Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Nov 2003, 11:51 (Ref:778714)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BMMC 2004 Membership Renewals

Having just renewed my membership for 2004 with the BMMC I have received my membership card!

It's the same kind of membership card we had before we went over to the "Photo-Card" last/this year!
There was a note attached stating that due to "Technical" reasons, the phot-card would now only be used as a means of identifying grades!

I'm just wondering what was technical about having all your info on the photo-card?

I'm not having a go - but just wondered why we seen to have taken a step backwards again!

Anyone have any answers?

Mark
Old 10 Nov 2003, 12:13 (Ref:778728)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I don't know any 'technical' reasons, but issuing a new photocard every year would be an expensive operation, & rather pointless as the photocard doesn't have an expiry date on it!

If I remember correctly, wasn't it stated right from the start that new photocards would only be issued on upgrading?
Old 10 Nov 2003, 12:29 (Ref:778736)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dave,
As far as I was aware, all members (who submitted a photo) were to be issued with a photo-card/membership/grading card at the start of the 2003 season.
Each year, assuming the member renewed, a sticker with the year of subscription would be sent, rather than issuing a new badge.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 14:41 (Ref:778870)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In order to make sure that membership cards could be issued swiftly as a response to renewal/joining, we have de-coupled the membership card from the photo/grading side of things. This will allow the ID/grading card to be changed/re-issued only as a reaction to a change of grading (or face ).

Regards

Jim Whitaker
Chairman
Midland Region, BMMC.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 09:00 (Ref:780770)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Still haven't got mine yet
Old 12 Nov 2003, 10:34 (Ref:780844)   #6
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
lol still didnt get mine from last year....i dont mind tho....one less photo for ppl to laugh at.....unless theyve got it pinned up in the office....lol...dont need one to get in and marshal....dont necesarily want one....
Old 14 Nov 2003, 12:46 (Ref:783134)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
got 'em!
Old 14 Nov 2003, 19:06 (Ref:783539)   #8
SJC-214
Racer

SJC-214 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still not sure whether its worth renewing, after all it costs me personally more money to be a member of the BMMC than it does to be a member of the BRSCC.

However my membership of the BRSCC entitles me to free entance to the Autosport show each year, a free magazine every other month (which is a 100 times better than the Outpost magazine) and a free meal at the BRSCC NW annual dinner dance in March.

I have always been a member of the BMMC or BMRMC since I started marshalling back in 1988, I just feel that over the last few years the cost of being a member and what you actually get from the club is very poor compared to what it used to be.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 23:21 (Ref:783780)   #9
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SJC- 214 have you spoken to your BMMC committee about your thoughts to see if they have an answer or indeed at least let them give you an answer.
RS
Old 15 Nov 2003, 00:29 (Ref:783831)   #10
SJC-214
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by rzsio396
SJC- 214 have you spoken to your BMMC committee about your thoughts to see if they have an answer or indeed at least let them give you an answer.
RS
No I have not Richard and your probably right I should at least give them the opportunity to answer any critism.

I realise this is probably a controversial issue and I can't comment on other region but IMHO the North West region has gone down hill compared to what it used to be.

Perhaps some of the more enlightened amongst you could actually tell me what the marshals club actually does.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 10:19 (Ref:784157)   #11
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I've not even had a renewal form yet...
I might think of chasing that up soon - it needs to arrive just when I get home so I can put it on the parents' to-do pile
Old 16 Nov 2003, 19:41 (Ref:785152)   #12
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
oh yeh get your parents to pay for it lol....suck em dry y not!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 08:35 (Ref:785534)   #13
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by SJC-214
Still not sure whether its worth renewing...... my membership of the BRSCC entitles me to....... free entance to the Autosport show each year, a free magazine every other month (which is a 100 times better than the Outpost magazine) and a free meal at the BRSCC NW annual dinner dance in March.
The "Free Meal" is not part of the BRSCC Membership! I think you'll find this is a "Thankyou" from the Chief Marshal & the Club to Marshals who have helped to run their race days at Oulton & Anglesey. You don't need to be a member of the BRSCC to qualify!

Free admission to the ASI is a good perk and for the first time I shall be taking advantage of the pass - although I am able to obtain passes from other sources without paying!!
The BRN magazine is OK, but I'm not into reading loads of results from their races and the info is usually out of date - very much like the BMMC Newsletter.
I know various BMMC Committee members start to turn purple when they hear of negative comments towards the mag, but nothing has improved over the years. Generally content is good but by the time we actually get a copy - many of the "Dated" articles have already happened!

As for renewing with the BMMC - I contemplated not doing it for 2003 but then realised that they offer the best insurance scheme for us, so personally I think the membership fee is worth it!

Mark
Old 17 Nov 2003, 10:13 (Ref:785629)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The 'free meal' is normally only allocated to those marshals who have done a certain number of days marshalling for the BRSCC over the course of the year.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 19:59 (Ref:787531)   #15
SJC-214
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
The 'free meal' is normally only allocated to those marshals who have done a certain number of days marshalling for the BRSCC over the course of the year.
That is perfectly true, I apologise that was my mistake.

I also agree with Mark (Mr Observer) the BMMC do provide the best insurance scheme without question and based on that fact alone I will probably renew my membership again.

Mark mentioned the Newsletter and I agree with him this has gone downhill in recent years. It is not a reflection on the Editor (who does a good job) but the Newsletter has taken on a more "professional" look and is now professionally printed. This all takes time and IMHO by the time it gets delivered the news items can be upto 3 months out-of-date e.g the last copy I received was in October but was actually written before the British GP
Old 19 Nov 2003, 11:36 (Ref:788069)   #16
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SJC-214
This all takes time and IMHO by the time it gets delivered the news items can be upto 3 months out-of-date e.g the last copy I received was in October but was actually written before the British GP
The next issue is in progress as we speak. The plan is to send them out on a regular basis (once a month possibly). If you want up to date articles please supply them or any suggestions that you wish to see included each time!! As I am now on the committee for North Region I will at least get your opinions heard and will do my best to action!! BTW thanks for the support at the AGM to those of you who came
Old 19 Nov 2003, 11:46 (Ref:788080)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
And I am now on the committee for the SE Region so the same thoughts apply. There, that's two of us you can talk to!!!
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:32 (Ref:788125)   #18
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Stephen.
I'm on North East committee, that makes at least three you can talk to.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:51 (Ref:788152)   #19
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Jim W is Chairman of Midlands
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:56 (Ref:788169)   #20
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am also and have said many times on these threads on the South East committee so there is plenty of people to talk to.If you want Trackside to have alot in it then get sending in those stories, dates and anything else you want to see in it. Don't keep complaining unless you are going to do something to help or talk to your committee about how you can help or any ideas you have to help things. You are the members so tell us all what you want
RS.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 20:02 (Ref:800644)   #21
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
Still haven't got mine yet
nor me