Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 May 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3250447)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Right Country, wrong track/timing

F1 tracks do not work with the V8's, as we saw on the weekend, and all the tracks they've been on, rumours going around they might be using the longer version next year, but with T888 winning all the races abroad, wouldn't the gaps be wider? it makes no difference if they use the full track. and not to mention the timing, why they pick this date, with a Indycar and NASCAR events going on in the same weekend is just plain dumb planning.. it's maybe one of the reasons they're wasnt as much people.

for me I thought there were much better traditional roadcourses on offer. Sonoma, Laguna Seca or Watkins glen, they should consider these tracks instead.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3250468)   #2
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
F1 tracks do not work with the V8's, as we saw on the weekend, and all the tracks they've been on, rumours going around they might be using the longer version next year, but with T888 winning all the races abroad, wouldn't the gaps be wider? it makes no difference if they use the full track. and not to mention the timing, why they pick this date, with a Indycar and NASCAR events going on in the same weekend is just plain dumb planning.. it's maybe one of the reasons they're wasnt as much people.

for me I thought there were much better traditional roadcourses on offer. Sonoma, Laguna Seca or Watkins glen, they should consider these tracks instead.
Why is T8 (T888 = 888888888 ) winning an issue for people? They're the best at what they do, and the rest of the teams need to pull their finger out.

I'm a big hater for using shortened tracks anywhere (surfers specifically, and Adelaide) when the full tracks work fine. I'm not sure if would have gotten bigger crouds, but it sure would have been a better race on the real circuit.

The 3 tracks you listed dont have pit garages. I'm not sure V8 teams could adapt to working over a wall like nascar/indy do.
Old 20 May 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3250535)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do those tracks have the money to foot the bill for the whole circus like COTA did?
Old 20 May 2013, 13:47 (Ref:3250555)   #4
Lazyking
Rookie

United States
Lazyking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Why is T8 (T888 = 888888888 ) winning an issue for people? They're the best at what they do, and the rest of the teams need to pull their finger out.
For me, dominance by one team gets boring over time especially when you have multiple races on the weekend. I'm a new fan and I love the racing but the other teams have to catch up to make it less predictable.

As for the track, I thought it was fine.. it's the best track logistics wise for v8s but maybe it's too wide, I'm not sure..
Old 20 May 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3250738)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Maybe you should go back and read the various announcements made about the choice of track, the date etc as pretty much all the decisions were explained rather than being "dumb planning". You need to remember that US is a market of roughly 300 million people, that NASCAR race virtually every weekend so even though a date clash is hard to avoid, there are plenty of people to appeal to.

As mentioned above, the "much better" road courses don't have pit garages & have a pit lane with a wall so (with the exception of Laguna where the wall is removable) probably wouldn't suit but it's unlikely that they'd have the money to pay for the V8 tour.

I completely understand the thinking behind using the shorter circuit but in this case I reckon the full circuit might be better - 20 corners seemed far too many for the length of track and probably reduced some of the opportunities to overtake but there are times you've just gotta give something a go and then make a change if needed.

888 domination - big deal - choosing a different track, date, location, weather etc won't change that, it's more a case of other teams closing the gap (not easy) and there are some (looking at you BJR) who are doing that, others who are part way there.
Old 20 May 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3250775)   #6
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
888 domination - big deal - choosing a different track, date, location, weather etc won't change that, it's more a case of other teams closing the gap (not easy) and there are some (looking at you BJR) who are doing that, others who are part way there.
In 888 supplied equipment!!!

I have been saying for years that the series is losing its appeal, I actually hoped that the COTF would re-adjust thing, but no, it is just the same old procession out the front - ho-hum, due to the obvious domination of 888 (and it supplied cars) the appeal will continue to wane, they will not be to arrest the slide with something 'new' anytime soon
Old 20 May 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3250809)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
F1 tracks do not work with the V8's, as we saw on the weekend...
Were you watching different races to me? That was a rippping good track- lots of overtaking spots, lots of different types of corners, it had most of the attributes you want in a track... less two more long straights the full track has to offer.

