Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Apr 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1283921)   #1
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry Marshall

I understand that there may be some very bad news to emerge concerning Gerry Marshall. I'd like to say more but it is possible that there may be family who don't know yet.

If, and I stress, if what I have heard is correwct, at least he went the way he would have wanted.

I hope I'm wrong of course, but sadly I fear not.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1284078)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope you'll forgive me for 'deleting' this thread earlier - the tragic news hadn't properly broken at the time and reading it on an internet forum would have been a terrible way for his close ones to find out...

There's a few threads on Gerry, including one in the Tributes forum, but I thought I'd restore this thread here because he was so well known on the historic circuit.

Very sad news.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1284403)   #3
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has come as very sad news.

I didn't personally know him but as a historic racer I was very impressed with his car control and sideways antics.

He will be very missed by the racing community.

My thougts go out to all family and friends
Old 22 Apr 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1284749)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There can never be too many threads about Gerry. Tragic news. Goodbye mate.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 23:40 (Ref:2583235)   #5
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
- happy b'day Dad.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2583397)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, your Dad is still sorely missed. Always provided great entertainment value in Historic racing cars, but I suppose that I should really merge this into the Tributes thread. What do you think, Gregor?
Old 17 Nov 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2583417)   #7
GBRM
Veteran

England
Up to you John, I'm happy for it to merged with tributes or driver files etc - it's not really news any more and I'm sure people don't want to see my ramblings on his birthday!!
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2583464)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gregor, ramble away! What's this about a tribute, but not thanks to the BRDC/Silverstone?
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2583465)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Gregor-I am sure the rest of us have no problems with your rambling thoughts about your dad.

Never know some of us could join in with a few stories that improve with telling.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2583471)   #10
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Gregor, ramble away! What's this about a tribute, but not thanks to the BRDC/Silverstone?
Hi John - there were moves afoot at Donington to do something but the GP seemed to have stopped that and I don't think now is the right time to re-appraoch Kevin W. The new book is out the start of next year and there is a Corgi model coming out too but other than that nothing I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Gregor-I am sure the rest of us have no problems with your rambling thoughts about your dad.

Never know some of us could join in with a few stories that improve with telling.
Thanks John - I must expand my discussion topics though - lol!!
I'm always happy to hear stories about Dad, good and bad, he was no saint but he did have a good side, no matter what some people might think or say!!
Old 17 Nov 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2583473)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'm always happy to hear about My Hero Gerry. You may have guessed from my sign in name that I have a bit of a Vauxhall history, but it was to learn more about Gerry's sad passing that led me to join ten-tenths in the first place.
Since that time I've enjoyed reading loads of interesting threads and taking part in many interesting discussions. Some more nice memories I have to thank The Big Man for...
Old 17 Nov 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2583552)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are many drivers who owe a great deal to Gerry's generosity,myself included.Very big hearted and a huge amount of fun to be around, to say the least.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2583600)   #13
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
CJCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry Marshall and Tony Lanfrachi... Club racing's Gods!!! These two are up in the sky at a bar drinking together, wondering what has happened to today's "club" racing!!
Old 17 Nov 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2583655)   #14
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many a good night had been spent down at the White Horse in Silverstone with Gerry
Old 20 Nov 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2586011)   #15
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can I just add that, to me, pulling over and turning off the ignition (in all senses) seems to be the perfect way to go - other than not waking up in the morning.

Great racer & still missed.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2586274)   #16
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCA View Post
Gerry Marshall and Tony Lanfrachi... Club racing's Gods!!! These two are up in the sky at a bar drinking together, wondering what has happened to today's "club" racing!!
I was both fortunate and un-fortunate to be in Gerry's company at Tone's 'wake' and I doubt we shall ever see their like again. Long may both their memories stand as tribute to the 'game'.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2586279)   #17
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
I was both fortunate and un-fortunate to be in Gerry's company at Tone's 'wake' and I doubt we shall ever see their like again. Long may both their memories stand as tribute to the 'game'.
Unfortunate in what way? Tell us the story.....
Old 21 Nov 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2586305)   #18
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Unfortunate in what way? Tell us the story.....
Simple, Tone was no longer with us, and Gerry was soon to follow. my association with both went back to the day's in the bar at Brands, along with Whizzo Warren Pearce, Quicky a man called Hunt the .... Chatty, Britten, Gabrial, so many; and with Mark Konig Tone and the Nomad's which had BRM engines then, Gerry yours truly et al gave Tone a good send off and the mother and father of a headache for most of us, 'sliding a few down' in Lanfranchi parlance.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2588007)   #19
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still think about Gerry. He was a unique, a one off.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2589184)   #20
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
Quote:
I doubt we shall ever see their like again. Long may both their memories stand as tribute to the 'game'.
Unfortunately, we probably shall not!! Their memories on the other hand, shall remain with most, if not all who read on this forum. I have based my helmet design on that of Lanfranchi's which some of you may or may not have seen.

ChrisA
Old 28 Nov 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2590636)   #21
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
And now John Britten has joined that growing group of 60's racers at the sky circuit.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2590746)   #22
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
And now John Britten has joined that growing group of 60's racers at the sky circuit.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119699
Old 29 Nov 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2591282)   #23
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCA View Post
I have based my helmet design on that of Lanfranchi's which some of you may or may not have seen.

ChrisA
Have you got a pic of your helmet Chris?
I've recently given Tony's nephew a load of photos that Dad had collected of TL; he was a big fan of him - a bit strange I know!!
Old 30 Nov 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2591924)   #24
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
here should be a few of the helmet for you. The design is a cross between Tony Lanfranchi's and that of my Father's which is the colours of the RAF Roundel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0339.JPG   IMG_0338.JPG   IMG_0336.JPG  

IMG_0335.JPG   IMG_0333.JPG  
Old 30 Nov 2009, 21:24 (Ref:2591932)   #25
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!

Unfortunately I haven't got a picture of Gerry in my car, but I have got this one of Tony getting ready to go out in it at Silverstone in I think 2000 ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !