Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 28 May 2003, 19:57 (Ref:612832)   #1
pacmstom
Rookie

pacmstom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NZ Motorsport - What direction should it be taking?

For all you New Zealanders out there (and others interested in NZ Motorsport), we would like to hear your opinions on the following issue ...

Where do you think NZ motorsport should be heading over the next five years?
Why do you think this and how will it get there?

(We appreciate this is a very broad topic but it is intended to be.)
Old 29 May 2003, 09:45 (Ref:613274)   #2
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It looks to me as if it is headed down the V8 Touring Cars path with the demise of 2L racing - I don't see this as a problem because the 2L Tourers they used over here were pretty slow compared to overseas series, and didn't create a lot of enthusiasm as a result.
The revised rules and bigger fields of the V8's are a pretty good substitute for the Aussie V8's considering they are much cheaper to build and run, and they seem to be attracting a growing number of fans. Good luck to them I reckon.

The Porsche Cup is a nice series as well, bit of variety and plenty of speed there too. Of course, some of the most fun racing is the Super GT series, but that's understandably not a MSNZ official event.
Old 29 May 2003, 09:48 (Ref:613280)   #3
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is Super GT and what cars run in it.?
Old 29 May 2003, 11:28 (Ref:613386)   #4
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Super GT's are a more official form of the GT class we have seen previously around NZ. It's pretty much an anything goes category, with anything from Owen Evans' awesomely fast Porsche Le Mans (which can run around Pukekohe as quick as a V8 Supercar) to 7 litre Camaros, Mustangs, TVRs and anything else that can do a reasonably quick lap. There are a couple of photos of them on the site (http://www.nzmotorsport.co.nz/conten...cfm.cfm?ps=301) - go take a look some time, they're hugely entertaining.
Old 29 May 2003, 19:10 (Ref:613986)   #5
pacmstom
Rookie

NZ has always been proud of it's innovation and sometimes radicalism (if there is such a word). The offical (Motorsport NZ) direction will have to be the V8 touring cars. They need to provide the stepping stones for NZ drivers to progress to accessable international competitions.

However, to avoid falling into the trap of having NZ rules and regulations dictated by overseas forces, NZ must also develop a showpiece that it can claim to be it's own.

Is racing Formula Fords for the Grand Prix providing the developing Kiwi drivers the right stepping stone for future single-seater racing and also branding NZ motorsport appropriately?

Perhaps, as suggested by other motorsport writers, NZ needs to provide much greater support for innovative motorsport promoters. The question is: Should this support come from Motorsport NZ, Government or from regional councils?
Old 30 May 2003, 08:13 (Ref:614473)   #6
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Run some Aussie V8 Supercars, to validate the impossible claim that TKR is a NZ-based team
Old 30 May 2003, 09:26 (Ref:614516)   #7
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goat Boy
Thanks for the link, very interesting. I remember the Halliday brothers racing at Calder with their Capri in the 70's.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 20:39 (Ref:618348)   #8
augt
Rookie

augt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey there fellow Kiwis and foreigners

I'm very much n00b to motorsport, however, I've been following both the F1 and WRC circuits since the beginning of the year and im a now a avid follower of motorsport.

I think over the next 5 years, WRC may pick up, with the Propecia Rally. Heaps of talent here in this circuit.

[QUOTE]The question is: Should this support come from Motorsport NZ, Government or from regional councils?

Well I think Government should put a bit more of a monetary emphasis on NZ Motorsport. Jeepers, whats up with monetary support Team NZ are getting on the next Americas Cup campaign. That money could be put to good use in motorsport. Maybe setup more driving institutions, support for Propecia Rally, and the list goes on (maybe you could add somemore suggestions).
Old 3 Jun 2003, 22:28 (Ref:619765)   #9
pacmstom
Rookie

Hi augt,

If the government/regional council is presented with a proposal that ensures a highly marketable motorsport product with export potential and an attraction for investors, then they would have to consider the proposal in the same light as they have the Am Cup. If not, then any arguments for treating the Am Cup as a commercial investment vs a sporting investment, wouldn't wash.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 11:05 (Ref:625554)   #10
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Kiwi's, do you guys still have migets and sprint cars at western springs.
If not where have they gone?
Ted Tracy and Barry Butterworth both these guys could drive.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 18:04 (Ref:626208)   #11
pacmstom
Rookie

Sure do Dr Venom. I also enjoyed the days of following Tracy and Butterworth as a kid. I don't follow it so much anymore - more of the tarmac/rally formats now. Guys like Michael Kendall have showed international class over recent years. The official NZ Speedway site is at www.speedway.co.nz if you're interested.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 19:06 (Ref:626288)   #12
eltong
Rookie

New Zealand
Back home in NZ!!!!
eltong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a Kiwi who has been racing over in Europe for the past 4 years I have seen various classes come and go. What would be good is starting up again of the Tasman Cup type races over the summer period. With the likes of the Macua and Korean F3 races and Bathurst 24, it would be nice to make use of the fact that some world class teams and cars are down in the southern hempshere and offer them some races down in NZ.

Possibly making a 4 meeting package which could included a bill including NZ V8 tours, G.T. cars, F3's, FF's, Transams and Formula Vee.

It would also allow some of the home grown talent to compete against the top in there classes.

As a driver, it would also be nice to see the possible reintroduction of the Driver to Europe scheme to help some young drivers to compete in Europe. Possibly something simliar to the McLaren Young Driver Award.

What do you guys think? Particularly the Driver to Europe thing.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 19:50 (Ref:626343)   #13
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"pacmstorm" thanks for the web link i will be trying that later.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 06:17 (Ref:629126)   #14
Zak
Rookie

Zak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon the Driver to Europe would be great, but I'm really disappointed with the fact that our Grand Prix (if you can call it that) is now run with Formula Ford cars. Its pretty sad when you look at the history of the event and the slow decline.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 09:59 (Ref:639910)   #15
steve bang
Rookie

steve bang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Direction for motorsport in nz. Run good competitive classes that the crowds enjoy, nz is always going to follow V8's and truck racing, and the other classes will need to be like transams and control classes so it's door to door exciting with a little rubbing.plus our own star cars of course.seen driver mag this month?