Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Sep 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2537061)   #101
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know the weight, but they are essentially Clio RS engines aren't they? So I assume if you can find the weight of them then it would be similar. Just asked a guy who works in the BARC series and used to race in it, he doesn't know the weight but described it as a 'heavy lump'.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2543784)   #102
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dean Smith won pole for race 1 from James Calado - top 4 in points all qualified in the top 6...
Old 20 Sep 2009, 00:22 (Ref:2544114)   #103
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dean Smith won race 1 from Calado & Stoneman - Oli Webb Dnf'd

Smith has the race 2 pole aswell...
Old 20 Sep 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2544599)   #104
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Dean Smith got the race 2 win aswell - the perfect weekend at Rockingham for him
Old 21 Sep 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2544985)   #105
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
What a dominant weekend for Smith, he has suddenly surged 25 points ahead of Calado (including dropped scores) with just 2 races left, great performance! Bad weekend for Stoneman and Webb, who each picked up a DNF...unfortunate really as they have both been mega consistent all year long.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2545323)   #106
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would it be controversial of me to suggest that Dean Smith has an unfair advantage due to the fact that he has been in the series since 2006 and has so much experience in comparison to his rivals?

This was something I was pondering when watching the 2nd race yesterday as he disappeared into the distance. I fear he will suffer Pantano Syndrome. And to be fair, if I was a junior series team boss, I'd probably be looking more at Calado, Stoneman and Webb. Nothing against him at all, but he's 21 and it's his 3rd year of Formula Renault. In his 3rd year, he should be dominating every round like this
Old 21 Sep 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2545513)   #107
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
You could say its an unfair advantage but there are no laws against competing in Formula Renault for a number of years. I would rather see him racing than not at all because he is very good (FBMW champion ahead of Sam Bird a few years back). And of course he has tried to step up, but budget restrictions forced him back into Renault.

He was mega quick last year when he did the final two British F3 races, out-pacing team mate Marcus Ericsson with ease, and finishing 4th behind only Alguersuari, Hartley and Turvey in his debut race. He then did the WSbR end of year test and was in the top 8, as well as topping a test session at Paul Ricard in the Megane Eurocup on his tin-top debut. He missed the first round this year as he was still looking for an F3 drive. He's won 6 races and is looking likely to win the title, as you'd expect. I can see what you mean, he definately has an advantage, but I say good on him! He couldn't do anything else so the next best thing is to just keep racing.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2547448)   #108
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
runshaw has summarised very well.

The best thing any young driver can do if they're short of money (as most British drivers can atest to over time!) is keep themselves in the shop window of the team bosses in the series above and keep reminding people how good you are. I know FR 2.0 doesn't support F3 and that but you know what I mean!

I recall drivers like Martin Donnelly's career nearly coming off the rails at F3 level because he struggled to find the money and had to be a little 'inventive' in getting drives. Fortunately people like Eddie Jordan and Glenn Waters knew all too well how good Martin was so he never slipped off the radar.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2547481)   #109
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Would it be controversial of me to suggest that Dean Smith has an unfair advantage due to the fact that he has been in the series since 2006 and has so much experience in comparison to his rivals?

This was something I was pondering when watching the 2nd race yesterday as he disappeared into the distance. I fear he will suffer Pantano Syndrome. And to be fair, if I was a junior series team boss, I'd probably be looking more at Calado, Stoneman and Webb. Nothing against him at all, but he's 21 and it's his 3rd year of Formula Renault. In his 3rd year, he should be dominating every round like this
If you were a Junior series team boss you would be looking at any driver who could afford to do the job properly! If Dean or any other driver for that matter has budget they can buy drives at any level. Thats motor-racing.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2550521)   #110
guppie
Rookie

guppie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4th year!!!

Dean is actually in his 4th year of Formula Renault!!!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2550578)   #111
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
The above posts still apply nonetheless. It underlines further how hard it is for some class drivers to move up simply due to budget. And note my post about his British F3 performance last year, which is essentially a step up.

And in reference again to jab's point about looking more towards Calado, Webb etc if you were a team boss, you have to remember that Fortec wanted him in the car for F3 this year. And Trevor Carlin said he would have no qualms about running Smith when he tested for them after winning the FBMW title in 2005, beating future Carlin racers Sam Bird, Oliver Turvey and Niall Breen!
Old 4 Oct 2009, 08:54 (Ref:2553679)   #112
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Dean Smith & James Calado have the poles for the final round at Brands Hatch...

Really hoping that Josh Scott can have a great run - starting from P3 in Race 2
Old 4 Oct 2009, 14:44 (Ref:2553877)   #113
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dean Smith wins the first race and the championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Really hoping that Josh Scott can have a great run - starting from P3 in Race 2
Well, race 1 didn't go too well...was a bit brief
Old 4 Oct 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2554179)   #114
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Dean Smith & James Calado took the race wins & Smith won the championship - congrats to him...

