Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jun 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3829954)   #26
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mclaren M8F out of the weekend already☹
Old 16 Jun 2018, 13:51 (Ref:3830019)   #27
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Each to his own as Shakespeare probably said, but a long line of silly cars driving along one behind the other is not my pot of coffee. But you younger chaps seem to enjoy it. In my somewhat less than humble opinion Formula Ford was one of the worst things to happen to motor sport ever. It has generated a stream of ………………… Oh! I won't go on it will only upset you.

...a stream of Grand Prix drivers ? A stream of pure racing - no aero , no paddles - for 50 years ? Or perhaps a stream of affordable and different chassis- just about the only single seaters which aren't all Dallaras?

I enjoy VSCC stuff too but I really , really struggle to understand why anyone would not approve of FF1600 ? Or was it that the affordability undermined the right crowd and no crowding ethos ?

It's 150 miles plus - each way - for me but I think an early start is beckoning ...
Old 16 Jun 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3830101)   #28
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
...a stream of Grand Prix drivers ? A stream of pure racing - no aero , no paddles - for 50 years ? Or perhaps a stream of affordable and different chassis- just about the only single seaters which aren't all Dallaras?

I enjoy VSCC stuff too but I really , really struggle to understand why anyone would not approve of FF1600 ? Or was it that the affordability undermined the right crowd and no crowding ethos ?

It's 150 miles plus - each way - for me but I think an early start is beckoning ...
Once they did away with 500cc Formula 3 cars everything went to hell on a handcart, ushered in the loutish behaviour of the masses, with the advent of FF, and changed the face of motor sport forever, and for the worst.

I can remember at least two separated meeting waiting at Copse with camera poised to capture the inevitable accident, only to find that it had all happened long before the field reached the first corner. On both occasions not a single car got that far.
A prime spot was the end of the old Club Straight before the 'Complex' was put in. A horde of FF's hurtling into the corner five or six abreast, and at least half of them spinning, and triggering chaos. All very entertaining, but not racing as I see it.
Senna is a prime example of the attitude to rivals that was engendered by starting in karts and Formula Fords. That nice Mr Button was another with a tendency to knock people out of the way.

Some people enthuse over a Spitfire fly past, but for me it all about painful memories of a childhood in war time.

You see it is very much an age thing, so forgive a crusty old curmudgeon his bigoted and biased view of your idea of excitement.

Roll over bars, roll cages, Hans devices, spacemen helmets, fire extinguishers, flame proof undies, safety cars, why I remember a time when Motor Racing was Dangerous.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 16:30 (Ref:3830228)   #29
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
So do I , even though the era of 500 cars was well before my time. But if this was 1958 it's possible you'd be bemoaning the loss of the riding mechanic.

I maintain that in 50 years of going to motor sport events, FF1600 has offered some of the finest , cleanest and closest racing I have ever seen , but, as they don't say much where I live - chacun a son gout .
Old 16 Jun 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3830447)   #30
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well that was a good days spectating, sum good racing in all the afternoon races, tho for once the FF1600 were spaced out at the front tho plenty going on in the midfield. The F2 race was nuts for the first few laps, the top 3 pritty much nose to tail and side by side, great .

The 2 main people to suffer were Dean Forward in the McLaren M8F, the oil pump drive belt snapped which seized the pump and meant a lap done with no oil , also Jamie Bradshaw dropped valves in his March 73A in the DBT qualifying just as he was starting to match Michael Lyons times.

One thing i did notice, was the total lack of spectators. I was sitting in woodcote stand for the Jaguar Challenge race and there was only 15 other people there.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3830450)   #31
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Once they did away with 500cc Formula 3 cars everything went to hell on a handcart, ushered in the loutish behaviour of the masses, with the advent of FF, and changed the face of motor sport forever, and for the worst.

I can remember at least two separated meeting waiting at Copse with camera poised to capture the inevitable accident, only to find that it had all happened long before the field reached the first corner. On both occasions not a single car got that far.
A prime spot was the end of the old Club Straight before the 'Complex' was put in. A horde of FF's hurtling into the corner five or six abreast, and at least half of them spinning, and triggering chaos. All very entertaining, but not racing as I see it.
Senna is a prime example of the attitude to rivals that was engendered by starting in karts and Formula Fords. That nice Mr Button was another with a tendency to knock people out of the way.

Some people enthuse over a Spitfire fly past, but for me it all about painful memories of a childhood in war time.

You see it is very much an age thing, so forgive a crusty old curmudgeon his bigoted and biased view of your idea of excitement.

Roll over bars, roll cages, Hans devices, spacemen helmets, fire extinguishers, flame proof undies, safety cars, why I remember a time when Motor Racing was Dangerous.
This attitude is probably why few people frequent this forum these days,and even fewer people bother to comment.
There's another old saying, If you can't say anything good,don't say anything.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3830517)   #32
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
This attitude is probably why few people frequent this forum these days,and even fewer people bother to comment.
There's another old saying, If you can't say anything good,don't say anything.
Well I can only say I am sorry that my views appear to have given offence, nothing I wrote was meant to be taken too much to heart, and is just my personal opinion.

Please Robyn do not let me keep you from joining in the conversations on the forum, I think you will find most tend to ignore my offerings anyway

Kind regards,

BB
Old 17 Jun 2018, 07:11 (Ref:3830979)   #33
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enjoyed yesterday with some lovely tin on track.
A great pity we lost the 8F but nice to see the 717 out again.
F2 race was the pick, the rain shower certainly spiced up the Jag race given the amount of spinners at Brooklands/Luffield.
Agree about the lack of spectators, just double figures at Luffield terrace and driving around the circuit roads no traffic at all.

