Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Aug 2007, 02:35 (Ref:1994194)   #1
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst Council painting over Brock and Porter tributes...

Today I heard on the radio that the Bathurst Council is painting over the memorial messages left for Brocky and Mark Porter who was killed on the mountain.

Has anyone written on the walls and is ****ed off the council are painting over YOUR message. I am for sure, i wrote a message for each and im extremely ****ed off that they are getting painted over.

Does the council think that they will be too much of a distraction for Drivers?

Why cant they just stick some temporary signs over the walls? To me it seems very inconsiderate of the Bathurst Council to paint over them.

To many people Bathurst is a sacred place all year around.To have written on the walls in memory of these fallen souls is an honor, not a right.

I think that the Bathurst Council has over stepped the mark.. I hope they have taken photos of everyones tributes so they can be displayed someway or another for years to come..
Old 22 Aug 2007, 03:20 (Ref:1994206)   #2
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought they were doing that last year? It was on the local radio when I was passing through, the trouble was the messages etc were never going to last due to either weather or being scraped off by crashing cars. They were definitely going to take photos of the walls before they were painted though
Old 22 Aug 2007, 03:22 (Ref:1994207)   #3
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard the Bathurst Mayor on radio.

He says it was done last Christmas! It's only now someone has oicked it up and run with it.

He says it was done for a couple of reasons. First, safety...people were stopping on the circuit ( it is a road most of the year after all) to read them, causing traffic issues. Second, they have to sell the advertising space!

He syas the tributes took up a sections of wall for about 1 km in all, so I guess if that's true, you can't preserve the length of wall.

And yes they did take photos of all the tributes.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 03:55 (Ref:1994211)   #4
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"BROCK'S SKYLINE" and other corner signs are not advertising, there is no need to remove the tributes from those parts. Its not like its graffiti, which itself gives the Nordschleife character.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 05:17 (Ref:1994236)   #5
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also heard the Brock Foundation knocked back the initial council recommendations for the Brock statue
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 22 Aug 2007, 05:31 (Ref:1994242)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As previously stated that they took photo's of them, i heard a while back the photo's were going to be in the Bathurst Musseum, is this true?

I for one wrote a tribute to both, but if it is for public safety and then it is fair enough.

When they paint the wall they just paint straight over the top of the existing paint, so you tributes will always be ther on the wall just not visible.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 06:12 (Ref:1994253)   #7
gkmarshall
Racer

gkmarshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was up there 2 weeks ago, all the walls were clean @ skyline except for a couple of new tributes & a silver plaque glued to the wall
Old 22 Aug 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1994267)   #8
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obviously a slow news day cos I seem to remember this being mentioned around the time of the Motor Festival up there earlier this year, s'pose the general media takes a bit of time on these sort of things
Old 22 Aug 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1994307)   #9
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty05
I also heard the Brock Foundation knocked back the initial council recommendations for the Brock statue
Did you see the proposed statue? Some modern, abstract thing with nothing to recommend it at all. I heard Lewis Brock talking about it, and he was rather uncomplimentary, to put it kindly.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 11:14 (Ref:1994419)   #10
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
Did you see the proposed statue? Some modern, abstract thing with nothing to recommend it at all. I heard Lewis Brock talking about it, and he was rather uncomplimentary, to put it kindly.
A small picy here with this link http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006009,00.html

I'd rather they had a traditional bronze statue of him too.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 22 Aug 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1994433)   #11
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brock's were painted over months ago , Porter's were still there when I was last in Bathurst in June but they were always going to go.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1994476)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Strangely enough I was at the track today and stood at Brock Skyline. One message written on the track edge next to wall still exists. Some can still be seen lightly under the paint aswell.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 16:07 (Ref:1994576)   #13
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would i be stupid in thinking that the wall itself could have been replaced, and the messages saved (and put in the musium, or at worst moved back a few metres)

Sure it would be costly replacing that much wall, but i don't really think you can put a price on how people felt about him.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 22:30 (Ref:1994785)   #14
Retired Racer
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Retired Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to the V8SC website the photos of the wall will be displayed in the Peter Brock wing of the museum and will also be available for purchase
Old 22 Aug 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1994796)   #15
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This site is asking for public comments on the proposed memorials. I've added my two cents saying that I don't like either idea.

http://http://www.bathurstregion.com...orama/?id=1977

at the same time you'll find photo's of the wall on there as well.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 23:08 (Ref:1994802)   #16
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Mr_Cool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never thought the walls where Porter died had advertising on them anyway, Going past them the day after the main race there was no advertising just writing on the wall, Speaking of Safety it was a bottle neck of traffic on the Monday trying to go over skyline
Old 23 Aug 2007, 02:31 (Ref:1994851)   #17
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
on the statue thing i agree with Lewis Brock a bronze life like statue will be better and it would be much more recognisable for future generations.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 04:24 (Ref:1994875)   #18
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
Would i be stupid in thinking that the wall itself could have been replaced, and the messages saved (and put in the musium, or at worst moved back a few metres)
There is barely enough room for the marshals to walk along the wrong side of the wall without running the risk of falling all the way down to the back of the pits. They couldn't put a new wall in front of the existing wall either as the track is well below the minimum width it's supposed to have on it's track licence already without narrowing it even further.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 08:19 (Ref:1994914)   #19
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
There is barely enough room for the marshals to walk along the wrong side of the wall without running the risk of falling all the way down to the back of the pits. They couldn't put a new wall in front of the existing wall either as the track is well below the minimum width it's supposed to have on it's track licence already without narrowing it even further.
Yeah i figured that would be the case, thats why i suggested taking the whole wall and putting a new wall there.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 07:12 (Ref:1995605)   #20
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bet the wall will be adorned with new tributes every year by second Monday in October for as long as Brock admirers are sound of wind,limb and mind.

Unless they bring the APEC water cannon up to blast the unfortunates.