The short track is cheaper to run, and brings the cars more often past the spectators. What's the gain in running the long track?
Old 20 May 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3250814)   #8
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

I have been saying for years that the series is losing its appeal, I actually hoped that the COTF would re-adjust thing, but no, it is just the same old procession out the front - ho-hum, due to the obvious domination of 888 (and it supplied cars) the appeal will continue to wane, they will not be to arrest the slide with something 'new' anytime soon
Have to agree with the series losing appeal, single file racing is bland, but it is up to the teams to put the cars on the track. T8 have built their team, the others are still trying, All forms of motor spor thave had teams that dominate.
Watching T8 change tyres, no one bothered to try it, Whincup reminds me of Ambrose, goes out there it puts the car where it has to be, yet others are not.

Some of the teams are there becasue of , they have been there , yet have not really made an impact. Bit like some footy clubs, 70 years between a premiership, yet each year they still play in the big leauge.

I would like to see, on aust rounds, some of the dunlop series teams given the oopurtunity to qaulify, so if you knock a main game team out , good.

Say at QR , Winton, Tville, 28 grid spots, 36 cars go for it. That might get some of the mediocre attitude pushed out.

We cannot blame T8, they go about there business, it's the others, and so far it seem BJR are the only ones, FPR, well, i think they still have some Prodrive logic in there. Reminds me of the footy team, came second in every game they payed.

But we cannot bring in weight penalties etc, cant complain about the budgets, we can complain about the attitude and approach by some, simply if you are going to racing, lift your game.
Just a few thoughts
Old 21 May 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3250847)   #9
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

And exactly what do you propose to fix this 'issue'?
Old 21 May 2013, 01:16 (Ref:3250851)   #10
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was awesome. A little shade and some more tires and it would have been perfect. Y'all are very lucky to have this series, teams and drivers. There is much more right with it than wrong.
Old 21 May 2013, 01:38 (Ref:3250856)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I happened to the find the race on TV a little bland and do agree that this wonderful series with fantastic cars do seem a bit odd on such a circuit. Perhaps this is because I find the Australian natural terrain road courses some of the best on the planet and feel they would be better suited for one of our awesome natural terrain road courses.

Schedule clashes are inevitable in the US and understand it was announced they plan on returning to COTA next year (is that correct?), so a discussion of where else they should may be a moot point. However, I happen to think the short course at Watkins Glen is where these cars belong. Anything at Road ATL, Road America and Mosport is awesome and the V8s would be no different, but those are my 3 favorite circuits in NA.

As for the crowd, can't speak much of it but a number that I heard/read somewhere seemed very respectable for an American TC race.
Old 21 May 2013, 03:10 (Ref:3250879)   #12
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

BJR got their platform from the Kellys.
Yes they utilise the front end from T8 and the control shocks but not much else.

Last edited by sizzle; 21 May 2013 at 03:11. Reason: Dyslexic fingers.
Old 21 May 2013, 05:18 (Ref:3250911)   #13
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the racing over the weekend was fantastic. Very close, cars RIGHT at the limit if you're paying very close attention to the body language, especially over kerbs, and clean racing. In fact there were too many crashes for my liking - e.g. the Davison / McLaughlin incident was totally unnecessary. If fans want to see crashes, go watch a demolition derby. This is a professional racing series where sponsors can't afford to have their results compromised by their car being punted off the road without the perpetrator being penalised. Fly-away races also mean fewer crew, tools and spare parts, so cars need to be treated with a little more respect.
Old 21 May 2013, 09:47 (Ref:3251013)   #14
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Do those tracks have the money to foot the bill for the whole circus like COTA did?
doesn't say which one, but theres a bit of interest elsewhere.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/05/21/...st-austin-400/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
I agree, 888 is nothing without whincup, the only reason lowndes is winning races this year, is cause of team orders they got running there.
Old 22 May 2013, 05:28 (Ref:3251491)   #15
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I agree, 888 is nothing without whincup, the only reason lowndes is winning races this year, is cause of team orders they got running there.
So Triple 8 are nothing without Whincup. So other drivers wouldn't be winning in a T8 car but Whincup would be winning in other cars. Ok.

