Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 30 Apr 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2682313)   #1
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greetings! USrallycross

Good day to you USrallycross/Mark Williams
All those years commuting to the UK for your Rallycross fix look like a thing of the past with the new Rallycross events planned for the US?Just a quick question Mark, we only read articles about planned events in the US from well known Rallycross websites and reports from Andreas,Just what is the general opinion from those shores who is promoting it and how do you think it will fair and are you likley to compete yourself and if so what in?

maybe you can get folks to check out this channel on youtube Mrrallycrossuk open there eyes to Rallycross

Old 30 Apr 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2682449)   #2
The Eye
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The Eye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SVT Play interveuw with Tanner Foust.
http://svtplay.se/v/1985448/motor/fo...703,1,f,103706
Old 1 May 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2682727)   #3
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
maybe you can get folks to check out this channel on youtube Mrrallycrossuk open there eyes to Rallycross
I post on a couple of US rally/Impreza forums and I've sent more than one person to your You Tube channel!

If it does well in the US, I wonder if they will switch the X-Games rally to something more rallycross like? I have to say I'm really hopeful that the American's will establish a decent series for it, it certainly looks hopeful when you have US and Canadian drivers travelling over to Lydden to get some practise in for their series!
Old 2 May 2010, 02:22 (Ref:2682965)   #4
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross in the US will be organized by Rally America which is a professional organization and has worked with ESPN to have rally in X-Games the last few years.

Plans are well advanced - the first layout of the track is complete - and several inspections have taken place.

Interest is coming from all corners and not just rally drivers. Because of Tanner a lot of drifting drivers are interested as well as circuit racers. The European spec cars will clean up in year one but Rally America is allowing drivers to choose full ERC spec or lower spec higher engine capacity similar to the Open class here.

It seems that in addition to Tanner, Travis Pastrana and Ken Block will compete. Travis has a massive following here and obviously Mr Block needs absolutely no introduction. If we could get some Europeans over for the last two rounds plus L'Estage and Richard down from Canada and potentially some Canadian ice racers it should very good.

Obviously the first year is going to be experimental and just running three event successfully will be an achievement. TV on ESPN (who now have the Premiership) is all in place so we know the coverage is there. Big teams and names are locked down. Circuit is in place so this is no Mickey Mouse effort.

I am coming with RA and ESPN to observe the ERC at Lydden (RA have previously gone to a Rallycross Norden event) and the Dorans have been incredibly helpful.

Announcements will come soon but even the Europeans should be excited about what the Yanks will bring to the table. We are usually late to the party but when we come we come big!

Mark
Old 2 May 2010, 08:31 (Ref:2683051)   #5
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there, A Briton in Connecticut from King Arthur’s Court!

Will they really use the tag Rallycross in the US although there is already a completely different motorsport by the name of RallyCross?
Old 2 May 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2683062)   #6
BOY BLUNDER
Veteran

England
margate
BOY BLUNDER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Mark,your be needing a cheifstartline,i can help :-)

BB....
Old 2 May 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2683165)   #7
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Guru - yes the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) has promoted "rallycross" for several years ever since it dropped rallying. Unfortunately it is a slow version of UK autocross with only one car on the course at one time and often in the parking lots of ski resorts.

Rally America is currently promoting "Euro Rally Cross" and we will see what happens. Many Americans watch the ERC on MotorsportMad.com and it is hard enough to launch a new format without changing the name. Hopefully it will stay with this title.

Happy to keep the forum posted on developments as they happen.

Mark
Old 2 May 2010, 14:40 (Ref:2683222)   #8
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep Mark, I did a short 'Apropos…' on SCCA RallyCross at ERC24 some time ago, but see it as some kind of mixture of a Rallysprint and European Autocross (as on loose surface only). However, 'Euro Rally Cross' differs a lot from RallyCross, although I prefer the capital C rather than Rallycross split in two words. But did you yourself originally not prefer to call it RallyRacing over there, like they do in Holland for many a year now?
Old 2 May 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2683396)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
How about RallyX?
Old 3 May 2010, 08:57 (Ref:2683653)   #10
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will it be shown on ESPN here in the UK ?

on either the ESPN or ESPN America channels ?
Old 4 May 2010, 08:45 (Ref:2684104)   #11
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to hear that its getting such series backing in the US.

If Block and Pastrana are involved as well as Foust then its sure to get some major attention; as rich_cooper asks, will we get TV coverage in the UK at all?
Old 4 May 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2684237)   #12
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Eddie - yes, I prefer RallyRacing and when I was working with the SCCA this was obviously the preferred name. At the moment there needs to be consistency with the European series so we can attract drivers and if it is too be bigger than the US then you have to run one name.

I don't know re the tv package reach but given it is ESPN "the worldwide leader in sports" I am sure there will be something on tv or online.

