Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Mar 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2647324)   #1
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stirling Moss lift accident

Just read on Joe sawards blog that Sir Stirling has suffered a nasty accident at his home involving a fall from a lift. I am sure I will not be alone in wishing Sir Stirling a speedy and full recovery.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...-sir-stirling/
Old 8 Mar 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2647330)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Best wishes, Sir Stirling!!!

A true, TRUE gentleman. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Selby
Old 8 Mar 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2647336)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, I'll add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2647340)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not good news Good to hear he is already complaining about hospital food though, he's on the mend

Here's to a speedy recovery, Sir Stirling.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 8 Mar 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2647343)   #5
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Time he got a new lift, I think
Old 8 Mar 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2647351)   #6
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, nobody who saw him race will forget the style and speed and I add I hope that he makes a full recovery, it won't be the first time! I see that Sid Watkins was called, how good is that!

Very best wishes Sir S
Old 8 Mar 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2647374)   #7
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The very best wishes to Sir Stirling that sounds a nasty accident.

The man is (in my humble opinion) the greatest driver the world has ever seen and a living legend.

The documentry on Motors TV about a year ago was amazing.

Steve
Old 8 Mar 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2647376)   #8
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just caught the news.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Sir Stirling.

P
Old 8 Mar 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2647377)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Get Well soon Sir, and look where you are going in future!
Old 8 Mar 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2647416)   #10
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the advertising he done couple years back for impotence, I'd have assumed he wouldn't need a "lift" any longer.

All joking aside, a wonderful man who I have spoken to at Goodwood on several occasions and at Retro Classic a couple of years ago. I was stunned when Motorsport had an 80th anniverary edition for him, he always has so much enthusiam for life.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Sir Stirling. A true knight of the realm, not like some of these sordid political chumps.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2647419)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I wonder who the lift engineers are ? as I thought that you can't open the door if the lift is down the shaft !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Mar 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2647420)   #12
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I wonder who the lift engineers are ? as I thought that you can't open the door if the lift is down the shaft !!
I guess that this might be the nature of the malfunction referred to in the article? If there had been no failure, there would not have been an incident?
Old 8 Mar 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2647446)   #13
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The Moss house has been full of unusual gadgets since the 60's, some of which must be well past their sell by date by now although I have no idea if this was the problem.

I hope he has a quick and as full a recovery that a man of his age can achieve. If anybody can do it he can
Old 8 Mar 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2647463)   #14
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a horrific accident!

My very best wishes to Stirling for a speedy recovery.

You have done it before, please come back as good as new for Goodwood!
Old 8 Mar 2010, 14:40 (Ref:2647468)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
After the advertising he done couple years back for impotence, I'd have assumed he wouldn't need a "lift" any longer.
Shame on you for making a penis / elevator joke without commenting on the length of his shaft.

God bless Sir Stirling, I hope he's up and about again soon.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2647474)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Wishing Sir Sterling a speedy recovery an hoping that he will grace everyone with his still wonderful driving skills at this years Le Mans Classic
Old 8 Mar 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2647494)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow, he's lucky to be alive. They don't make 'em like the used to. Get well soon Sterling!
Old 8 Mar 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2647534)   #18
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
just saw the news on Autosport just now and had a flashback to a clip of him showing off his house, and I vaguely remember a sort of fancy sort of lift, horizontal door iirc, seamless with the floor or something like that.

was very shocked by the news, broken ankles ouch , but I sincerely hope the early reports of no back or internal injuries remains the case. I dont think any of us half his age would appreciate having to recover from something like this so I obviously wish him the best with it.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2647538)   #19
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First reports sounded like a minor mishap but having seen a more detailed report on the BBC web site I am concerned for our elder statesman of motorsport. Sounds like a really nasty incident, I'd certainly like to wish him a rapid and complete recovery.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2647546)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
OMG thats terrible, get well soon Stirling!
Old 8 Mar 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2647576)   #21
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 stories apparently - tough man, our Sir. Hope he's on the mend soon enough....
Old 8 Mar 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2647588)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"already complaining about the size of the hospital breakfast".

Get well soon Sir Stirling.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2647612)   #23
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just heard this news on the BBC TV news - two broken ankles and damaged vertabrae - OUCH!

Best wishes for a quick recovery to a real living legend - was only looking at a C-type that he'd driven when visiting Donington museum yesterday....as well as many other references to him on other exhibits
Old 8 Mar 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2647689)   #24
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A really nasty mishap to befall anybody,it might cheer him up if somebody in Bahrain has the time to organise a get well soon message to wave from the grid.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2647731)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Get well soon Stirling.

I'm glad to hear that Sid is sorting him out.

I believe the lift was one of his treasured possessions that was featured in the Octane's Gearbox feature or similar.

Last edited by Adam43; 8 Mar 2010 at 21:11.