Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Dec 2020, 17:18 (Ref:4024408)   #76
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Corrected
Thanks Peter (I should have asked earlier).
Old 22 Dec 2020, 01:01 (Ref:4024482)   #77
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So how many think Perez is likely to get the upper hand or Max to or it to be equal between them?
Old 22 Dec 2020, 01:20 (Ref:4024487)   #78
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 22 Dec 2020, 04:04 (Ref:4024503)   #79
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So how many think Perez is likely to get the upper hand or Max to or it to be equal between them?
About as likely as BOT doing so to HAM.
Old 22 Dec 2020, 06:33 (Ref:4024512)   #80
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

Not sure how far you can extend the comparisons and draw valid conclusions but it always struck me that Ocon was as quick (or maybe marginally quicker) than Perez when they were teammates.

While Ricciardo had the measure of Max in their first season and a half together, Max was undoubtedly the quicker of the two by their last year together and this year we saw Ricciardo given Ocon a good old fashioned beating so my guess is we won’t see Perez anywhere near Max’s pace. Would love to be wrong (because I will delight in watching Red Bull mis manage another close driver pairing) but I will be hugely surprised if he is regularly within 3 tenths in qualifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 Dec 2020, 09:30 (Ref:4024521)   #81
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would be happy for Perez to hand Max his backside..... but I dont think that will happen for one second.
Old 22 Dec 2020, 10:26 (Ref:4024524)   #82
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelise View Post
Not sure how far you can extend the comparisons and draw valid conclusions but it always struck me that Ocon was as quick (or maybe marginally quicker) than Perez when they were teammates.

While Ricciardo had the measure of Max in their first season and a half together, Max was undoubtedly the quicker of the two by their last year together and this year we saw Ricciardo given Ocon a good old fashioned beating so my guess is we won’t see Perez anywhere near Max’s pace. Would love to be wrong (because I will delight in watching Red Bull mis manage another close driver pairing) but I will be hugely surprised if he is regularly within 3 tenths in qualifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, in the second year of their partnership 2018 Ocon did Perez 10 -5 in quali.
Old 22 Dec 2020, 10:43 (Ref:4024525)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, but I'd argue Ocon would let the race come to him, whereas Perez was more likely to go for it once he got a whiff of something. No doubt Ocon reminded he still was a great talent that season, but maybe he wasn't prepared to go that extra step unlike Checo
Old 22 Dec 2020, 16:25 (Ref:4024602)   #84
S griffin
Veteran

To be fair Ocon still has a lot to prove. Although the potential is still there, he’s maybe not delivered to a high level this past season. For Perez the pressure is off, he has nothing to lose going to RBR. It can do both him and the team plenty of good if the car is right. Pressure is more on someone like Ocon, unlike Perez, who hasn’t got high expectations of him, just a reputation as a decent enough driver who could do some good in terms of money and experience
Old 23 Dec 2020, 22:48 (Ref:4024888)   #85
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I tend to agree. If Perez can master the car (which others have failed to do before him), I think he could well surprise on occasion. I certainly expect Max to have the better of him in qually on most occasions but I would expect him to be picking up at least occasional podiums. As for Ocon, I'm far from sold - so far.
Old 24 Dec 2020, 04:09 (Ref:4024925)   #86
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I tend to agree. If Perez can master the car (which others have failed to do before him), I think he could well surprise on occasion. I certainly expect Max to have the better of him in qually on most occasions but I would expect him to be picking up at least occasional podiums. As for Ocon, I'm far from sold - so far.
Think Perez is mainly there to pass on his Tracing Point experience, nearest thing to a Mercedes driver anyone can get their hands on at the moment.
Probably the truth to why Bottas' contract was renewed so early too, they did not want him sharing his knowledge with anyone else.

On that point where is Andy Cowell doing?
Old 24 Dec 2020, 04:47 (Ref:4024939)   #87
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Perez is there because he’s been driving well recently and Albon hasn’t.

Bottas signed early because, while not on Hamilton’s relentless pace, he is a quick driver and has put in some decent performances. Oh and who else? as it was before Russell had had a go. Oh, was it really early?

Whatever Andy Crowell is doing will surely be integral to some theory later on.
Old 24 Dec 2020, 10:07 (Ref:4024981)   #88
S griffin
Veteran

They signed Checo because Red Bull realised they needed someone who can back up the mighty Max and realised day in day out Alex wasn't the man to do that.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 06:21 (Ref:4028576)   #89
Kato
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Kato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really pains me to say this, but stuff it, the truth is the truth, or so perceived from here. Perez is similar to Webber can get the job done but is not the rising star. He will do better than Alex, but not better enough to ruffle Max.

Now, if someone had Daniel Ric's back, psychologically I mean, it would have been interesting to see how Dan versus Max could have played out.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4028644)   #90
S griffin
Veteran

I've often said that Danny can be Nico to Max's Lewis.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 11:21 (Ref:4028671)   #91
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
It really pains me to say this, but stuff it, the truth is the truth, or so perceived from here. Perez is similar to Webber can get the job done but is not the rising star. He will do better than Alex, but not better enough to ruffle Max.

Now, if someone had Daniel Ric's back, psychologically I mean, it would have been interesting to see how Dan versus Max could have played out.

After the crash at Baku in 2018, I think the powers that be at Red Bull had thought it had played out and that there would just be more of the same, if both drivers continued with the team.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4028684)   #92
S griffin
Veteran

Ricciardo himself said he was disappointed with the team’s conduct during and after. He said it could have been avoided if Max had just let him through as he was clearly faster and the team seemed not to realise that
Old 13 Jan 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4028748)   #93
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Perez is similar to Webber can get the job done but is not the rising star. He will do better than Alex, but not better enough to ruffle Max.
It's not easy to rise driving a Force India / Racing Point. Yet Checo Pérez scored multiple podiums, unlike teammates Nico Hülkenberg and Esteban Ocon. And last season he finished fourth with a win and a second place finish, beating RIcciardo, Sainz, Albon, Leclerc and Norris.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 16:19 (Ref:4028757)   #94
S griffin
Veteran

Perez has always been a littler underrated for me. Let’s face it in terms of tyre management there are very few better than him. He should be the perfect back up to Max
Old 13 Jan 2021, 21:31 (Ref:4028817)   #95
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I think RB would be extremely happy if Perez delivered what Webber did.

In fact I'd say that's exactly why he is in that seat.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 21:33 (Ref:4028819)   #96
S griffin
Veteran

Exactly, they need someone not only who can back up Max, but also step up to the plate when Max hits trouble. Something that Albon was only able to do occasionally
Old 17 Jan 2021, 23:40 (Ref:4029728)   #97
Kato
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Kato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why oh why wouldn't Red Bull just buy Bottas off Mercedes. Or clone him from a used hanky. OK, I admit it is rather a long term strategy but it is basically sound.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 09:54 (Ref:4029813)   #98
S griffin
Veteran

Maybe because Merc still see Bottas as a valuable asset, especially with Lewis' contract talks ongoing.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4029817)   #99
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Why oh why wouldn't Red Bull just buy Bottas off Mercedes. Or clone him from a used hanky. OK, I admit it is rather a long term strategy but it is basically sound.
Really, why buy Bottas? Does well enough as second fiddle in a Merc, but in my mind, there is nothing that stands him out as a better bet than Checo, IMO....
Old 18 Jan 2021, 22:04 (Ref:4029937)   #100
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Maybe he doesn't want to go!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk