Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 23 Mar 2004, 12:18 (Ref:916372)   #1
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV's presenters - oh dear...

Am I alone in thinking that the ITV F1 presenters are worse than useless.

Jim Rosenthal - the man has less charisma than a piece of cardboard. He simply knows nothing about the sport and can't cope when the producers are speaking into his ear. Any1 who's seen Jeff Stelling from Sky will know a guy who can cope with the pressures of being an anchor man and presenting in an interesting and informative manner. He seems genuinely interested when interviewing (whilst receiving instructions through his ear piece) unlike JR who's interview with Dave Richards was as rude as it was embarrassing - no eye contact, not even the courtesy to reply to what he was saying - just static and completely bland The guy is talentless and has no interest in the sport, how he manages to cover a whole variety of sports is astonishing, especially as there are guys like Ben Edwards in the scene who have knowledge and passion for the sport, but maybe he's be better at James Allen's job?

JA is just as prone to being as unobservant as Murray, but without that 'old enthusiast' charm. Looking at the signatures on this forum I know many feel the same, but surely we could have a more interesting, less nerdy character presenting our sport in the UK - I feel for Brundle, you get the feeling that he looks down on JA slightly. Sorry, 'JA' makes him sound quite cool, which he most certainly isn't...

Then, Louise Goodman. Sorry, useless. I cringe at each of her interviews. Her chat with JB's dad had the question of something like "Jenson did really well today, he was on the same lap as the Ferrari's" - it was delivered in a tone that wasn't meant to be funny, but was something she felt was a clear step forward for Jenson. I mean, you what!? Reminds me of when my nan was surprised I could spell the word 'and' - something so obvious and patronising it was insulting.

I can't believe there isn't some1 more suitable for the interviews, surely F1, the pinnacle of motorsport, can be delivered to us by more suitable people than this current bunch of bananas!?!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 12:31 (Ref:916392)   #2
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only one that has noticed tat they have been wearing the same shirt!?!?!?!?

@ Melbourne Blundell was wearing a sort pf yellow ish checked shirt during the qual coverage. Jardine was then wearing it for the post race coverage! Then Jimbo was wearing it for the post race stuff in Malaysia!?!?!

The three of them obviously own it between themselves to keep costs down!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 12:49 (Ref:916415)   #3
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not a huge fan of Rosenthal's and agree that he's hardly the most charismatic figure (Steve Rider was better), but I can cope with him. I can also cope with Louise, who at least has improved since she started. But JA really gets on my nerves. He often gets things wrong, and doesn't have Murray's enthusiasm, unless he's talking about how exciting the different fuel strategies are. I sometimes wonder whether he'd just prefer to see a computer simulaton of the different fuel loads with no overtaking allowed. Perhaps he should be an FIA representative! Martin deserves better.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 12:54 (Ref:916424)   #4
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'll take the ITV guys over the dross that we locals get given with the AGP, where the commentators do not even know what they are goningon about.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 13:11 (Ref:916454)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Further question: is there any place where F1 has good presenters?
Italy is not in the happy list.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 13:22 (Ref:916464)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Eurosport and then Digital+ had great commentators. Ben Edwards is top draw and on Digital+ you could chose a second set of commentators that gave a more chatty coverage. Sublime.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 13:54 (Ref:916495)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Ted Kravitz is also awful, he seems to have no clue what so ever.

Whilst waiting for the season to start, i rewatched Japan 03 on video, and ted Kravitz was going on and on about a close battle in the pits between Rubens and DC. Then Martin pointed out that it wouldn't be that close due to the fact that Rubens was 20 seconds ahead of DC
Old 23 Mar 2004, 13:56 (Ref:916499)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
on Digital+ you could chose a second set of commentators that gave a more chatty coverage. Sublime.
Used to love that, for a few reasons....

Matt Lorenzo is better than "the count" as anchor man.

Damon and Perry used to argue their way through the race.

Couldn't stand listening to John Watson.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:09 (Ref:916513)   #9
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JR does make my blood boil!

Ted is just as bad as the rest of them, what is the point in him anyway, surely the commentators can see everything he sees anyway, plus his and Louises updates throughout the race are simply woeful and opinionated tripe!

Matt Lorenzo and Jeff Stelling - surely ITV could poach one of them!?!? Just imagine the salary the Count must be on too?! Makes me weep!

