Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Nov 2019, 19:30 (Ref:3940232)   #5651
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm afraid you can't - there's no R in the middle
Wait a bit Max, he'll have to ask for kwossons! Lets see what he'll get! Not mentioning the weather…*

Iain the rain can lead you to Cines Odeon or Yelmo Cines a good excuse to watch le Mans 66, who knows? Even in black and white it can be a good entertainment!
Old 12 Nov 2019, 19:59 (Ref:3940237)   #5652
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Alan Morgan is going to see the film Friday morning at 10.30. I shall wait for his report . I did buy Motor Sport Mag . Nice article on Ken Miles .
Old 12 Nov 2019, 20:00 (Ref:3940238)   #5653
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I sold my two wheeler trailer and was looking for a decent four wheeler, in the mean time I used to borrow a trailer from a guy that had a tyre firm who kept insisting that I used it at weekends.
I used it for a few months but every time I collected it there was always something wrong with it, like broken mudguards/broken lights and the usual jockey wheel that had been buggered up because the monkeys that worked for him never wound it up tight. When I got my new trailer he admitted to me that he knew that come Mondays he always had a decent trailer for a few days
My Anglia Van used to tow well with a 1650cc engine and I remember being done on the A11 for 86mph fully loaded
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Nov 2019, 20:01 (Ref:3940239)   #5654
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'm afraid you can't - there's no R in the middle

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Trust you Max. Well spotted
Old 12 Nov 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3940240)   #5655
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
See that, Mike??? Iain is the new supporter of your… Canaries!
Slippery slope back to the championship .
Old 12 Nov 2019, 20:07 (Ref:3940242)   #5656
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just landed in Fuerterventura . Bet you all thought I could not spell that ..Anyone know if there is a race track near by .Bored allready
¿Cómo está tu Iain español?
https://www.facebook.com/GranKartingFuerteventura/
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Nov 2019, 05:41 (Ref:3940306)   #5657
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Slippery slope back to the championship .
All part of the plan- we're taking the money and running...….
Old 13 Nov 2019, 06:25 (Ref:3940310)   #5658
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I think Malcom Clube used to tow his Sports Racer behind a Roller (maybe a Bentley?) painted matt black back in the mid 70's.

Martin Overington refuelling his supercharged 4.5-litre Bentley complete with the brand new Bentley Continental GT3 car he was towing to Silverstone at the time.

Another good one... dont know who but a Bugatti type 46 towing a Type 35.

Martin Overington also tows his Porsche 962 behind his Bentley. British eccentric or good PR for his company?
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...s-porsche-962/
Old 13 Nov 2019, 07:12 (Ref:3940313)   #5659
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Martin Overington also tows his Porsche 962 behind his Bentley. British eccentric or good PR for his company?
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...s-porsche-962/
A bit of both surely.

Old 13 Nov 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3940381)   #5660
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Towing stories ... my late father had a single-seat ex-Brooklands MG J4 in the mid-50s, and he used to tow that on a drawbar (no trailer) behind his MGTD .. at some meetings he would remove all the towing gubbins and race the TD too, before putting it all together and driving home again! The TD will barely drag itself up a decent hill in any case, what it was like towing another car I cannot imagine! Sadly never seen a photo anywhere of the whole shaboodle ...

Apparently they had real trouble getting the supercharged J4 to perform, the only time it ever really came on song was at a sprint down at Eastney, on the edge of Portsmouth harbour, which ended on a slipway into the sea ... first time he'd ever really needed the brakes!!!
Old 13 Nov 2019, 16:42 (Ref:3940434)   #5661
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
My first tow car was a 3 litre Rover . When we were building the GT6 I would work Saturday afternoons and evening serving fuel. The owner of the garage who was passionate about motor racing let me have this Rover for £60.00. This was way back in 1974. My girlfriend and I also had a lot of fun on the back seat . Ah happy days . Bumped into her a few years ago and she suggested we went for a drink. My conscience got the better of me and I sadly declined .
Old 13 Nov 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3940437)   #5662
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
In 1977 I got my first single seater F4 car. The Rover gearbox failed so I bought an Austin Cambridge estate which served me very well for a couple of years . End of the 70’s and I got a proper job “ been self employed during most of that decade “. ‘This was at Volvo and I bought a 245 but it needed a Re spray . I was out on the fire engine on a call in Reading most of the night one time . I shall never forget getting back to work the following day to find my Volvo had had a full on paint job . The whole body shop and management had taken the car in and she was absolutely stunning . That old car served me for many many years towing the race car up and down the country . More happy days
Old 13 Nov 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3940438)   #5663
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
When I first started Mini Se7en racing I towed my race car with my trusty (and rusty!) Viva GT, big 2 litre engine made it easy, but I carried all of my tools & spares in the race car on my 2 wheel trailer. Eventually my Viva had to go to the big gravel car park in the sky and was replaced by a Mini Clubman Estate which ran a lightly tuned 1300cc engine and had big front disc brakes, it went quite well but lacked the torque of the Vauxhall. Nearing home on a trip back from Brands we unfortunately go into a bit of a snake (I still carried everything in the race car) which got worse. So I changed into third gear to try and pull it straight, but it was now just snaking at a higher speed. All I could think was 'when I finally end up in the ditch, all of that lot behind will end upon top of me, and that's going to hurt!'. I was ow using all of the road (luckily nothing came the other way) and decided that I just slow things down as much as possible to reduce the impact of the inevitable accident. Every time the trailer was straight behind the car, I stood on the brakes and more by luck than judgement I got away with it but had certainly learned a valuable lesson about nose weights and weight distribution!
Old 13 Nov 2019, 17:32 (Ref:3940439)   #5664
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In 1977 I got my first single seater F4 car. The Rover gearbox failed so I bought an Austin Cambridge estate which served me very well for a couple of years . End of the 70’s and I got a proper job “ been self employed during most of that decade “. ‘This was at Volvo and I bought a 245 but it needed a Re spray . I was out on the fire engine on a call in Reading most of the night one time . I shall never forget getting back to work the following day to find my Volvo had had a full on paint job . The whole body shop and management had taken the car in and she was absolutely stunning . That old car served me for many many years towing the race car up and down the country . More happy days
I remember the Volvo well (and seeing you tow the F4 car round the Thruxton paddock behind the Cambridge to get it to start). Was that Volvo the one which resulted in you adopting a cat?
Old 13 Nov 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3940443)   #5665
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Was that Volvo the one which resulted in you adopting a cat?
Alan do you mean a Volvo can be considered either "hairy" or "cat-astrophic"? May be the cat is useful to hunt Canaries!
Old 13 Nov 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3940445)   #5666
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I remember the Volvo well (and seeing you tow the F4 car round the Thruxton paddock behind the Cambridge to get it to start). Was that Volvo the one which resulted in you adopting a cat?
Yep spot on Alan .
Old 13 Nov 2019, 18:17 (Ref:3940447)   #5667
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes Viv I too have twice been in that situation . I just hit the brakes and prayed .
Old 13 Nov 2019, 18:29 (Ref:3940449)   #5668
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The latest in a looooong list of trailer adventures for me was when I bought the 924 that I used in the 2012 360MC 6Hours.

