Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Apr 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2438048)   #26
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
Ey? Look at someone like Assailit, despite some what stepping up in machinery, he has definitely improved out of sight compared to when he started in the class.

Ok, all of the people who have stepped out of Fujitsu to the main game in recent times have brought considerable coinage with them, but the fact that they have been peddling around in V8 Supercars all year long puts them in much better stead than if they had been running around in Utes, FFord, F3, Commodore Cup, prior to the level one money transfer....
The focus of the original line seemed to be along the lines of the old complaint about 'why can't Fujitsu champions get anywhere' and I was intending to point out that the method of determining Fujitsu champions is fundamentally flawed.

I have to acknowledge what you've said is just as true too, but Fujitsu Series, like many immediate rungs below the top level in motorsport world wide, the guys who really are going to make it, make themselves obvious before they get to the Fujitsu Series.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2438556)   #27
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ash_03
And as far as a drive in the main game, if v8 supercars wants to make the fujitsu series a decent option in the main game... then the winner automatically gets a drive in a v8 supercars australia funded car as a reward for winning the championship, that way that lets the v8 teams see what you can do in the main game...
I sorta kinds agree Ash but hpow about somthing likw HRT & FPR team's fielding 3rd cars for 1st Holden & 1st Ford placed drivers in the Fujitsu Series. This is probably the wrong time to be suggesting such a vebture because it should be a seriously competitive car to show what can be done rather than a 3rd place cash cow car & driver combo....

Either way, It's not going to happen this year or next in all probability - maybe something to think about for the future , if V8 Supercars can weather the interim
storm though and keep the younger talent flowing !!!
Old 13 Apr 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2439661)   #28
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

... with thanks to prickly_goo
I take a great picture!

But seriously... is the DVS Championship all that worth winning?.. Many want to win it, but is it all what it is cracked up to be?...

You dont seem to get the opportunities one used to get with winning the series...
Old 13 Apr 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2439728)   #29
JustASupporter
Racer

JustASupporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly_Goo View Post
I take a great picture!

But seriously... is the DVS Championship all that worth winning?.. Many want to win it, but is it all what it is cracked up to be?...

You dont seem to get the opportunities one used to get with winning the series...
I see it as a problem for the reputation of the series. It's quite obvious that it's not getting the exposure it should be getting for the young drivers. If anyone really saw the series as a breeding ground for the next big thing the champion "should" be getting sponsors more easily, therefore would be able to get the financial backing to take the step up into the main series.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2439827)   #30
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On its own the Development series win means nothing, but with a previous successful racing history in competitive series such as FF, Posche, F3 ect. it is neccessary for the main series to see these drives get relevant experience in type of cars they run.
As for sponsorship , I think that is all a bit of a myth these days and rich family is pre-requisit for racing until you break into " the big Time" or not.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 02:40 (Ref:2440977)   #31
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with the Dev series, its kinda out of sight for all but the most loyal fans. its not something that id readily sit down and watch ont he weekend unless i had nothing else to do. yes it has good racing, but its missing something. maybee its the big name teams or drivers who knows.

what id like to see happen is something in the light of the old FF Driver to Europe series. have the Black wiggle set up the winner of the dev series with half a mil, or whatever it costs these days for a 1 year stint with a team in the main series and have it has a continual prize. if the guys are good enough then hopefully they can progress beyond there.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2441167)   #32
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
with the Dev series, its kinda out of sight for all but the most loyal fans. its not something that id readily sit down and watch ont he weekend unless i had nothing else to do. yes it has good racing, but its missing something. maybee its the big name teams or drivers who knows.

what id like to see happen is something in the light of the old FF Driver to Europe series. have the Black wiggle set up the winner of the dev series with half a mil, or whatever it costs these days for a 1 year stint with a team in the main series and have it has a continual prize. if the guys are good enough then hopefully they can progress beyond there.
Dream on. Who is going to put up half a mill.... The driver to Europe series prize was only ever a plane ticket to have look at racing in EUROPE. The driver still had to stump up the money to race there!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2441182)   #33
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
with the Dev series, its kinda out of sight for all but the most loyal fans. its not something that id readily sit down and watch ont he weekend unless i had nothing else to do.
The most loyal fans of the dev series are the ones that sit down to watch the actual race, and get on the edge of their seat... I am proud to say that I am a loyal fan of the series, always have been and prefer them over the Main Game..

Winning the DVS doesnt give one the opportunities it used to give... It used to give a sure fire way to get into VCS, now it's lucky to be recognised on the resume... Drivers say they want to win the DVS but how much does it really count towards other bigger things?.. VCS is probably as high as you can get in Australia, but do you really need to be a champion to get in or just have a fat wallet, a rich daddy, or a rich sponsor that is willing to pay your bills...

hmm mind boggles....
Old 15 Apr 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2441375)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
... or a rich wife
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Apr 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2441400)   #35
Winston05
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania, Australia
Winston05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Simon Wills made a good run at it, and at one stage Team Dynamik were showing signs of promise until Tony Longhurst stepped in.]
I think that any team would make inroads if it was doing extra testing miles at Woomera!

