Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 22 Jul 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3660111)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
World Rallycross R10 - Riga, Latvia

I'm jumping the gun a bit on this one, but as there has been a bit of activity at the new circuit over the last couple of days I thought I would give the Latvian round a thread of its own.

Video of the official launch of the circuit, which includes a couple of nice overview shots of the circuit, here:

https://youtu.be/iImjpk-IsqM

Adds a bit of context to the map of the circuit.

Some onboard footage from the cars here:

https://youtu.be/mphOw5oObrI

Circuit certainly looks well presented in the video. Looks like spectating will be limited to the grandstand area? The treeline along the back of the circuit looks picturesque, I hope it doesn't impede visibility too much.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 19:30 (Ref:3660201)   #2
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of concrete walls

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jul 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3660215)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
Lots of concrete walls
Disappointing for a place that looks like it could have a permanent track.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 22:13 (Ref:3660231)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saying that the gravel sections look excellent with no really tight bends, which circuit designers never seem to learn just rut up and cut up.

Yes its got walls, but IMG love that sort of thing, lots of stuff to crash into
Old 3 Oct 2016, 10:57 (Ref:3676968)   #5
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Second for Ekstrom and a weekend to forget for Solberg in Latvia. Unless Mattias has a major smash and has a zero score in Germany or Argentina then it seems unlikely that he won't take the title this year.

I think a different Champion is a positive thing for the Championship, though I was really hoping to see Petter make it three in a row: especially given the increased works competition in this years Championship.

What are peoples feelings on the Solberg disqualification in Q2? I don't disagree with punishing overly-aggressive driving but, despite my personal bias towards Petter, I still think the judging standard is a bit erratic. Was the decision made by a local circuit official, or someone from the FiA?
Old 3 Oct 2016, 11:17 (Ref:3676972)   #6
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
What are peoples feelings on the Solberg disqualification in Q2? I don't disagree with punishing overly-aggressive driving but, despite my personal bias towards Petter, I still think the judging standard is a bit erratic. Was the decision made by a local circuit official, or someone from the FiA?
I'm not sure, would be interesting to know. They should seriously overlook the judging standard anyway because it is very different judging sometimes for same situations, or for different drivers.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 11:37 (Ref:3676978)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There needs to be a proper judge of fact as there always used to be at every round, for things like track cutting, excessive contact, jump starts, shortcuts etc.

I would be amazed if there is not a group of stewards and technical people travelling to each round of the series, if not, there should be.

Rallycross has always been a contact sport at the top level, to a greater or lesser degree depending on the class and the era. But contact is almost necessary with the awful modern tracks made now and the joke lap era almost encouraging side by side contact on release.

It will always be the way. Petter has never been a dirty driver, so if he tries to be it will probably look awful! Loeb is learning the tricks of the trade but he has a long way to go to beat the likes of Bakkerud who I find now is a very dirty driver, and sometimes Hansen who is nothing like his Dad who was always as clean as he could be, unless really pushed!

You can win without being dirty, Kenny used to, Foust was clean, Timur was, but Isachsen was fairly bargey until he realised you don't win much driving like that!!

The less aid about Eriksson, Hunsbedt the better!! Eklund did some daft things, and the less said about my fave Jusse Rasku the better!! lol
Old 3 Oct 2016, 11:58 (Ref:3676981)   #8
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
I'm not sure, would be interesting to know. They should seriously overlook the judging standard anyway because it is very different judging sometimes for same situations, or for different drivers.
Yeah. The judging decisions have been my biggest single gripe with the Championship this year. They just don't seem to be consistent and, as you say, almost seem to vary between drivers.

The Baumanis semi-final decision in Mettet is the one that really sticks in my mind, as it just seemed too much of a coincidence that his punishment promoted Duval to the final. At the time I heard that call had come from the clerk of the course, but I'd really like to know if that was true.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 06:25 (Ref:3677153)   #9
Janneman
Rookie

Netherlands
Janneman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You just wonder why they drive 4 heats if 1 decision of the stewards ends your weekend. There must be better ways to do that. For instance, getting a penalty like Solberg did, means you have to take 2 jokerlaps in the semi. Anything better as an questionable decision of the stewards which decides who will be the champion.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 12:57 (Ref:3679287)   #10
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janneman View Post
You just wonder why they drive 4 heats if 1 decision of the stewards ends your weekend. There must be better ways to do that. For instance, getting a penalty like Solberg did, means you have to take 2 jokerlaps in the semi. Anything better as an questionable decision of the stewards which decides who will be the champion.
Yes, I agree - the consequences of this slightly erratic decision and the attrocious conditions in Q1 of Barcelona have in practice decided the championship.

I don't disagree that Ekky taking the championship probably contributes to elevate the overall appeal of the sport, but the way the championship was decided probably does not for budding teams and drivers.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 14:32 (Ref:3679311)   #11
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Not sure if anyone is interested, but Speedhunters have an article up on the Latvian round of the Championship:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/10/...rld-rx-latvia/

Larry Chen is one of my fave photographers, so great to see his spin on World Rallycross.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3679322)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Larry is great, but he is a little in drinks companies pockets, as you would be as that is the only way he would likely be going to an event such as this.

He does take some great pics though when just freelancing, his Gatebil stuff was superb