Get some flights booked now and enjoy the Big Apple and Rallycross in one long weekend! Even the significant others can't complain with shopping in NYC while you watch the action......
Old 4 May 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2684252)   #13
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark thanks for the update with the situation currently with the US Rallycross.
It would seem a number of European drivers are looking to venture out to your shores for events! Having top names from the ERC over to maybe the final round would be a bonus to the series,apart from the major headache on getting the outfits over and the huge costs involved is it something that ESPN would consider contribruting too raising the profile of the sport even greater? Are they showing highlights of the ERC season this year in the US to test the audience.Finaly are you looking to compete yourself and what car would you use

Old 4 May 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2684517)   #14
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mark just to let you know there's another Brit and ex Minicrosser in the US not too far from you. I raced the ex Nic Fredenham and then the deseamed ex Ron Watson Minis.

I'm currently south of DC in Richmond Virginia. The idea of Rallycross in the US sounds a fantastic idea. l will send you a PM.
Old 5 May 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2684754)   #15
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really interested to see has this pans out and whether it catches on over there. Being in the US I'm sure the presentation of the events will be a bit different to what we are used to, but that's no bad thing as we could maybe learn a thing or two.

During the winter months when there ain't much in the way of Rallycross action, I get my fix watching the LOORRS off road racing. Prefer it to the Trophee Andros ice racing, which I find a bit predestrian. If LOORRS is anything to go by then it should be good.

Are they adopting the ERC class structures? Are there going to be any US style classes as well, we all know how you love your V8's over there!
Old 15 May 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2690809)   #16
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taken from expn.com

X Games adds SuperRally to lineup

ESPN Action Sports

ESPN will add the discipline of SuperRally to its sports lineup this summer and has announced the first wave of invited athletes for the 16th annual action sports competition to be held in Los Angeles July 29 - Aug. 1, 2010. SuperRally will join the discipline of Rally Car Racing, already in its fifth year at X Games, on Saturday night of the four-day event at the Los Angeles Coliseum.

The new SuperRally event takes on the ever popular Euro-centric sport of Rallycross in a sprint style form of auto racing that features heats of four drivers racing wheel-to-wheel on a dirt track. The field will consist of 12 drivers who will complete a time trial session to determine the starting grid in the three, four-lap, Elimination heat races. The winner of the Elimination heats and the highest seeded driver who has not yet advanced will compete in a four-lap last chance qualifier (LCQ). The winner of the LCQ will join the winners of the Elimination heat races in the five-lap final race.

"SuperRally is a perfect fit for X Games and will bring all of the most extreme parts of motorsports into one event," said three-time X Games Rally medalist Tanner Foust. "There's door-to-door racing, sliding off road, jumps and the cars can do 0-60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds! These are some of the fastest production-based racecars on the planet, and the thought of ripping them around the iconic columns of the Los Angeles Coliseum is simply over the top -- again, perfect for X Games.
Old 15 May 2010, 12:30 (Ref:2690863)   #17
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
So rallycross will form part of X-Games this year? Interesting, I was expecting to see it replace the current X-Games rally format in the next year or two, rather then having both formats running together.

Looking forward to seeing X-Games now!
Old 15 May 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2690920)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Wow, that's cool!

The X Games Rally Car Racing discipline is is held in a super special stage rather than true road stages, right?
Old 15 May 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2691024)   #19
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes super special format for the rallying. Glad they are doing both
Old 17 May 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2692354)   #20
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The X Games Rally Car Racing discipline is is held in a super special stage rather than true road stages, right?
Yeah, it is now. It was run as eight gravel stages with an ninth road stage in and around the Home Depot centre the first year rally appeared at X-Games (2006 - X-Games 12) but, as Rich_Cooper says, its been a Special Stage format every subsequent year.
Old 20 May 2010, 15:18 (Ref:2694798)   #21
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
Eddie - yes, I prefer RallyRacing
Brillant! Bad enough with the USA calling Rallying, Rallying Racing (for which they should be thrown off the top of the Col de Turini).

Now the plan is rob from WRC. Hope the WRC have trade marked Super Rally.
Old 21 May 2010, 00:58 (Ref:2695141)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Brillant! Bad enough with the USA calling Rallying, Rallying Racing (for which they should be thrown off the top of the Col de Turini).

Now the plan is rob from WRC. Hope the WRC have trade marked Super Rally.
Some call it rally racing, which is fine by me.

To throw us off Col de Turini, first you have to get us over there and second you have to be able to pick us up to toss us over which on our diet of Outback Steakhouse and Cracker Barrel is not bloody likely.

I give credit to Rally America and the X Games for trying some new things and I think they are working. There is a demand out there for exciting motorsport for those fans that haven't been brainwashed by nascar and I think rally could foot the bill.

The WRC could be making an appearance over here soon.
Old 21 May 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2695223)   #23
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The WRC could be making an appearance over here soon.
You guys are getting TV coverage of this years Championship, aren't you?
Old 21 May 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2695381)   #24
USRallycross
Racer

United States
We call Rally er Rally.....as in Rally America; NASA Rally Sport and US Rally Championship.

The SCCA own "rallycross" in the USA so we couldn't use that name. However, it was ESPN that named the X-Games component and before you moan about them if you think long-term, just imagine what ESPN can do for the sport as a whole.

We are looking forward to being at Lydden and identifying what we have missed in our plans for NJMP in August.

Mark
Old 21 May 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2695441)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
You guys are getting TV coverage of this years Championship, aren't you?
Yes.