Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 May 2020, 03:11 (Ref:3974360)   #1
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ten could put the brakes on Supercars

https://www.afr.com/companies/media-...0200429-p54od7

Network Ten is believed to be preparing to walk away from being the free-to-air broadcaster of V8 Supercars when the current contract runs out this season as Australian media companies weigh up the value of sports rights amid the COVID-19 crisis.

The current six-year record $241 million deal between Ten and Foxtel, signed in 2013, began in 2015
can not see sipercars getting 40.000.000 a tear in next tv deal
Old 4 May 2020, 03:41 (Ref:3974364)   #2
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Be nice if that article wasn’t behind a paywall
Old 4 May 2020, 03:51 (Ref:3974365)   #3
simonracer
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
simonracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
can not see sipercars getting 40.000.000 a tear in next tv deal
I agree.

Only other FTA network I see them going to is Channel 7, given that Warburton is their CEO and they already have the 12 Hour.
Old 4 May 2020, 04:14 (Ref:3974368)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
To answer my own question

Quote:
Network Ten is believed to be preparing to walk away from being the free-to-air broadcaster of V8 Supercars when the current contract runs out this season as Australian media companies weigh up the value of sports rights amid the COVID-19 crisis.

The Supercars season was halted in March after just one round. AAP

Sources told The Australian Financial Review that Supercars was a loss-making endeavour for Ten and the ViacomCBS-owned network was no longer prepared to invest in the sport.

“Supercars’ discussions with Ten are focused on racing again as soon as possible and then the shape of this year’s championship," a Supercars spokeswoman said.

Ten declined to comment.

After Supercars' opening round in February, the sport was halted as government restrictions were put in place to tackle the spread of the coronavirus. Supercars is expected to announce its plans for the 2020 season in mid-May.

It has been running an Eseries, with Supercars drivers contesting races from their homes over 10 rounds.

The current six-year record $241 million deal between Ten and Foxtel, signed in 2013, began in 2015 and finishes at the end of the 2020 season. It was brokered by the then Supercars chief executive James Warburton, who is now Seven West Media CEO and has a stake in the Archer Capital-owned racing body.

It is believed Seven was looking at potentially making a bid to become Supercars' free-to-air broadcaster again, having telecast the motorsport from 1963 to 1993, and from 2007 to 2014.

However, the coronavirus impact has forced media companies to examine their spending, in particular sports rights and the value they bring to their networks.

Australia's top tier sports, the AFL and NRL, had been discussing extensions of existing contracts with Seven, Nine and Foxtel before the escalation of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The health crisis, which has led to sports being suspended and seasons cancelled, has put a sharp focus on what value sports broadcast rights have to TV networks – sporting bodies generally accept that they will not see the type of increases they have in the past, or could even see a decline.

Ten owner ViacomCBS completed the merger of CBS and Viacom in December 2019. This has led to a shake-up of the company's global operations, and Ten's executive team now reports to Maria Kyriacou, president of VCNI’s operations in Australia and the UK.

Paul Anderson, who had been Ten chief executive since 2015, announced his departure in March, but is staying on to help the transition to new management. Ten's chief content officer Beverley McGarvey has been promoted to chief content officer and executive vice-president across ViacomCBS Australia and New Zealand, and KordaMentha partner Henriette Rothschild has been brought in as interim chief transformation officer. KordaMentha was Ten's voluntary administrator during the company's troubles in 2017.
Old 4 May 2020, 04:45 (Ref:3974371)   #5
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
In a nut shell Supercars will end up on a $treaming $ervice and you'll have to pay & whine.
Just about all sport in Noo Zillund has gone to streaming.Its shite I can't be bothered if it aint on the TV.
Old 4 May 2020, 09:51 (Ref:3974400)   #6
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
In a nut shell Supercars will end up on a $treaming $ervice and you'll have to pay & whine.
Just about all sport in Noo Zillund has gone to streaming.Its shite I can't be bothered if it aint on the TV.
Foxtel is BLEEDING money and in serious trouble. I can't see them offering the same $$ as the last deal - thanks to poor NRL, AFL and Cricket deals.

I do hope they don't screw the pooch as Rugby Australia have though and look at a woeful streaming option like Optus.

Hopefully 7 (probable) or 9 come in with a decent deal and some more FTA races.
Old 4 May 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3974401)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Speedcafe version:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/05/04...rom-supercars/
Old 7 May 2020, 02:43 (Ref:3974842)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post
Foxtel is BLEEDING money and in serious trouble. I can't see them offering the same $$ as the last deal - thanks to poor NRL, AFL and Cricket deals.

I do hope they don't screw the pooch as Rugby Australia have though and look at a woeful streaming option like Optus.

Hopefully 7 (probable) or 9 come in with a decent deal and some more FTA races.
Following the World Cup debacle, I have found Optus' streaming option of the European football to be excellent and I think can be a viable option for sports.

By the sounds of it, 7 and 9 aren't really in the market for a 'decent' deal with vasc.
Old 7 May 2020, 02:47 (Ref:3974843)   #9
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

By the sounds of it, 7 and 9 aren't really in the market for a 'decent' deal with vasc.
Has Channel Nine ever telecast a round of the ATCC/Supercars Championship?