Looks like the sun is breaking through after rain this morning and plenty of Guards cars in the paddock.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 08:16 (Ref:3831022)   #34
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well I can only say I am sorry that my views appear to have given offence, nothing I wrote was meant to be taken too much to heart, and is just my personal opinion.

Please Robyn do not let me keep you from joining in the conversations on the forum, I think you will find most tend to ignore my offerings anyway

Kind regards,

BB
I think the different opinions offered by the membership is what sparks the banter in the forum and without it I would not be here. As long as it does not stoop to personal attacks (I am not saying this section is guilty of that thankfully) opinions are good. We can always agree to disagree with others opinions should they differ from our own.

My opinion.... or should I say 2 'bobs' worth.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3831041)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quite. We’re all entitled to our own opinion!

As Brands says, the Jag race was interesting with the oil slick apparent at the very start of the race, then added to by the rain..... James started our E Type, being the owner, and coped well until the car cut out round the back of the circuit. He managed to pull over and get pushed through a gap off the circuit, then opened the bonnet and found the problem! By then we had vacated the pit wall and were walking back to the paddock. James drove though the infield and paddocks, and was allowed to rejoin at the pit lane exit gate. I donned helmet and waited for him to come round for our compulsory driver change. By now it was raining quite hard and most of the track was like an ice rink. There were cars off everywhere, so I tiptoed round until the chequered flag. By the end it was drying, so was able to lap a bit quicker. Unfortunately we weren’t classified as finishers due to the 75% rule, which I thought a bit harsh....

Have to say the the E, which is a 4.2 homologation, so much less tweaked than most, is a sweet car to drive in the dry or wet- only the slightly sticky brake servo stopping it from being a fabulous car. Thanks to James for letting me share it again.

The SLR GTSCC qualifying went OK. My 2nd lap out was our fastest, on well old tyres, so sure we will be quicker in the race or fresh rubber! Car still unpainted after Brands incident, but repairs done and mechanically fine.

Now stopped raining and looks like it should be dry for the rest of the day. Fingers crossed.....
Old 17 Jun 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3831463)   #36
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Looks like a reasonable finish in the Morgan, Mike, 19th? How come everyone does 2 pit stops - do you have maximum stint times?
Old 17 Jun 2018, 20:04 (Ref:3831471)   #37
bauble
Veteran

England
Might not be my cup of tea, but I hope you all enjoyed your day.

Mike I will try and get you a mention in MOG Mag.

Any one at Donington next Sunday?

Cheers,

Bawb.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 20:14 (Ref:3831473)   #38
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
....Any one at Donington next Sunday?....
Me hopefully!
Old 17 Jun 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3831482)   #39
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any meaningful rain held off, just the odd spell of light drizzle.
Breezy and chilly today on the near empty terrace.
The FF race was much better than yesterday, the F2 not so.
The meeting could have done with the 70s and historic road sports races but still a decent mini Classic without the crowds.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 05:15 (Ref:3831546)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Looks like a reasonable finish in the Morgan, Mike, 19th? How come everyone does 2 pit stops - do you have maximum stint times?

Yes, a reasonable result but beaten by the other SLR that I help run in Europe! TBH I know that car and driver combo are currently faster so not upset. We had a clean run, no engine issues and no contact, so that was a refreshing change. Oh, hang on- the owner had a spin! After a great start and making up several places he then lost all the gain a few laps in....

Great race with NO Safety cars! The 2 driver changes are due to the slightly complicated rules that GTSCC impose. Owner has to do at least 50% of race, but no stint more than 40 minutes (in 90 min race) allowed. So to comply, owner has to start and finish. Pit stops are 'quick as you can', which I don't particularly like- probably as for more than one reason we are a bit slow....

Still a good meeting, despite one or two grids missing and virtually no spectators... But The Classic will make up for that, no doubt!
Old 18 Jun 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3831658)   #41
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few from HSCC Silverstone. Not my favourite circuit, lousy backdrops and after the first couple of laps the cars are so spread out its difficult to build excitement into the pics. Probably enjoyable for the drivers though. Copyright Peter Baker. We now have a very good Grahame White interview on line courtesy of Ken Davies: www.retro-speed.co.uk/showfeature.asp
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_4610.JPG   DSC_4851.JPG   DSC_4836.JPG  

DSC_4754.JPG   DSC_4729.JPG   DSC_4573.JPG  

Old 18 Jun 2018, 22:55 (Ref:3831769)   #42
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one, here's my vid from Saturdays action if anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDkj2HCi4d0
Old 19 Jun 2018, 04:48 (Ref:3831793)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
A few from HSCC Silverstone. Not my favourite circuit, lousy backdrops and after the first couple of laps the cars are so spread out its difficult to build excitement into the pics. Probably enjoyable for the drivers though. Copyright Peter Baker. We now have a very good Grahame White interview on line courtesy of Ken Davies: www.retro-speed.co.uk/showfeature.asp
Thanks for the pic of E Type #64, Peter!

I hadn't got a lot of love for Silverstone GP, even with 'Historic' Vale in use (maybe due to having a couple of miserable races there), but started to enjoy it last weekend. The aptly name '**** 1' and '**** 2' still spoil the flow, however....
Old 20 Jun 2018, 22:16 (Ref:3832226)   #44
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Hi Peter, I don't suppose you got any photos of the no.90 MGB in the Guards Trophy race?