Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Aug 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3923000)   #4451
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Up-date;

Battery charged, car started, ran it round to Danny, who put a meter across it, idling and under load, and al is well. Saving me a minimum of £40 for a replacement (normal price £65.00)

Apparently Corsa's have problem with the instrument panel that was subject of a recall some years ago, a small plug at the rear can become loose or fall out leading to problems. Replacement about £400, and second hand ones are no good as they have to be programmed to the car. From his own experience with his daughters Corsa he found a similar problem to mine. The blue warning light when on full beam had not gone out and drained the battery overnight. Dropping the panel and pushing the plug in cured it. I will need to keep an eye on any warning light when leaving the car for long periods.

Thanks again for your advises, it is good to have friends.

Kind regards,

Uncle bauble.
What year and model is the Corsa?
Old 16 Aug 2019, 18:01 (Ref:3923001)   #4452
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
What year and model is the Corsa?
06 SXI 16Valve 1389cc.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3923002)   #4453
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
06 SXI 16Valve 1389cc.
My wife has a 2016 Corsa E and the throttle pedal gives up on them, don't know if yours has the same set up. One time all warning lamps came on and she had to turn it off for fifteen minutes, second time it want into limp mode, restarted it and it was OK again, throttle pedal changed and It's been OK since.
Your problem is battery related and I expect it'll go again within a week or so.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3923003)   #4454
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Alfa electrics are a mystery that defy physics.
Funny that - I've owned 7 high-mileage Alfas since 1981 but no electrical problems. Now turbos... but they've got 'Made in Germany' stamped on them!
Old 16 Aug 2019, 18:27 (Ref:3923004)   #4455
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the Corsa theme, my mums car, haven't a clue the specs or year. One thing I do know is the constant reak of petrol occasionally. Never have managed to find out the root to the problem.

Next lesson on Sunday at 8:00 .Not a bad to do it I think.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3923005)   #4456
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
So, we can now return to the more usual hostile service I presume?
So, lets go! Bob you learnt from the idiot lights…………
Old 16 Aug 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3923006)   #4457
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
My wife has a 2016 Corsa E and the throttle pedal gives up on them, don't know if yours has the same set up. One time all warning lamps came on and she had to turn it off for fifteen minutes, second time it want into limp mode, restarted it and it was OK again, throttle pedal changed and It's been OK since.
Your problem is battery related and I expect it'll go again within a week or so.

Oh Thanks for cheering me up Tim. Just the sort of news I like to hear.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3923009)   #4458
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Glad it’s not just a Volvo FH problem, then Tim! Mind you, bet changing the one on my truck was a lot quicker than same job on a Corsa.....
Old 16 Aug 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3923012)   #4459
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The reason I got rid of my Saab was the Vauxhall Vectra parts failed. All the electrics that went wrong also featured on the Vectra forums......

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 16 Aug 2019, 21:07 (Ref:3923020)   #4460
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Delta truck MOT looming up soon . Just had to buy new headlights £175.00 each . I’ve bought a spare airbag to keep in the truck after that last breakdown. New airbag .£70.00. 😀
Old 16 Aug 2019, 21:27 (Ref:3923022)   #4461
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Glad to hear you're all sorted now baub.
So, we can now return to the more usual hostile service I presume?
Oh Dear! I had not realised we had a truce Viv, so I have been ignoring all of your posts assuming they were intended to leave me stranded in the wilderness somewhere north of Hadrian's Wall in a cloud of steam, a pool of oil and surrounded by molten engine parts. Without a pie to my name.

I am sorry for having misjudged your good intentions. I am ashamed of myself
Old 17 Aug 2019, 14:06 (Ref:3923085)   #4462
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Morris Minor, Austin A35!

I know this is resurrecting a topic, but I've been absent for a bit - was lead organiser for the National Weekend of the Imp Club the other weekend and the time involved and the ffort kept me fully occupied!

Like others I learnt the basics manouevering a E93A Ford (sit-up-and-beg) around a friends private access road, then learnt my road driving in Dad's A35 van (with added side windows).

