Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2015, 11:55 (Ref:3520876)   #26
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
It looks like full wets are pretty well redundant these days. The cars were throwing up a lot of spray and there were some small amounts of standing water, yet the inters were 1 or 1.5 seconds faster than wets. Any wetter and they wouldn't run anyway, so the wets are pointless.

I know a lot people think the red flags and safety cars are getting excessive in wet conditions, but I really think spray and (lack of) visibility preclude racing in seriously wet conditions. I've been there myself, and it's seriously scary. Even if there was a radical plan to reduce spray (super-narrow tyres, no rear wings, no diffusers), I think the spray would be too much. And obviously the powers-that-be would never go as far as that anyway.

On the other hand, I think the use of the so-called safety car to control wet conditions is a nonsense. It just stems from BE's obsession with the time schedule. For me it's far better to run a whole race an hour late than to be on time and fore-shorten the actual racing by an hour. I wonder what the brilliant minds of F1 designers would come up with if they were challenged to design and build a track-dryer.
I have to say, i'm sad to see the wet weather race disappear.

It died the day the panel started asking the drivers how the conditions were. You'll never, ever, ever get a straight, unbias answer from a driver. Ever. Funny enough, whoever was leading always felt the conditions were very dangerous (!).

Such a shame. To me, that's part of Formula One racing. I know there's safetly implications, but we have miles of run-off now. Don't get me wrong, if lots of drivers are telling their team that it's too dangerous, listen. But the moment the FIA starts asking the lead car for opinions, sorry, you've ruined it.

Selby
Old 28 Mar 2015, 12:08 (Ref:3520888)   #27
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Both Manors will start:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/03/2...ean-penalised/

Selby
Old 28 Mar 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3520928)   #28
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
good news, but what would have happened if q3 had been dry and the mercedes had been a second or two faster
Old 28 Mar 2015, 13:16 (Ref:3520949)   #29
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
It died the day the panel started asking the drivers how the conditions were.
They also take notice of comms from the observers/post chiefs/flaggies on the ground. If the flaggies particularly can't see the preceding or following post(s) due to spray then IMO it's too dangerous to continue.

That happened to me in 2012 at Silverstone. Having seen both Ferraris come past me sideways at Chapel I was about to get on the radio to RC to tell them about the visibility, when someone else reported it and the red flag came out.

It's not *all* under Bernie's control, you know.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 13:55 (Ref:3520977)   #30
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm happy to see the Manors being allowed to run. I thought Graeme Lowdon's comments on the BBC were a masterpiece of dignified diplomacy and demonstration of motivation in the face of Ecclestone's critique.

Fernando Alonso must be feeling sick to see the Ferrari's improvement.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 14:00 (Ref:3520979)   #31
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
They also take notice of comms from the observers/post chiefs/flaggies on the ground. If the flaggies particularly can't see the preceding or following post(s) due to spray then IMO it's too dangerous to continue.

That happened to me in 2012 at Silverstone. Having seen both Ferraris come past me sideways at Chapel I was about to get on the radio to RC to tell them about the visibility, when someone else reported it and the red flag came out.

It's not *all* under Bernie's control, you know.
No that's true, and i'm glad to hear they take your comments in to consideration, as they most definitely should.

But you surely see the point i'm trying to make. The moment you ask a driver who's currently leading, you lose validity in the answer.

Selby
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:16 (Ref:3521034)   #32
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
After the flak Ericsson at times has had to endure on this forum it's nice to see him in Q3.
Couldn't agree more, i rate him very highly, ok, at the end of the day he only has the seat because he brings a bag of cash with him but he is so much more than just a pay driver in my opinion, hopefully he will have a clean race and bag some more points tomorrow.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 18:33 (Ref:3521134)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I'm happy to see the Manors being allowed to run. I thought Graeme Lowdon's comments on the BBC were a masterpiece of dignified diplomacy and demonstration of motivation in the face of Ecclestone's critique.

Yes it was good to see Lowdon not sucking up to Bernie like some do, but then he shouldn't after what that snide has done
Old 28 Mar 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3521214)   #34
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
+1 re Lowden, very dignified. Also delighted to see Fred Kite ahead of Sicknote.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3521232)   #35
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
What did Lowdon say?
Old 28 Mar 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3521233)   #36
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

The Manor effort has been fantastic, really good to see them get on the grid.

The reason Ferrari has improved I reckon is probably because they have ditched Fred, and they can now be a team without somebody running around kicking all the furniture over.
I see he has been far more careful in Malaysia at McHonda.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 07:03 (Ref:3521306)   #37
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
the talking is over and the race begins lets hope it is clean
Old 29 Mar 2015, 07:06 (Ref:3521309)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was an uneventful start, with Vettel moving across the track, just making sure he keeps Rosberg in 3rd.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 07:11 (Ref:3521313)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The first SC as Ericsson goes off and gets stuck in the gravel at turn 1. Lots of drivers pitting.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 07:47 (Ref:3521318)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Nice overtake by Verstappen on Ricciardo.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 08:47 (Ref:3521329)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Vettel and Ferrari, looks like Ferrari and Finger Boy are back. Whether they can they keep this up for the rest of the season remaina to be seen.

Congrats also to Max Verstappen, the youngest driver ever to win points in a GP, with a more than respectable 7th.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 08:58 (Ref:3521334)   #42
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Torro Rosso now higher in the championship than Red Bull

well done Max and Carlos
Old 29 Mar 2015, 08:58 (Ref:3521335)   #43
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i enjoyed that race, good to see ferrari back but some good signs there for future races,
Old 29 Mar 2015, 11:14 (Ref:3521403)   #44
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A much better race than Melbourne.I have to wonder whether one more pre-season test would have been a good idea.It seems that enough was learned in Melbourne to enable most of the grid to develop faster,more reliable cars for today.The Ferraris certainly dented the aura of invincibility the Mercedes had and the Toro Rossos looked good and more than justified the choice of drivers.

I haven't seen Vettel as happy after a race since his debut win in 2008.The emotions at his previous team probably reached the other end of the spectrum.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 11:25 (Ref:3521410)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
All the cynics after race one saying another year of Mercedes dominance, then Vettel saves us from it. Also great drive from Raikkonen, albeit helped by the safety, although you've got to take the chance when it's presented to you, which both Ferraris did. We're in for a close championship and hopefully good racing too.

Quote of the day has to be Button's car to pit radio!
Old 29 Mar 2015, 11:31 (Ref:3521412)   #46
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The stewards seemed to be handing out penalties more than usual this weekend I thought the Force India guys were hard done by.

Last edited by wolfhound; 29 Mar 2015 at 11:40.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 11:34 (Ref:3521414)   #47
S griffin
Veteran

It is a tricky one. Mind you the driver steward was someone who's more used to rubbing leathers than wheels!
Old 29 Mar 2015, 12:10 (Ref:3521426)   #48
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When was the last time a Mercedes or a Red Bull was beaten in a straight fight?
Old 29 Mar 2015, 12:16 (Ref:3521427)   #49
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
looking forward to watching this one, hope the bbc highlights do it justice.

anyone listened to a race on 5 live recently?
Old 29 Mar 2015, 12:24 (Ref:3521429)   #50
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There we go. Finally some pressure for Mercedes.
Been a while since we heard the Italian
national anthem. Hopefully somewhere,
somehow, that brought a smile to Shumi.