Final Points?
Old 5 Oct 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2554569)   #115
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Final Points:

1. Dean Smith Manor Competition 466
2. James Calado Fortec Motorsport 423
3. Oliver Webb Fortec Motorsport 416
4. Dean Stoneman Alpine Motorsport 406
5. Harry Tincknell CRS Racing 312 (Graduate Champion)
6. Jesse Krohn Mark Burdett Motorsport 257
7. Will Stevens Fortec Motorsport 239
8. Joshua Scott CRS Racing 230
9. Fredrik Blomstedt Fortec Motorsport 229
10. David McDonald Manor Competition 205
11. Lewis Williamson CRS Racing 201
12. Jordan Oakes Hitech Junior Team 199
13. Matias Laine CRS Racing 135
14. Pal Tamas Kiss Hitech Junior Team 132
15. Thomas Hylkema Manor Competition 119
16. Isa Yousif Alpine Motorsport 114
17. Euan Hankey CRS Racing 86
18. Nick Yelloly Hitech Junior Team 83
19. Alice Powell Manor Competition 83
20. Tom Armour TA1 Motorsport 75

Congrats to Dean Smith, thats the second major single-seater title he's picked up at Brands! Calado's drive in the second race was equally impressive, his 8th win of the season. Webb and Stoneman were still in title contention in round 19 but Smith pulled it off, but all 4 of these guys were the stars of the year. There's been some really great racing all year long. Harry Tincknell won the Graduate title from Brawn GP backed Will Stevens. Jesse Krohn made an overdue return to the podium for Mark Burdett, Josh Scott was unlucky not to get one. But great to see Josh and Jordan Oakes who parked up on the slowing down lap a few metres away from each other and doing some great donuts+burnouts for the fans!

Smith is now aiming for the F3 Euroseries with Manor, and Calado is also aiming for F3, as i'm sure Stoneman, Webb and Krohn are. Josh Scott also said his intention is to race in the F3 Euroseries. As for the graduates, i'm sure Tincknell, Stevens, Williamson, Pal Kiss, Yelloly and Alice Powell will be the ones to watch next year if they return. Tincknell looks like a star in the waiting and is overseen by Allan Mcnish.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2554794)   #116
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Josh Scott's intention to race in the Euro Series - he must have rich parents perhaps because i dont know where he would get the funding from

Twas a great season of Formula Renault racing - not often you have 4 drivers running for a title right up to the end of a long season
Old 5 Oct 2009, 23:48 (Ref:2554837)   #117
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Yeah Scott did say his main aim was the Euroseries, but I did see him walking around the F2 paddock at Donington earlier in the year, which is a helluva lot cheaper...
Old 6 Oct 2009, 07:11 (Ref:2554945)   #118
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If CR Scuderia keep these drivers, next year we may see huge intra-team title battle
Btw, what's the situation with the chassis in Britain? Will they change it to the new Forti look-alike?
Old 6 Oct 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2555164)   #119
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
If CR Scuderia keep these drivers, next year we may see huge intra-team title battle
Btw, what's the situation with the chassis in Britain? Will they change it to the new Forti look-alike?
Yes, there has already been over 20 orders for the new car. It should be with them by November. Fortec, Manor, CRS, Mark Burdett and Hitech Junior have ordered them. As well as BARC team Antel Motorsport and Clio racers Team Pyro. Ian Barnwell who used to run Sean Mcintosh amongst others in Team Firstair is returning to the series as well.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2555409)   #120
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
Lots of new cars in Britain, there seems to be lots of opposition to the new car in Europe, will we see more British teams contesting the Eurocup?
Old 7 Oct 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2555978)   #121
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Not sure, Fortec, Hitech and Manor occasionally do Eurocup rounds. I don't really know why British teams don't run duel campaigns in the UK and Europe, because a lot of Italian and Swiss Formula Renault teams do both every year, as well as the WEC+NEC teams. I suppose its crossing over the Channel which is the main reason! Why is there opposition to the car in Europe?
Old 7 Oct 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2556257)   #122
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
There aren't many orders, are they? It's the car design(has it passed crash testing?), it will be again the old story with "for next year, we have an update - it's mandatory!", also some question the speed of the car and most of all the timing - we're still in recession. Renault say they were anticipating 150 orders, quite a tall order...
Old 29 Oct 2009, 02:08 (Ref:2571785)   #123
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surprised to notice the Winter Series starts this weekend. Haven't heard much about it this year, and the official site can't even be bothered to list the dates it seems.

Dates:
Saturday 31st October - Snetterton
Saturday 7th November - Rockingham

Manor Competition will run David McDonald, Thomas Hylkema, Menasheh Idafar and Robert Foster-Jones.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2571856)   #124
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Surprised to notice the Winter Series starts this weekend. Haven't heard much about it this year, and the official site can't even be bothered to list the dates it seems.

Dates:
Saturday 31st October - Snetterton
Saturday 7th November - Rockingham

Manor Competition will run David McDonald, Thomas Hylkema, Menasheh Idafar and Robert Foster-Jones.
Robert Foster Jones is the 2009 British Kart Champion. He is the protege of former Formula Renault star Ricky Flynn. He has also done a hell of a lot of Formula Renault testing this year, so expect him to be on the money!
Old 31 Oct 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2572918)   #125
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemun View Post
Robert Foster Jones is the 2009 British Kart Champion. He is the protege of former Formula Renault star Ricky Flynn. He has also done a hell of a lot of Formula Renault testing this year, so expect him to be on the money!
Looking at the qualifying times he didn't do much wet testing

Tags
formula renault