To give Will some heart, I remember my first road lesson (actually the Sunday a day before my 17th birthday (Naughty boy) ) and before I started it I couldn't believe I'd ever be prised from behind the wheel....after about an hour I was absolutely exhausted and my co-ordination was shot to hell....when Dad asked if I wanted him to take over I was so grateful
Old 17 Aug 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3923086)   #4463
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

To give Will some heart, I remember my first road lesson (actually the Sunday a day before my 17th birthday (Naughty boy) ) and before I started it I couldn't believe I'd ever be prised from behind the wheel....after about an hour I was absolutely exhausted and my co-ordination was shot to hell....when Dad asked if I wanted him to take over I was so grateful
Old 17 Aug 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3923088)   #4464
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:

Have got my 2nd driving lesson tomorrow with the new guy.Not sure what to expect but definitely starting to feel more comfortable about doing it.
Still a nervous wreck though.I don't let it get the better of me though.
Old 17 Aug 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3923089)   #4465
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
How the heck do you remember that? Good to see it's a Norfolk reg, though....

I'm one of those annoying people who seem to be able to remember all of the registration numbers of my early cars.....

TVU232 (the A35 I passed my test in in 1967)
ACP613B (Hillman Imp bought soon after starting work in 69, written off after about 6 months )
1823 HE (Mk1 Cortina 1200 - rusty as anything at six years old)
ANH878B (Triumph Vitesse 1600)

etc
Old 17 Aug 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3923100)   #4466
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
More entertaining than ‘How to replace the screen on your phone’ vids, anyway!

Double de-clutching definitely a dying skill! Reckon all newbies should be taught it.....

Found the Fuller video interesting, although he didn't really explain the range change much, or how what appeared to be an 8 speed was called a 13-speed...

Of course as I learnt my early driving on a three speed Ford box with no synchro to first, and not much to second, double declutching was a necessary learned skill - and to this day I still automatically default to using the technique when down-shifting when pressing on, because of course we also were taught to use engine braking to aid the feeble brakes of the day

Which reminds me of my second test - which I passed.....at the end of the drive the examiner asked me a few questions then asked "what do you do when you see a steep hill sign?" to which I replied "Change down a gear".

"Correct", he said - "Why didn't you?"........

After a moments panic I replied that I couldn't remember anywhere on the route where it would have been necessary and didn't remember seeing a sign.....but then realised that it must have been a short drop called Red Bank - but said it wasn't long enough to require a gear drop. Examiner - "Well if you aren't going to see signs....." but then confirmed my guess was right - but asked why I was supposed to change down - and of course I replied to prevent brake fade - but that as Red Bank was only a 100 yards or so that wasn't an issue.......

Examiner sighed....then said - "OK, you know the theory - just make sure you put it into practice - here's your pass!"
Old 17 Aug 2019, 16:21 (Ref:3923103)   #4467
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Alfa electrics are a mystery that defy physics.

As another who has driven Alfas for most of the last 15 years, I can confirm that this is another of the sad old tropes that continue to be quoted - usually by people who've never owned a modern Alfa......even my Sud back in 79 was fine electrically - it rotted before my eyes, of course

I can recommend a 159 to anyone who fancies one, although the V6 Q4 is a bit heavy, tho still rapid, and with great grip from the 4wd. Also a bit thirsty and heavy on the road tax.....My current 175K mile 2.0 JTDm sportwagon is still brisk and economical enough for me for the use I give it.

Still with my Alfa anorak on, both the 2.2 4-pot and 3.2 V6 petrol engines in the 159/Brera are based on Aussie GM blocks, but with Alfa designed heads - and do share a lot of similarities with some Vauxhall stuff. Most people (me included) actually prefer the 1.9, 2.0 or 5-pot 2.4 diesel engined versions which use Fiat Power Train (FPT) designed engines which are robust and torquey - tho the 5-pot ones are not too economical - but sound good. 1.9 diesels unfortunately use a crappy GM gearbox with inadequately specced bearings so tend to wilt unless an upgrade kit is fitted.

The GT was the last of the Alfas to use the legendary Busso V6 (in 3.2 guise) - reputedly re-engineering it to meet current emission standards wasn't possible, sadly.
Old 17 Aug 2019, 16:46 (Ref:3923107)   #4468
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
As another who has driven Alfas for most of the last 15 years, I can confirm that this is another of the sad old tropes that continue to be quoted - usually by people who've never owned a modern Alfa......even my Sud back in 79 was fine electrically - it rotted before my eyes, of course.

