Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jun 2002, 10:51 (Ref:315966)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 bentleys?

The commentators on Eurosport were talking to derick bell and the possibility of there being 3 Bentley's at le Mans next year came out. It would be great to have 3 of them as without the Audi's, we have a close field and everyone would have a good chance of winning.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 10:56 (Ref:315973)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The rumour amongst the teams at Le Mans was that Audi would not be entering as a factory team next year but they would sell cars to privateers. Apparently Bobby Rahal is set to buy two and Champion and Goh will continue too. This would leave Joest with no cars to run and so they would run a pair of Bentleys alongside two from Apex.

Now I know it is purely a rumour but sometimes things just... well, make sense. Would be kinda fun if it happened but we'll see...!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 13:26 (Ref:316096)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For now, consider the fact that there five Bentley-engined cars in this years race - and they did quite well, too
Wasn't it funny the way Bentley "bent" over backwards to point out that theirs was NOT an Audi engine, and after the end of the race Audi came out with propaganda material that proudly proclaimed "Bentley's engine is an Audi"?!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:35 (Ref:316141)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
The rumour amongst the teams at Le Mans was that Audi would not be entering as a factory team next year but they would sell cars to privateers. Apparently Bobby Rahal is set to buy two and Champion and Goh will continue too.
Keep on the gossips, first we love it, second they make us hold on till the next "main event of the year" !

What a fight it coul be, three work Bentleys and some private Audis...
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:57 (Ref:316159)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
What a fight it coul be, three work Bentleys and some private Audis...
And with MG's which could keep up that pace for the whole 24hrs.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with the MG/Lola project? Is it all over now, or are Lola still going to continue selling customer versions?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:03 (Ref:316161)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
What's the deal with the MG/Lola project? Is it all over now ?
Come on, Guy, gossips, but no bad news !
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:25 (Ref:316176)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage

And with MG's which could keep up that pace for the whole 24hrs.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with the MG/Lola project? Is it all over now, or are Lola still going to continue selling customer versions?
I think there will be customer cars; not sure about the engine, though - will it remain an MG engined package, or will Lola just sell the chassis and accomodate other engines as well?
Some rumours indicate that the works team is now dead.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:43 (Ref:316192)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Some rumours indicate that the works team is now dead.

Last edited by Fab; 18 Jun 2002 at 15:43.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:47 (Ref:316197)   #9
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the MG are now looking at running a GT car. Did they not buy an American company last year?
I am sure that the Lola/MG tie up is finnished but as the car is so quick I think it is imposible that a private team (Hugh C?) does not run one in future events.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:56 (Ref:316208)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
it is imposible that a private team (Hugh C?) does not run one in future events.
Unfortunately, the private Nighthawk was far from beeing as fast as the work ones...
Old 18 Jun 2002, 16:00 (Ref:316211)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, in the ALMS there's already the Intersport version (John Field et al) who are a good privateer team. Apparently Dyson is on the list of purchasers and are one of the best privateers over here (they're still running R&S MkIIIa competitively right now). Rand racing is also purchasing one. That makes 4 over in North America. My guess is that at the very least Dyson will enter next year, along with Knighthawk.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Jun 2002, 16:01 (Ref:316212)   #12
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you think public support could encourage MG to rethink their pullout?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 16:09 (Ref:316216)   #13
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Do you think public support could encourage MG to rethink their pullout?
No
Unless there is better TV coverage I think the LMP car is dead and buried, a GT car on the other hand may have better appeal and would be cheaper with a bigger market for copys.

Knighthawk did a pretty good job in Sebring.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 16:31 (Ref:316225)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chamberlain's looking at running a Touring Car in either the ETCC or BTCC next year.

MG's withdrawal isn't confirmed yet, if they do they will be back by 2004 I reckon, with their GT car. But MG's aim is to supply affordable cars to privateers, so maybe a works team is unlikely. It's a pity the cars didn't finish this year, but I believe they've been trying to take too much out of that car, it was leading comfartably, maybe reliability should be addressed by the teams running the cars next year.

And here's the prototype of the car that will eventually become the GT Car:
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:08 (Ref:316357)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
I heard the MG are now looking at running a GT car. Did they not buy an American company last year?
The MG X80 is based on the Qvale Mangusta, née De Tomaso Mangusta. That car (or something shaped like it) runs in TransAm right now; MG would only have to stick their badge on it, and they'd have an American racing programme.
MG are biting off more than they can chew right now - all this talk about Indy engines and GTs and...
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:12 (Ref:316367)   #16
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Chamberlain's looking at running a Touring Car in either the ETCC or BTCC next year.
What was Huge Hugh's involvement in CMS this year - I rhought he had left the team to run the Kondo Dome? Suddenly, there he was, in X-Power team gear.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:16 (Ref:316371)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Chamberlain Motorsport was running that car I believe. I thought that was his old team and that he'd left to form CMS ? If so, obviously MG followed him to the new team whilst Chamberlain got the Kondo deal ?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:32 (Ref:316389)   #18
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
CMS is owned by this man called Cunningham, no?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:54 (Ref:316415)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote from Autosports Le Mans guide:

Quote:
The Chamberlain Motor Sport squad is another unknown. Despite the presence of stalwart team boss Hugh Chamberlain on the pit wall, this is not the same team that ran the cars last year. What's more, it was put together in a hurry during the spring, a result of uncertainity over who would run the factory MGs at La Sarthe.
I've been getting mixed up then..so the team has split since last year?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 20:18 (Ref:316449)   #20
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 Audis, 3 Bentleys, a couple of MGs, maybe some Judds and Cadillacs, it'll be interesting to watch next year. Just 362 days to go, bah.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 00:16 (Ref:316597)   #21
The Accomplice
Rookie

The Accomplice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard this evening from someone involved in the MG Le Mans program that there will be no more MG at Le Mans.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 05:43 (Ref:316690)   #22
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by hgb
5 Audis, 3 Bentleys, a couple of MGs, maybe some Judds and Cadillacs, it'll be interesting to watch next year. Just 362 days to go, bah.
And some Pescarolo cars, hope with (more efficient) Peugeot engines !

Pity they were not faster ... I liked the shape and color...
Old 19 Jun 2002, 10:19 (Ref:316810)   #23
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
I've been getting mixed up then..so the team has split since last year?
Yes it has. Chamberlain et al. have left. Why he was back with them this year I have no idea. His team took care of the Kondo car.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 10:26 (Ref:316819)   #24
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Now that MG will not have an CART program next year, hopefully a GT project is now more likey.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 12:15 (Ref:316903)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone know why Bentley cut the team down to 1 car for this year. I can see the logic of 1 car for a first year, but not cutting down from a 2 to 1 car entry for the 2nd.

In order to have a chance of a win at Le Mans, you need to enter at least a 2 car team.IMO.