As for Longhurst, he came in when Team Iymadik would have lost a heap of sponsorship dollars as a result of violating one of the major clauses in most sponsorship contracts: DON'T CHEAT!

It's strongly rumoured that Wills got shafted beacause he had the seat for his money, and when Longhurst came along and said "I'll buy in if I can drive" he was no longer necessary. If he was such a talent why haven't we seen him make a comeback when guys like Bargs can find a full time drive and guys like Radisich seems to be in higher demand for the enduros?

Quote:
I think teams see that when they look for drivers in the development series. If someone, for example, dragged an AU Falcon and won the round at Oran Park, people might raise eyebrows. But when a fully professional team, with a fast car, and a good driver win, people, IMO, wouldn't take as much interest. It's a shame that this happens because the development series was created as a stepping stone, and there's a rule that states that the current development series champion cannot compete in the next season (isn't there?), encouraging the champion to seek a V8 Supercar drive. But unfortunately, for the likes of Adam Macrow, it seems that there's just no space for a Development Series champion some years.
Spot on Chatters. If you can get results in old equipment you show true talent, just like Lowndes did in Formula Ford. Dumbrell won the development series in a car that had just come second to Skaife in the championship series in the previous year, with full technical support from LP's team at a time when practically half of the field were under the bonnets of their own cars! Dumbrell, like a few others, is in the field because he brings lots of money to teams. Sure he can turn a reasonable lap and manage the occasional decent result, but do we realistically think he is one of the best hundred drivers in Australia, let alone one of the best thirty? As if! Guys like Walkinshaw aren't stupid. They know that if they hang around with Dumbrell's sponsors long enough they can point out the opportunities to bring new talent along, better exposure, and "support" the driver through to the next stage of their career. Heck, if they can do it to Skaife they can do it to anybody!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2441462)   #36
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
... or a rich wife
I don't have the fat wallet, the rich dad or the rich sponsor so hopefully I can land the rich wife.

I figure if I make it as far as the Fujitsu series, even driving in one round that will be quite the accomplishment considering I started with nothing.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2441623)   #37
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
"Simon Wills made a good run at it, and at one stage Team Dynamik were showing signs of promise until Tony Longhurst stepped in.]

I think that any team would make inroads if it was doing extra testing miles at Woomera!

As for Longhurst, he came in when Team Iymadik would have lost a heap of sponsorship dollars as a result of violating one of the major clauses in most sponsorship contracts: DON'T CHEAT!

It's strongly rumoured that Wills got shafted beacause he had the seat for his money, and when Longhurst came along and said "I'll buy in if I can drive" he was no longer necessary. If he was such a talent why haven't we seen him make a comeback when guys like Bargs can find a full time drive and guys like Radisich seems to be in higher demand for the enduros "

Simons Wills "rich" Dad owned and backed Team Dynamics until they got done for Cheating!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2441745)   #38
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
... or a rich wife
Where do you find one of them..... I want one.....

Ohh.... did you mean a rich wife for yourself.... or someone elses rich wife that will support you?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 23:17 (Ref:2441830)   #39
simon wills
Racer

New Zealand
Adelaide
simon wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston05 View Post

It's strongly rumoured that Wills got shafted beacause he had the seat for his money, and when Longhurst came along and said "I'll buy in if I can drive" he was no longer necessary. If he was such a talent why haven't we seen him make a comeback when guys like Bargs can find a full time drive and guys like Radisich seems to be in higher demand for the enduros?
Woomera didn't happen for any performance gain, and as there was only a pass or two made prior to being told to halt our activities, there could of been no benefit...

The team had no large Sponsors prior to Woomera actually, and then after all the publicity of it gained quite a bit of revenue from sponsors from then on. With the fine of $100k, it actually garnered much more than that. I suppose looking at it, paying someone $100k to find you a large sponsor or two and they succeed, it seems a no brainer!

Will Davison actually was immediately shafted from the Longhurst deal from my point of view, as Tony demanded Max had to drive from Clipsal even though the team had a deal with Will. The team took the fall with Will and Tony then went on to do the things behind the teams back that Dynamik eventually took him to court over and won.

On the actual topic, a Development series will always be a good thing to have on a drivers resume. If the Teams in the series are crying out for cash to survive and keep their staff employed, then the Development Series winners will always suffer. If the main series was run with teams on a level playing field at a cost they all can easily attract the dollars to perform, then the Champions will get a fair crack. This will not happen as it is with such lop sided team budgets these days...
Old 15 Apr 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2441846)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
Where do you find one of them..... I want one.....

Ohh.... did you mean a rich wife for yourself.... or someone elses rich wife that will support you?
Was thinking more for a sometime racer with no other visible means of support
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2441904)   #41
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wills View Post
Woomera didn't happen for any performance gain, and as there was only a pass or two made prior to being told to halt our activities, there could of been no benefit...
You are kidding aren't you Simon. What was Claude doing there?

