Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Feb 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3369702)   #1
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
12 Hours of Sebring - Test

Since testing starts this week and I could not find a recent thread to talk about Sebring, I thought I'd start one.

Any thoughts/predictions on how DP's will perform with the extra bits on them compared to LMP2 (yes, it's a heated topic!)

What about GTD and GTLM?

I've been to Sebring twice in the last 5 years. I've always enjoyed it immensely. I'm not going this year but I wonder how it will do with the changes.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3369719)   #2
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Since testing starts this week and I could not find a recent thread to talk about Sebring, I thought I'd start one.

Any thoughts/predictions on how DP's will perform with the extra bits on them compared to LMP2 (yes, it's a heated topic!)

What about GTD and GTLM?

I've been to Sebring twice in the last 5 years. I've always enjoyed it immensely. I'm not going this year but I wonder how it will do with the changes.
Other than missing the best cars there won't really be much difference. PC is the same as ever and GTLM is the same cars and teams that have been putting on barn burners for years. GTD is a considerable improvement over Porsche cup and the cars should work fine. DPs will race each other and keep the track from being empty between GTLM battles. I suspect they'll be terrible on the bumps, maybe tunable, but probably reliable and most likely will fulfill their mandate by winning overall. P2 will be there to make the top class look like a class. The facility, weather and crowd will be their usual wonderful selves. I fear the marshalling will be GA which would be the second big negative.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 14:00 (Ref:3369722)   #3
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Other than missing the best cars there won't really be much difference. PC is the same as ever and GTLM is the same cars and teams that have been putting on barn burners for years. GTD is a considerable improvement over Porsche cup and the cars should work fine. DPs will race each other and keep the track from being empty between GTLM battles. I suspect they'll be terrible on the bumps, maybe tunable, but probably reliable and most likely will fulfill their mandate by winning overall. P2 will be there to make the top class look like a class. The facility, weather and crowd will be their usual wonderful selves. I fear the marshalling will be GA which would be the second big negative.
I'm reserving judgement on the P2 vs DP thing. I think it was known that DP's would do well at Daytona, the real question in my mind is the reliability of DP at Sebring (did DP's EVER compete on such a bumpy surface for so long?). They'll probably be fine.

On the LMP2 thing, Elkins needs to demonstrate to LMP2 teams not currently competing that they can win, otherwise I'd expect most P2 teams to vanish from the grid next year let alone any new entrants (that discussion is really for another thread).

We'll know more once the test is complete of course.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3369730)   #4
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Sebring will determine whether they are serious about BOP or whether they are following 'the script'. Hopefully, the cars are balanced as the series will then have validity. If not...
Old 18 Feb 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3369739)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regardless of the equivalence between P2 and DP, DP will likely win sebring based on numbers alone. Pickett and Oak have a legitimate shot, and maybe the 1 ESM, but there are 5 or 6 DP's that have a real shot. Given all the things that can happen with that many cars on track, the odds of a DP having a trouble free run are greater than a P2 doing the same.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3369765)   #6
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Risi expected to be back in action for Sebring. More here from John Dagys.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3369821)   #7
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Risi expected to be back in action for Sebring. More here from John Dagys.
That is good news. I hope Malucelli's well over his concussion (or as well as anyone can be).
Old 18 Feb 2014, 19:08 (Ref:3369827)   #8
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list for Sebring 12 Hours has been posted:

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...try%20List.pdf

68 total entries
Old 18 Feb 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3369829)   #9
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Sebring entry list is out: 68 cars, 18 P, 11 PC, 12 GTLM, 27 GTD. Aston-Martin is on the list in GTLM, as is a surprise entry in P: the #24 Millennium Racing Oreca-Nissan. The second BAR1 Motorsports PC car is also on the entry list.

Entry list is here.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3369843)   #10
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Sebring entry list is out: 68 cars, 18 P, 11 PC, 12 GTLM, 27 GTD. Aston-Martin is on the list in GTLM, as is a surprise entry in P: the #24 Millennium Racing Oreca-Nissan. The second BAR1 Motorsports PC car is also on the entry list.

Entry list is here.
Missing from Daytona: 99 Corvette DP, 65 Ferrari 458 GTD, 72 Ferarri 458

New entries not at Daytona: 24 Oreca Nissan (Millenium), 88 Oreca FLM (2nd Bar1), 13 Rum Bum Porsche 911 America
Old 18 Feb 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3369848)   #11
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Missing from Daytona: 99 Corvette DP, 65 Ferrari 458 GTD, 72 Ferarri 458

New entries not at Daytona: 24 Oreca Nissan (Millenium), 88 Oreca FLM (2nd Bar1), 13 Rum Bum Porsche 911 America
The #65 Scuderia Corsa Via Italia Racing and #72 SMP/ESM Racing Ferraris were quite clearly Daytona-only entries.