They were of course the original telecaster of the Great Race from 1960 to 1962 and telecast numerous non-ATCC touring car races.
Old 7 May 2020, 20:20 (Ref:3975003)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
No.

* 1963-1996: Seven
* 1997-2006: Ten
* 2007-2014: Seven
Old 7 May 2020, 23:25 (Ref:3975020)   #11
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
No.

* 1963-1996: Seven
* 1997-2006: Ten
* 2007-2014: Seven
That's Bathurst, not the ATCC.

Prior to the 1983 season circuit promoters organised their own TV deals.

This resulted in touring car races shown on the ABC, Channel Seven and Channel 0 (Ten).

The ABC and Channel Seven definitely broadcast rounds of the ATCC.

Channel 0 (Ten) broadcast non-ATCC races such as the Oran Park 500. I do not know if Channel 0 (Ten) broadcast any ATCC races.

As for Channel Nine, I guess we are none the wiser.

Last edited by chavez; 7 May 2020 at 23:30.
Old 8 May 2020, 00:50 (Ref:3975027)   #12
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nine broadcast the first season of Super Touring in 1994 (albeit an edited highlights package a week in arrears), the Brock Classic at Calder in 1995 and the support races at the Grand Prix and Gold Coast Indy. AFAIK, they have never made a serious play for the ATCC / Supercars rights.
Old 8 May 2020, 01:59 (Ref:3975029)   #13
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
9 did Super Touring in 1995 too. They also did the AEC round at Eastern Creek in 1990

Did they do the Sandown ATCC round in 1980? I recall reading that somewhere
Old 16 May 2020, 23:26 (Ref:3976680)   #14
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
9 did Super Touring in 1995 too. They also did the AEC round at Eastern Creek in 1990

Did they do the Sandown ATCC round in 1980? I recall reading that somewhere
I seem to remember the Winfield Triple Challenge (Touring Cars, Drags Races and Superbikes) being on 9 in highlights as well - but not ATCC?
Old 17 May 2020, 13:16 (Ref:3976754)   #15
cavvy
Veteran

The NRL have taken a haircut from 9/Foxtel.

RA & the A -league are no longer on the Foxtel client list.

The AFL have have extended their deal with 7 & almost certainly taken a haircut, while Foxtel are still negotiating ....

Supercars are not special.

Last edited by cavvy; 17 May 2020 at 13:17. Reason: spelling.
Old 18 May 2020, 10:23 (Ref:3976904)   #16
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2020/...ahKSWPnn6GlEPE

Another nail in the 10 coffin, doubt Supercars to return to 10 ???
Old 19 May 2020, 03:11 (Ref:3977062)   #17
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2020/...ahKSWPnn6GlEPE

Another nail in the 10 coffin, doubt Supercars to return to 10 ???
Foxtel have walked from Rugby Aus after its lower offer was rejected, gave the A-League a miss, & despite the NRL & AFL organising its FTA resumption, Foxtel is yet to reach agreement.
Old 19 May 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3977080)   #18
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, no Foxtel, no Seven, no 10... So where can Supercars go for 2021?
Old 19 May 2020, 09:10 (Ref:3977102)   #19
cavvy
Veteran

a hair cut, Fox will value it just not at the dollars Supercars are used to?
Old 20 May 2020, 08:01 (Ref:3977271)   #20
benny41
Rookie

benny41 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ill throw a wild one in there , could it be something like amazon or netflix? There has been talk of some american sports heading that way
Old 20 May 2020, 09:40 (Ref:3977289)   #21
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny41 View Post
Ill throw a wild one in there , could it be something like amazon or netflix? There has been talk of some american sports heading that way
Strongly doubt they'll use supercars as their first foray into that. Bigger chance of having their own streaming platform. Maybe tied in with a couple of international series.
Old 20 May 2020, 09:41 (Ref:3977290)   #22
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny41 View Post
A deeper dive into Amazon Prime shows a great number of motorsport documentaries.

I can recommend Rapid Response which tells the story of the USAC/CART Safety Team.
Old 20 May 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3977306)   #23
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A deeper dive into Amazon Prime shows a great number of motorsport documentaries.

I can recommend Rapid Response which tells the story of the USAC/CART Safety Team.
I haven't watched the lnked story and a bit off topic but this is a fantastic watch but sadly the good Doctor lost his life responding to a race crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZB...ctr=1589974995
Old 21 May 2020, 00:47 (Ref:3977444)   #24
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Okay, no Foxtel, no Seven, no 10... So where can Supercars go for 2021?
SBS Speedweek of course! Where else but the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
a hair cut, Fox will value it just not at the dollars Supercars are used to?
If other categories need to pay to be on TV, rather than the other way around, why should ATCC be any different!?

As a paying customer of SBS, Supercars could also offer a free streaming service to best serve their sponsors.
Old 23 May 2020, 06:55 (Ref:3977829)   #25
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If other categories need to pay to be on TV, rather than the other way around, why should ATCC be any different!?

Ummm..... because Supercars business model is based around
REC holders receiving money from TV .
It is a professional category and not a gentlemans club.
Obviously without TV money the category is not sustainable in its current form and couldn't provide income for the teams and their employees and suppliers.
But of course you knew that.