The GT was the last of the Alfas to use the legendary Busso V6 (in 3.2 guise) - reputedly re-engineering it to meet current emission standards wasn't possible, sadly.
A parallel in the world of motorcycles- the 2001 Ducati that I’ve had since new, complete with 4 valve Desmo heads, fuel injection and electronic ignition, has never missed a beat. Do keep it away from salt though! I had a new BMW GS in 2004, and the electrics were a constant problem....

It’s often been said in the last few years that ‘so and so’ engine could not be made to meet emissions requirements, so production stopped. And yet the age old 6.75 litre V8 pushrod Bentley engine is still being used. Must be something to do with good head and combustion chamber design, thermal efficiency and all that stuff......
Old 17 Aug 2019, 16:59 (Ref:3923112)   #4469
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As another who has driven Alfas for most of the last 15 years, I can confirm that this is another of the sad old tropes that continue to be quoted - usually by people who've never owned a modern Alfa......even my Sud back in 79 was fine electrically - it rotted before my eyes, of course

I can recommend a 159 to anyone who fancies one, although the V6 Q4 is a bit heavy, tho still rapid, and with great grip from the 4wd. Also a bit thirsty and heavy on the road tax.....My current 175K mile 2.0 JTDm sportwagon is still brisk and economical enough for me for the use I give it.

Still with my Alfa anorak on, both the 2.2 4-pot and 3.2 V6 petrol engines in the 159/Brera are based on Aussie GM blocks, but with Alfa designed heads - and do share a lot of similarities with some Vauxhall stuff. Most people (me included) actually prefer the 1.9, 2.0 or 5-pot 2.4 diesel engined versions which use Fiat Power Train (FPT) designed engines which are robust and torquey - tho the 5-pot ones are not too economical - but sound good. 1.9 diesels unfortunately use a crappy GM gearbox with inadequately specced bearings so tend to wilt unless an upgrade kit is fitted.

I can confirm that i havent driven a modern alfa but did own a Sud Sprint which I loved......and which did have electrics that defied physics. I have also owned a race 33 and raced another Sprint.

I am an alfa fan but i do know enough modern alfa owners to know that their reliability remains questionable, sadly.
Old 17 Aug 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3923119)   #4470
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And then there's this. https://youtu.be/JTpVkjQ4lLk
Old 17 Aug 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3923125)   #4471
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lancs can you adjudicate in the Great Imp Clutch Riddle above? I'm sure a statement from the club would settle it once and for all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Aug 2019, 22:23 (Ref:3923141)   #4472
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And then there's this. https://youtu.be/JTpVkjQ4lLk

I wonder how many were damaged before filming was completed?

I am an Alfa fan. My first wife had an Alfa Sud. Just an ordinary 1.2 model but I loved it and drove it whenever possible. Later I had an Alfa 156 Sportwagon which was probably the best driver's car I ever had. And despite racing Lotus Cortinas I always thought the Alfa Giulia Sprint GT was by far a nicer car.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 04:35 (Ref:3923153)   #4473
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
And despite racing Lotus Cortinas I always thought the Alfa Giulia Sprint GT was by far a nicer car.
Yes, I'm with you on that. I'd love a Giulia (saloon though) as a road car, but sadly as a race car they are not competitive nowadays against the well developed Fords.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 18 Aug 2019 at 07:43. Reason: Giulia wrongly spelled!
Old 18 Aug 2019, 06:39 (Ref:3923157)   #4474
bauble
Veteran

England
I had a rather second hand GT Veloce that had power to spare, but handled like a bowl of soup. lovely to drive though and a great noise.

I have driven Imps, but never looked at the clutch operating mechanism. What was I thinking of?

I used to take my girls to school in the Alfa, and at a parents evening I was chatting to another parent who told me that when her husband announced to the family that he was getting a brand new Cortina, his daughter replied; "Leanne Bull's dad has an Alfa Romeo."
Old 18 Aug 2019, 06:50 (Ref:3923158)   #4475
bauble
Veteran

England
https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/new...rior/?ref=ebln

Knowing the interests of many on here roam far and wide I thought this might strike a chord.

Sad yet uplifting.