Readers with long memories will recall I bought the 924 from eBay, it cost me £160 and was a salutary lesson on why not to go on eBay after a couple of drinks.

Well, MGDavid and I set off down to collect it from Maidstone. We used his trailer to haul it back to chez David, whereupon we loaded it on my trailer. It ran on nearly three cylinders and the brakes were locked on, but with several hundred metres of run up the car *just* made it up on to the trailer. The wheels were jammed on the runners and it had run out of power to go any further. But the engine was where I normally had the Midget engine so what could possibly go wrong?

Alas I'd forgotten the rear gearbox! It was so unbalanced that at the dizzy speeds of 37mph it swayed uncontrollably. The M4 was so dangerous, and I took to the A4 and settled in for the long, slow haul back to Wiltshire....

Next morning I looked out on the disaster I'd bought, and sighed. If only the trailer had snaked me into a ditch I could have made a profit on the insurance.

Remember kids, don't go on eBay after beer!

Old 13 Nov 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3940455)   #5669
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The latest in a looooong list of trailer adventures for me was when I bought the 924 that I used in the 2012 360MC 6Hours.

Readers with long memories will recall I bought the 924 from eBay, it cost me £160 and was a salutary lesson on why not to go on eBay after a couple of drinks.
Tango 924 was also an eBay purchase, but came with a trailer! Only problem was that the Equipe had been parked in a field for a long time, and not only was the car seized on the trailer (brakes), but the trailer wheels wouldn’t turn either...... I eventually managed to make space to attach the van and literally drag the reluctant trailer out of the field. First few miles were very tentative, and the whole journey home very slow! After sorting the brakes and fitting new tyres, the (BJ) trailer gave superb service on many journeys and was eventually sold for more than the original cost with the car.....
Old 13 Nov 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3940458)   #5670
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Tango 924 was also an eBay purchase, but came with a trailer! Only problem was that the Equipe had been parked in a field for a long time, and not only was the car seized on the trailer (brakes), but the trailer wheels wouldn’t turn either...... I eventually managed to make space to attach the van and literally drag the reluctant trailer out of the field. First few miles were very tentative, and the whole journey home very slow! After sorting the brakes and fitting new tyres, the (BJ) trailer gave superb service on many journeys and was eventually sold for more than the original cost with the car.....

Great result!
Old 13 Nov 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3940459)   #5671
midgetman
Veteran

My trailer gave me many years of service carrying MG Midgets, but was just that bit too small for the 924. I sold it to finance the roll cage.

Old 13 Nov 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3940478)   #5672
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I must say you chaps certainly find some fascinating topics to pas the timer with.

Trailers I Have Towed. Adventures With A Ball Hitch. How to Swap Ends Without Really Trying.

More
Old 13 Nov 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3940481)   #5673
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I must say you chaps certainly find some fascinating topics to pas the timer with.

Trailers I Have Towed. Adventures With A Ball Hitch. How to Swap Ends Without Really Trying.

More
I dont have any decent trailer stories but there was the time I drove an RN Frigate into Serbian territorial waters, when we were (sort of) in armed conflict (not allowed to say “war” any more) with them. NATO said that we had the right of hot pursuit against arms smugglers; They had threatened to retaliate with missiles if we did encroach. Oops. Actually it was a navigation cock up!!!!
Old 13 Nov 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3940484)   #5674
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For a young one like me it certainly is nice looking at all the stories from you all.

Hope to have some (and some not ) stories to tell one day.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 23:42 (Ref:3940497)   #5675
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I had a "bloke" (for want of a better word) decide to pull out of a road at night to my left tight behind my van, without noticing that I was towing a trailer and race car !!!
That was "interesting" and caused a fair bit of damage to his car ! but fortunately I only had to change a wheel on the trailer to continue to the meeting.
Closed Thread