The outcome may have been no benefit, but there were benefits expected from trip.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:27 (Ref:2441907)   #42
simon wills
Racer

New Zealand
Adelaide
I haven't said what was done was right. The team was penalised for one team members efforts and their choices, and so be it.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 04:17 (Ref:2441917)   #43
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wills View Post
I haven't said what was done was right. The team was penalised for one team members efforts and their choices, and so be it.
You said it didn't happen for performance gain - it may not have resulted in performance gain but you cant possibly say that wasn't the goal.

It is a shame (if what you say is correct) that one team member had so much power in the team - I personally believe things would be very different for Team Dynamik if that "big" signing never happened. I still cant believe he is in a job in V8s.

It is interesting what you say Simon, that you obviously don't think it was right yet was still involved in it - guilt by association hope you don't know any bikies

I don't have anything against you personally but the way the team you were involved in dealt with a number of good people was pretty disgraceful.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 04:36 (Ref:2441923)   #44
simon wills
Racer

New Zealand
Adelaide
I knew nothing about any of it till the day before when I was asked to have a drive of the car as they did not want an inexperienced driver to risk an engine. I tried to get out of it as I had a personal sponsor event lined up at Mallala at the same time. There were people there I did not know, and I had been told it was to benefit the team financially. The team always pushed hard to look after its staff, and if your opinion is different to that, well it is the opposite to mine. I have seen a lot worse in my time...

If you have a real issue which you do seem to have, pm me and we can go through it there. This topic does not support this subject...
Old 16 Apr 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2442031)   #45
Mak
Veteran

Simon your father was in charge of the team and had the power to over-ride any "Oscary" doddgy decision. It was extremely stupid to think that taking such a risk was worthwhile and the efforts to disguise the endevour even more incriminating. Its a pity for your sake that it has had such major affect on your carreer. However your father should have known better, it was his prior large investment in your career that He risked! This is all off topic and old news which i am sure should be put behind.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2442208)   #46
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR Magic
... or a rich wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I don't have the fat wallet, the rich dad or the rich sponsor so hopefully I can land the rich wife.

I figure if I make it as far as the Fujitsu series, even driving in one round that will be quite the accomplishment considering I started with nothing.
How Unbelievabley rude of the both of you!! I cannot believe how immature this topic has gotten. You single out a driver because he may or may not get his budgets other ways. you should both be ashamed of yourself especially you Mr GTR.. you both seem to always want to have your 5 cents of opinion towards this particular driver, even when he does well...

You both have taken your opinions too far this time, and whist I am a avid supporter of this particular driver these comments seriously take the bait. It's not fit for public discussion where people get their budgets, and it is definately not fit for public discussion on your chosen topic.

Who cares if it is one round of the DVS?.. it's one more than both of you's will ever do and probably will ever do, you two have both disgusted me beyond apologies.

And for those of you who gave Willsy a hard time, give him a break too, they admitted wrong doing and I think Simon would like to put it behind him and move on..
Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2442316)   #47
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly_Goo View Post
How Unbelievabley rude of the both of you!! I cannot believe how immature this topic has gotten. You single out a driver because he may or may not get his budgets other ways. you should both be ashamed of yourself especially you Mr GTR.. you both seem to always want to have your 5 cents of opinion towards this particular driver, even when he does well...

You both have taken your opinions too far this time, and whist I am a avid supporter of this particular driver these comments seriously take the bait. It's not fit for public discussion where people get their budgets, and it is definately not fit for public discussion on your chosen topic.

Who cares if it is one round of the DVS?.. it's one more than both of you's will ever do and probably will ever do, you two have both disgusted me beyond apologies.

And for those of you who gave Willsy a hard time, give him a break too, they admitted wrong doing and I think Simon would like to put it behind him and move on..
Well Gooey,

In regards to my comments I was refering to ME, not any other driver, so I don't know who you are talking about! So if I land a rich wife what do you care? For me considering the long journey I've had if I land on the grid for one Fujitsu race, I'll be content but not satisfied at least I made it that far.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 00:39 (Ref:2442665)   #48
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mountainstar, maybe your display pic there provides a hint as to a more realistic way of obtaining the $50K or so needed for a Fujitsu round...
Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:00 (Ref:2442669)   #49
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post
mountainstar, maybe your display pic there provides a hint as to a more realistic way of obtaining the $50K or so needed for a Fujitsu round...
Nah not for me. I'm a "Johnny Utah" and besides Johnny wins in the end.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2442871)   #50
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston05 View Post
IIf he was such a talent why haven't we seen him make a comeback when guys like Bargs can find a full time drive and guys like Radisich seems to be in higher demand for the enduros?
He did make a comeback driving the BOC Ford. It is fair to say that BJR BFs never really had the pace regardless of the driver.