The #13 Rum Bum Porsche isn’t exactly new, more like a rebranding of the #58 Snow Racing car that was at Daytona.

Also Team Falken Tire in GTLM and JDC/Miller Motorsports in PC will be at Sebring but weren’t at Daytona. (Plus the Millenium Oreca Nissan and the 2nd Bar 1 car obviously.)
Old 18 Feb 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3369860)   #12
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The #24 Millenium Oreca is not really a surprise. This effort was announced before Daytona and is being run by Delta-ADR and Action Express. From back in November: http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/de...ytona-sebring/

The real surprise will be if the #9 Action Express car shows up with Delta/Coyote bodywork.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3369884)   #13
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownj View Post
The #24 Millenium Oreca is not really a surprise. This effort was announced before Daytona and is being run by Delta-ADR and Action Express. From back in November: http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/de...ytona-sebring/

The real surprise will be if the #9 Action Express car shows up with Delta/Coyote bodywork.
I'm a little surprised. I though the Millenium Oreca would replace the #9 AEX car, not be in addition to it.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3369908)   #14
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I'm a little surprised. I though the Millenium Oreca would replace the #9 AEX car, not be in addition to it.
Delta-ADR’s inteions certainly weren’t completely clear previously. In part that was because the nominal full-season/NAEC entry list that came out in early December had Sebring maxed out in theory at 68 cars (plus several potential full-seasons entries on the reserve list), so it wasn’t obvious that AEX + Delta-ADR could get the third car in the race if they wanted to. So possibly the #24 got in because of the GAINSCO situation.

What’s still not known is whether there were additional cars that wanted to race at Sebring and IMSA turned them down because of the 68 car grid cap or whether exactly 68 applied.

Last edited by TheMightyM; 18 Feb 2014 at 23:41. Reason: Spelling
Old 18 Feb 2014, 23:33 (Ref:3369913)   #15
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aston are now listed as running on E85, like the other GTE Teams, instead of the IMSA regular fuel.

this will help them on refueling

Last edited by TheDude; 18 Feb 2014 at 23:42.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 03:10 (Ref:3369936)   #16
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Aston are now listed as running on E85, like the other GTE Teams, instead of the IMSA regular fuel.

I've been meaning to ask this in past year or so. How come GTE cars are the only ones running E85 now? Some of the P teams used to use it, but have all switched to E10.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 03:41 (Ref:3369941)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

I wonder if this is a typo. If not then they should expect a later tank size as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
I've been meaning to ask this in past year or so. How come GTE cars are the only ones running E85 now? Some of the P teams used to use it, but have all switched to E10.
It might be just team preference, but I imagine the gtd and p teams don't get the choice anymore.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 03:44 (Ref:3369942)   #18
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
DP's never ran on E85, they ran on Sunoco's version of E10 that NASCAR uses. IMSA wanted to keep VP as fuel supplier and the E10 was reintroduced and standardized to make BOP easier in Prototypes.

AMR didn't run on E85 because the WEC uses Shell E10 for all gasoline engined cars.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3370161)   #19
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/st...dp-at-sebring/
Starworks will be the first user of the Honda DP engine, starting here at Sebring
Old 19 Feb 2014, 19:56 (Ref:3370171)   #20
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/st...dp-at-sebring/
Starworks will be the first user of the Honda DP engine, starting here at Sebring
Cool to see it confirmed I supposed. Although there's countless things I'd rather see HPD spend their resources on.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 04:36 (Ref:3370263)   #21
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Excited.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 04:44 (Ref:3370264)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I cant distinguish the dp's makes. I only know one looks like a corvette somewhat and there is the one that the ganassi crew runs. Im not sure if there is any other types, but DP isn't the class I like. If the hpd had some honda look alike bodywork thatd go so much further to add diversity. I think right now if theres no p2 being up there to fight for the lead, its just a side show. GTE or LM is much more interesting. Glad Aston will be back for Sebring, even if people think theyre crying for help. The more the merrier imo.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 06:01 (Ref:3370277)   #23
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Cool to see it confirmed I supposed. Although there's countless things I'd rather see HPD spend their resources on.
It is a customer program aimed not only at DPs but at the future 'P' class as well. Not really what I would call 'spending their resources', but rather an investment.

L.P.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 07:04 (Ref:3370282)   #24
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
The racing withdrawal for the last few days has been killing me!

This is very exciting -- can't wait to see the new Falken Porsche in the flesh. Anyone else from Tenths going to see the event?

I'm driving in and out of St. Pete every day from March 12-15... a bit of a long drive for every single day but Sebring's worth it. First time for me.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 10:15 (Ref:3370317)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Have any of the DP chassis ever passed a crash test ?

Tags
sebring