the problems of pulling cables etc. and indeed you can't "pull" fibre optic cable because it is quite delicate.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2557362)   #1203
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Call me cynical if you like but looking at the photographs I see very little being done which could not be put back if the money does not appear. Lots of earth shifting on the infield but very modest damage to the existing track, particularly if you ignore the "GP loop".

No demolition of the exhibition centre, no demolition of the paddock suites, no demolition of the Craner curves suites, no ripping up of the existing track, McLean's to Goddard.

We are told that there will be a press release this morning so perhaps the answer will become clear.

Jim
Old 9 Oct 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2557375)   #1204
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If (I believe) the photographs were taken the middle of this week, I would have expected a hive of activity if the Circuit PR spin is to be believed.

Perhaps their publication was just a last ditch attempt to prove to would be investors the project was well under way.
Too little - (way) too late
Old 9 Oct 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2557385)   #1205
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
We are told that there will be a press release this morning so perhaps the answer will become clear.

Jim
Just like we were told that the financing would be in place in march, April, May, August...............................
Old 9 Oct 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2557388)   #1206
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroller View Post
If (I believe) the photographs were taken the middle of this week, I would have expected a hive of activity if the Circuit PR spin is to be believed.

Perhaps their publication was just a last ditch attempt to prove to would be investors the project was well under way.
Too little - (way) too late
From what I've heard (and read about on here) I think that phrase is totally approriate stroller! Well done
Old 9 Oct 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2557458)   #1207
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Any announcement yet?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2557478)   #1208
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe they posted something on the financing in the "Where do we stand on the bank" thread, an easy mistake.

How do you spell non-refundable?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2557485)   #1209
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
Maybe they posted something on the financing in the "Where do we stand on the bank" thread, an easy mistake.

How do you spell non-refundable?
Do you think they mis-read the thread title? Mistaking on for in?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2557550)   #1210
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Er, is it 11:30 am yet?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2557561)   #1211
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Bernie, gives us some hope for you yet. Dump Donington. There is no hope for them. This time last year tickets were already on sale for the British Grand Prix, but not one so far this year. Just announce Silverstone already!
Old 9 Oct 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2557568)   #1212
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NAMA NAMA NAMA NAMA NAMA
Old 9 Oct 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2557590)   #1213
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Swedish National Academy of Mime and Acting?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2557594)   #1214
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peace man *draws on spliff*

And thus sprake...................... ?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2557603)   #1215
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009...fx6703315.html

http://www.nama.ie/

There are a number loans used to develop some of the most prominent UK sporting venues, including at least 2 very prominent soccer stadia, rumoured to be transferring to NAMA. Not sure if Donnington is on the list - can anyone confirm which banks are backing it?

If any Irish banks provided funding, then NAMA, on behalf of the Irish government will be managing the project from this point forward. The developer will answer directly to NAMA and be obliged to follow NAMA instructions regarding the development and/or disposal of the assets. NAMA will be legally obliged to obtain the maximum return for the Irish taxpayer even if this conflicts with the needs of the sporting organisation.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 18:36 (Ref:2557679)   #1216
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
OK..erm...exactly which October the ninth did Bernie say he'd given them until ?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2557774)   #1217
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Do I have to answer that? Only nobody else is here.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2557820)   #1218
BuiltForSpeed
Rookie

BuiltForSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This really doesn't look good. Game over for Gillett?

http://www.pressassociation.com/comp...rom=sport-news
Old 9 Oct 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2557866)   #1219
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Speechless!

If they open cut the paved areas you'll get uneven settlement, just look at road repairs.

You can directional drill but that is seriously expensive and then you have the problems of pulling cables etc. and indeed you can't "pull" fibre optic cable because it is quite delicate.
So what you're saying is that there is nothing you can do to the Donington facility after they hold the first race. I'm sure this is not true, since there was a new building built near me recently yet they didn't have to flatten the whole of Birmingham to do that.

If they want to 'cut open paved areas', they can repave the section. Its not hard, Montreal did it in the middle of a race weekend, and Interlagos seems to have newly paved sections every year. It's not really a problem.

As for laying the fibre optics... I'm sure if they decide they don't have time for all that, the race can go on without it all. Anyway, haven't Virgin Media just layed a load in the UK? I'm not sure, but I am sure that there will be a way.

You just seem to be making up reasons for this to fail. I'm surprised that I'm part of a minority of motorsport fans who seem to want this to succeed!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 05:04 (Ref:2557993)   #1220
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
So what you're saying is that there is nothing you can do to the Donington facility after they hold the first race. I'm sure this is not true, since there was a new building built near me recently yet they didn't have to flatten the whole of Birmingham to do that.

If they want to 'cut open paved areas', they can repave the section. Its not hard, Montreal did it in the middle of a race weekend, and Interlagos seems to have newly paved sections every year. It's not really a problem.

As for laying the fibre optics... I'm sure if they decide they don't have time for all that, the race can go on without it all. Anyway, haven't Virgin Media just layed a load in the UK? I'm not sure, but I am sure that there will be a way.

You just seem to be making up reasons for this to fail. I'm surprised that I'm part of a minority of motorsport fans who seem to want this to succeed!
Just to be clear. I'm not interested whether it succeeds or fails although its a very bad idea based upon nothing other than spite. However technically you can't run a race, even a clubbie without telecoms, data links, drainage, decent structures and of course water and power. How do you think they get to those places?
Old 10 Oct 2009, 07:44 (Ref:2558032)   #1221
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just to be clear. I'm not interested whether it succeeds or fails although its a very bad idea based upon nothing other than spite. However technically you can't run a race, even a clubbie without telecoms, data links, drainage, decent structures and of course water and power. How do you think they get to those places?
A deadline[again] Monday12th October 2009 BBC news report; 'The circuits backers are reported to be pulling the plug' exactly which 'plug' they are pulling of course is open to debate. One hopes of course it will be the plug that allows all the water out for which Donington is renound for, it could of course be the well spaced and generous number of electrical plugs available through out the paddock, as for the one which BE tried to pull on the 'Blazers' the mirth now being generated at Silverstone.... but not enough smilies to illustrate....
Old 10 Oct 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2558035)   #1222
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to local news reports, all Gillett's backers pulled out one by one yesterday, they are now left pennyless with a circuit in pieces!
B.E will meet Gillett Mon AM, to work out what to do next!
Silverstone on standby.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2558041)   #1223
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As they have been since this all started. One can only hope that the circuit gets put back together again although I cant imagine it would be left as it is!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2558045)   #1224
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post

If any Irish banks provided funding, then NAMA, on behalf of the Irish government will be managing the project from this point forward. The developer will answer directly to NAMA and be obliged to follow NAMA instructions regarding the development and/or disposal of the assets. NAMA will be legally obliged to obtain the maximum return for the Irish taxpayer even if this conflicts with the needs of the sporting organisation.
Thank you Sir Humphrey

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 10 Oct 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2558082)   #1225
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Bernie finally wakes up and smells the coffee!

A Quote from Bernie on the Autosport website this morning:

Quote:
But he admitted that he was now very pessimistic about Donington's chances.

"It's not good, is it?" Ecclestone told The Times. "Even if they get the money, I cannot see how it will all be ready in time to go.
To see the full text click this link:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79368