Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Aug 2009, 07:15 (Ref:2520633)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Abu Dhabi Jan 2010

Mr Mallett ,you have your wish ,A Historic Race meeting is being organised in Abu Dhabi at end of Jan .F1 ,GT's and Sports Cars.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 07:58 (Ref:2520654)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My contract runs out end October.

Who is organising it?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2552268)   #3
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Article in Motoring News states the organisers of the Masters Series have got the job. Any more information anyone??
Old 1 Oct 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2552280)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe but it is Abu Dhabi so anything could happen.Plan is end of Jan if it happens.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 03:28 (Ref:2552425)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And my contract has been extended. So I may well get along there. It's possibly the first "historic" event in the region.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 06:56 (Ref:2552460)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

No,They have had Historic Sports Car races in Bahrain arranged by Patrick Peter and the first was in 80's in Dubai at a circuit made by Old Hyatt.Gerry Marshall was in Lola T70.
Remember it's Abu Dhabi and seems all set but the circuit management has already changed from French to Brits and if the GP has a glitch it could change again.Very flexible management.The circuit is still to be finished and associated buildings such as Ferrari buildings will not be complete.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2552470)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Doh! You're right about the 80's event there was also a saloon car race organized by Gordon Spice.

I think BIC organization is assisting for the GP.

It would be good if we could organize a series of races - Dubai, Abu dhabi, Bahrain and even Qatar (if they'd answer their bloody phone!). An off season in the sun.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2552486)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont think you will see many "clubbies" doing this.... I dread to think what the cost would be to get your car and a spanner out there - I presume that this does not clash with David Piper's yarpie tour?
Old 2 Oct 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2552511)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It does clash with SA and McLaren tour of NZ.
Entry fee is supposed to include flight, freight and hotel for two.
About 160 cars
Mid East series would not take off,Best you could do is consecutive weekends and that would mean Dubai working with Abu Dhabi,unlikely.
I still to be convinced that the locals will understand the concept of old bangers wandering round the track as they will buy the latest of any car and throw out the old one even if the ashtray has moved.If it does catch on should be some superb trades with the Europeans trying to screw the locals and the locals having the last laugh as they learn very quickly these days and have market traded for years.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 08:37 (Ref:2552514)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

January-Could be cold ,rain and shamal.Not ideal.
Sebring the alternative?
The Abu Dhabi Package is a good one.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2552520)   #11
ANDY J
Rookie

ANDY J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do you find out about costs etc? Cheers Andy
Old 2 Oct 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2552525)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
UAE and historics . . . seems like the perfect opportunity to spunk loads and loads of money away with minimal charm or class
Old 2 Oct 2009, 09:04 (Ref:2552528)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say I am with Zef on this... Spa and some other epic circuits are worth the trek but a new track in the ME is not something I will save up for....
Old 2 Oct 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2552530)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I still to be convinced that the locals will understand the concept of old bangers wandering round the track as they will buy the latest of any car and throw out the old one even if the ashtray has moved.
Yes, these are the conversations we've had here.

Simon the cost is a major consideration.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2552539)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

With any luck Simon you can used a minuscule bit of expected bonus!
It should be exceptional value for money to visit an upmarket building site but with decent restaurants ,brassy classy hotels and it is true you can buy ANYTHING there!The colour sup on Dubai was not wrong.The PGA Tour event is accross the road and about same time.
Abu Dhabi,Dubai with dosh .
Old 2 Oct 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2552541)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've never been to an upmarket building site, sounds interesting, do they polish the dumper trucks every night ?
Old 2 Oct 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2552546)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There are lots of people polishing various things at night but not dumpers.(There the ones doing the polishing)
Many nationalities doing the polishing!
Nuf of this ,people will want to go,Merlyn has a race?
Old 2 Oct 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2552558)   #18
ANDY J
Rookie

Just checked Masters site and no info about this event
Old 2 Oct 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2552563)   #19
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It was confirmed at Spa.
50's,60's and 70's cars based on Masters normal grids,up to 74.Racers not Saloons.
They have a list of people who already want to play.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2552565)   #20
ANDY J
Rookie

Shame its not saloons
Old 2 Oct 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2552595)   #21
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would urge extreme caution with all these countries. Dubai owes all drivers, including one we look after who won the championship an absolute fortune regarding their Speedcar Series which went belly up. Not reliable people at all! So don't get too carried away!
All the best
Marcus
Old 2 Oct 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2552678)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Abu Dhabi has money,Dubai certainly not.Totally different places.
But suppose situation at Portsmouth FC shows what happens when it goes wrong.
People are getting very hot under the collar on certain other forums with working conditions etc.
Old 3 Oct 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2553085)   #23
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
January-Could be cold ,rain and shamal.Not ideal.
Sebring the alternative?
The Abu Dhabi Package is a good one.
Classic Sebring !! Maybe we should have a talk to the people at HSR John. A race for "Proper" FIA cars has got to be attractive along with clean toilets, good beer, sunshine, and only minor language problems.
Another thread??
Old 3 Oct 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2553158)   #24
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Im still hoping to go to ZA in Feb so as they say in Dragons Den."Im out"
Old 3 Oct 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2553191)   #25
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was confirmed at Spa.
50's,60's and 70's cars based on Masters normal grids,up to 74.Racers not Saloons.
They have a list of people who already want to play.
Mmmm.... till they see and realise some of the costs involved a grand per entry for starters rumours? or fact? massive hotel costs, tansport free a softner? plus some nasty ideas where women and booze is concerned