But Lowndes is only winning because of team orders? But if the T8 cars aren't that great, why aren't all the other teams beating Lowndes?

Is it because Lowndes is the better driver, or that the T8 cars are better, or both?
Old 22 May 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3251544)   #16
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I'm a big hater for using shortened tracks anywhere (surfers specifically, and Adelaide) when the full tracks work fine. I'm not sure if would have gotten bigger crouds, but it sure would have been a better race on the real circuit.
Agree that short circuits are not usually ideal, but the problem with long tracks at places like COTA is cost of TV production and small crowds missing too much action.
Quote:
The 3 tracks you listed dont have pit garages. I'm not sure V8 teams could adapt to working over a wall like nascar/indy do.
Plus these circuits wouldn't be willing to put up the cash to get V8SC there!
Old 23 May 2013, 03:09 (Ref:3251992)   #17
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plus these circuits wouldn't be willing to put up the cash to get V8SC there![/QUOTE]

That's what it comes down to, who is willing to pay for V8SC.
Old 23 May 2013, 03:24 (Ref:3251996)   #18
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst View Post
That's what it comes down to, who is willing to pay for V8SC.
Australian and New Zealand circuits
Old 23 May 2013, 03:37 (Ref:3251998)   #19
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't think theres anything wrong w/ it clashing with NASCAR however the all-star race is one of nascars highest viewed/spectated i believe, so having it on a weekend where nascar is racing an intermediate track may get more spectators.

NASCAR should let the V8s into one of their races :-P that would be a hoot.
Old 23 May 2013, 04:51 (Ref:3252011)   #20
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The overwhelming majority of Nascar fans couldn't give a rat's ass about V8 Supercars or any other form of road racing. That's a demographic they should give up on.
Old 23 May 2013, 05:06 (Ref:3252015)   #21
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The overwhelming majority of Nascar fans couldn't give a rat's ass about V8 Supercars or any other form of road racing. That's a demographic they should give up on.
which is funny since the road races are usually the best of the year.
Old 24 May 2013, 03:59 (Ref:3252503)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
i don't think theres anything wrong w/ it clashing with NASCAR however the all-star race is one of nascars highest viewed/spectated i believe, so having it on a weekend where nascar is racing an intermediate track may get more spectators.
Since the All-Star race is on SPEED, it had significantly less viewers than a standard race on FOX. Plus Charlotte wasn't quite full spectator wise, but weather may have had something to do that...
Old 24 May 2013, 06:18 (Ref:3252515)   #23
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Australian and New Zealand circuits
That's the way we like it, but V8SA have other ideas.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3252524)   #24
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give it time and I'm sure it will grow. I think at this point in time they should really be marketing it to the sportscar fans and indycar fans (or whats left of them) if they aren't already as they will probably be more open to this type of racing. I'm sure that some NASCAR fans also like v8sc but from what I've heard they don't televise every race and Speed over there is about to be eaten up by fox sports. Maybe having it on NBC sports network would be a better long term move as it seems that they have been picking up heaps of motorsport recently. Also they need to have it at a consistent time of year. Having it a week before the Indy500 and Charlotte 600 and same weekend as All star race and Indy qualifying is probably not the best week to hold it. Maybe having a week earlier from now on would work better although you would have to compete with a full nascar weekend then. Having another round at detroit with indycar, which would be a fortnight after the current race wouldn't have been a bad idea, although now Ford Aus has gone tits up it may not be so good anymore.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3252526)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst View Post
That's the way we like it, but V8SA have other ideas.
Its not the way i like it!