Ben Edwards alongside Martin Brundle - just imagine how good that'd be, with Matt or Jeff as anchor, with Perry McCarthy and Irvine doing the interviews!?
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:12 (Ref:916518)   #10
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spider
Ben Edwards alongside Martin Brundle - just imagine how good that'd be, with Matt or Jeff as anchor, with Perry McCarthy and Irvine doing the interviews!?
I agree with this, apart from Irvine. Found him pretty irritating, though occassionally interesting, as a driver and I don't quite think he has quite the right approach to do interviews!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:23 (Ref:916524)   #11
spider
Veteran

England
London
Irvine would certainly make for a few interesting interviews, I agree tho he can be a tad irritating. Perry though would be bang on! ITV - sign them up!!!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:24 (Ref:916526)   #12
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irvine interviewing Trulli after the race: "So, you're still sh*t then Jarno?"

Irvine interviewing Fisichella after he retires on lap 43: "So, you're still sh*t then Giancarlo?"

Irvine to Heidfeld on the grid: "Do you think you'll ever do anything fecking worthwhile then Nick?"
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:26 (Ref:916528)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well that would add to the coverage wouldn't it?
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:26 (Ref:916529)   #14
spider
Veteran

England
London
See - BRILLIANT stuff, no mucking about with 'So, how was your race then...' - straight to the nitty gritty! Oh how I'd laugh at that!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:27 (Ref:916531)   #15
krt917
Veteran

Yes, exactly. And it'd be made worse by the fact that Eddie wasn't exactly a great himself! (not that a great should say those things either, of course!)
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:28 (Ref:916534)   #16
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James ALlen hit a new low with his "Jenson Buttonville" comment when Sato's engine gave up!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:29 (Ref:916536)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm....

Or his Monaco 2003 comment.....

"The sound of the engines echoes round Monaco like ghosts through a town."

Last edited by Knowlesy; 23 Mar 2004 at 14:31.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:30 (Ref:916537)   #18
spider
Veteran

England
London
Fabulous, I bet it'd add to the number of casual viewers tho. You don't want any mumbo jumbo, you want to hear the likes of Webber speaking their mind as he did on Sunday more often.

When you think Louise Goodman is their leading interviewer you've got to ask how/why!?
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:31 (Ref:916541)   #19
spider
Veteran

England
London
I didn't catch 'Legends' comment on Buttonville - I'm ready to cringe, so please remind me of what HE said...!?
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:32 (Ref:916543)   #20
spider
Veteran

England
London
Knowlesy that made me laugh, then cringe...awful, truly awful...
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:48 (Ref:916560)   #21
spider
Veteran

England
London
Imagine the chemistry between Edwards and Brundle - they're enthusiasm and knowledge would be incredible. Had the luck of working with B.Edwards at Brands, during his 1st commentary role (I was a runner, aged 10 in the OLD commentary box!) and I can say he has untold energy and he was one hell of a racer himself, so at least both are ex-racers! Just imagine, Ben, Martin, Perry and Eddie - for those tense moments...
Old 23 Mar 2004, 16:51 (Ref:916704)   #22
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer watching the ITV guys rather than the guys on Speedvision. If I watched the last two races on Speed(where I had to get up at 2am), I surely would have fallen asleep during the race. Those guys are extremely boring.

I do find Louise Goodman very annoying because I can barely understand what the hell she is saying because she speaks so fast (compounded with her Brit accent).

Being so used to watching F1 races on ITV over the years, anything less would be uncivilized.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 16:52 (Ref:916707)   #23
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jenson Buttonville wasnt as bad as monkey off his back as JA discribed Buttons 3rd place!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 17:23 (Ref:916746)   #24
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The guy who i really like on I.T.V. is Martin Brundle because in effect he is acting as two commentators and has been since 2000 when Murray began to make errors on a regular basis, Martin was always on his toes and quickly rectified the situations. I remember the Italien gran Prix in 01 when murray began to cough in the middle of a sentance and Martin was able to finsh it off as murray moved away from the mike to finish coughing,and whenever something needs to be said he will say it.
don't ditch Martin.
FANTASTIC !!!!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 17:28 (Ref:916755)   #25
krt917
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Fielden
The guy who i really like on I.T.V. is Martin Brundle because in effect he is acting as two commentators and has been since 2000 when Murray began to make errors on a regular basis.

I don't think Martin had been born when Murray started making errors on a regular basis!

Seriously though, I agree; Martin is by far the best guy on ITV's lime-up, perhaps followed by Jardine.
Closed Thread