Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Nov 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2590951)   #126
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Al Thani's rule Qatar and even when they have a tiff in the family they have a quick bloodless revolution and swap the power within the same family.I was there for last one!So much for this democracy in ME the politicians bang on about.

The same family have ruled Abu Dhabi since the start of UAE and whilst Sheik Zayed ruled it was a great place to live but since his death the six/seven powerful sons rule and have tended to copy Dubai.Advantage is they have 200 years of oil to cushion any excessive spending.It's now a building site and I am sure the average local does not want a GP track and all the crap that now goes with it.It's turning into a dump like Dubai.

Back to the Historics,I have listened to so many reasons why its off.Most are from fairyland.The boys do not need bribes they are richer than ANY Historic Racer,yes any and they are in charge of the payments.No charter plane organised,Big deal they can do it in a day they own an airline with 100 plus planes from the latest Airbus and Boeing..

Its Abu Dhabi being Abu Dhabi and probably deciding why should they pay 4/5 million to have a lot of old cars chugging round there new track.They havn't got to grips with Historic Cars,it doesn't compute with there nouveau rich thought process.

We will know by the end of the week.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2591005)   #127
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Have you been mucked about.!!!!.boy am i p-----d off.
Just the feeling I had after leaving the Middle East in 1964
Old 29 Nov 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2591190)   #128
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its Abu Dhabi being Abu Dhabi and probably deciding why should they pay 4/5 million to have a lot of old cars chugging round there new track.They havn't got to grips with Historic Cars,it doesn't compute with there nouveau rich thought process.

Well John, that gives us an all new outlook; why not ask them to give us their Gallardo convertibles, 430 spiders, chrome-wheeled Mercedes', and we will show them how to race these new-boy's toys around their circuit. Saves having to fly our cars out and saves them having to leave them in the desert when they grow tired of them............
Old 29 Nov 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2591273)   #129
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
We will have the answer later in week.

Two/Three of mine were at or on way to CARS when plug pulled.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2593385)   #130
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The stories about the demise of the meeting are growing.It has nothing to do with the PGA Tour event the same week in fact some of the Petrol Head golfers were set up to visit the track.It's solely Abu Dhabi internal politics and operations like Masters ,CARS have been dragged into the mess costing them lots of bucks that they will not recover or have an extremely hard job getting anywhere.
Will the Abu Dhabi people be concerned -no
Another new Middle East track build is due to be announced in next month not an Hour from Abu Dhabi.So much for credit crunch.
One has a track so the rest have to follow.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2593391)   #131
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
you think Abu Dhabi is the wild west - welcome to my markets....

http://www.news24.com/Content/Africa...stock_exchange

worth reading and completely true story!
Old 3 Dec 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2593591)   #132
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39637

Makes for entertaining reading on the subject. Gutted its not going ahead, could have been good on TV and the winter no-motorsports blues and a fine way to prove for/against if its a good circuit for overtaking or not. Winged motors these days don't have a lot of great races but if historics failed to entertain then you'd have to point the finger at the circuit. Feel sorry for all those people who have spent time & money in preparations too. Could have been worse tho, could be involved in A1GP...!
Old 3 Dec 2009, 21:24 (Ref:2593664)   #133
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only saving grace is that what work has been done,shouldn't need doing again before next season [for some,that is]
Old 3 Dec 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2593668)   #134
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Does anyone know about libel law and that article? I'd say it sails VERY close. A bit like yacht heading to Bahrain from Dubai!
Old 3 Dec 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2593726)   #135
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Can't see that's to far from truth.What's the problem and with which bit.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2593732)   #136
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Names and pointy fingers.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 00:21 (Ref:2593737)   #137
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Why are the facts wrong?
Old 4 Dec 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2593837)   #138
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just read the article and reckon its spot on - capitulates the situation very well. Castles in sand.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2593845)   #139
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i guess it would if the facts are incorrect, question is are they? Mike Lawrence's pieces on pitpass always go that way, but he is well connected and well informed and makes for great reading on many of the dirtier sides of motorsport. Bit like a Robin Hood of the press
Old 4 Dec 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2593920)   #140
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Can't see that facts are wrong.

It incorporates the Sunday Times Glossy info from earlier in the year which was a very accurate account of the real Dubai situation and what it has become.

It is reasonable to speculate that a million has been wasted due to the Abu Dhabi situation by organisers ,entrants and various companies.It's nonsense and typical.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2594031)   #141
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry for being so ignorant, but who or what is a Chav?
Marcus
Old 4 Dec 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2594037)   #142
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

Tells you all you need to know. I don't think there are many Chavs on here! .......or perhaps a few geriatric ones!
Old 4 Dec 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2594042)   #143
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Council House And Violent.

It was used for Football Gangs from 10 years ago.

You could meet a few in Basildon and it's a reincarnation of Essex Man of Eighties.

They are the same category as the people who pinch /steal handbags from cars in South of France,you know the ones.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2594103)   #144
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

Tells you all you need to know. I don't think there are many Chavs on here! .......or perhaps a few geriatric ones!
But perhaps they will oneday,realise what overpriced rubbish Burberry is.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2594196)   #145
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Made in Littleport ,next Town on from Ely in good old days.

Your neighbours,Tel.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2594306)   #146
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes John,before it was all made in Singapor/India. We had a sponsorship deal,through a then customer,for a full CMS team kit.Non of that awful tartan type stuff,it all either fell apart or washed so badly it lost its colour.!
Old 6 Dec 2009, 01:54 (Ref:2594693)   #147
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
you think Abu Dhabi is the wild west - welcome to my markets....

http://www.news24.com/Content/Africa...stock_exchange

worth reading and completely true story!
What an amazing story.

I wonder how long it will be before there is a an attempt to regulate them?

Mind you, with returns that good I could see a few local entrepreneurs heading out there to get involved.