Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 17 Nov 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1462874)   #26
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You may increase mass but you reduce inertia with a smaller diameter
Old 17 Nov 2005, 03:36 (Ref:1462880)   #27
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
understood,but if you reduce the effective diameter of the clutch plate/s, the 100%[?] torque transmitted at the flywheel[see my earlier post] becomes a weaker point.??
Old 17 Nov 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1462970)   #28
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny yuma
Would not 100% of the torque always go through the flywheel no matter how many clutchplates then shared the later friction and torque transfer to the gearbox? This being the case I could see an alloy flywheel giving srructural/heat problems on big torque engines.
yeah ok, yes all the torque does go through the flywheel,

which is why normally alloy flywheels need a steel insert for the clutch to run on

BUT with a multi plate clutch not all the torque goes through the clutch face of the flywheel, hense that fact that Als triple plate organic jobbie can get away without the steel insert, that would never work with just a single plate or a sintered clutch though

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 17 Nov 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1463028)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
When you get off the gas on the V8 with the McCloued or the Tilton the engine nigh on stops dead, engine braking is immense and you have to be careful not to lock the rears up, the gear changing especially with the Muncie truck range of gearboxes is improved however. If you are at a CTRCC or even a ModProd meeting next year I will rev it up especially for you :-). Oh Graham on the 10,000 rpm job not only is the flywheel alloy but also the pressure plate!

RobC has threatened to come round my house shortly to purchase some Autogas gear I have so he can give you a good feed back on the fleet :-).
Old 17 Nov 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1463159)   #30
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Oh Graham on the 10,000 rpm job not only is the flywheel alloy but also the pressure plate!

:-).
that figures, whats good for the goose is good for the ganda

Old 17 Nov 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1463237)   #31
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
It just occured to me that with a high revving engine, there isn't as much torque to deal with at the clutch friction face and mounting ring for a given power output. I would have thought that would make it much easier to get away with an all alloy flywheel, and with a small two/three plate clutch fitted the steel running face could probably be left out as well.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1463263)   #32
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
i see where your coming from d type, although i would say that even a high reving big V8 still has lots of torque, the thing that allows Al's million rpm (ok i know its not a million before you all start on me) to work is the organic lining

Old 17 Nov 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1463323)   #33
Goran Malmberg
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm Sweden
Goran Malmberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Engine Tq is not anything of a problem with an aluminium flywheel. I got a 8,7 litre Hemi motor and ahve been punisching the same flywheel for 10 years. I changed the steel friction surface twice as it become distorted of overheating from slipping clutch. This was a 10" single disc.
I now made my own doubble disc 8 incher and newer had any problem.
I stacked two diaphragm springs on top of each other to get pressure enough. Flywheel is 15 p, not very much concidering the engine size.

Even if aluminium vs steel strengh is close, we got more material thickness with the same weight that support stability. There are a few images om my site with the burnt flywheel. If anyone like some more info
about my clutch buildup just give me a mail.
http://hem.passagen.se/hemipanter/
Goran Malmberg
Old 17 Nov 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1463358)   #34
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
wow, thats quite a car and webpage you've got there goran

Old 17 Nov 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1463397)   #35
Goran Malmberg
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm Sweden
Goran Malmberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
wow, thats quite a car and webpage you've got there goran
Thanks!
Goran
Old 17 Nov 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1463514)   #36
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, don't doubt it Graham, Goran's mechanicals are

Interesting point about the stability there Goran. Aly alloy is generally taken to be about 1/2 the strength but 1/3 the weight of steel. That means that if you make the object twice as thick, its just as strong, but still 1/3 lighter. That's a benefit in itself, but if we did torsional and flexure rigidity calculations, the aly would come out ahead. Essentially, in bending, twice the thickness gives eight times the ridgidity, which also means the resonance frequencies will be way higher as well.

Hmm... alloy flywheels are sounding better and better... but I'd still find that fatigue threshold worrying. I'd be much more worried about surface defects, stress concentrations and stress raisers on an alloy flywheel
Old 17 Nov 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1463534)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
So why not consider a button clutch and an auto flex plate dType, a jag flex plate must be a dime a dozen.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1463565)   #38
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
If anyone had suggested it before I did my last rebuild I might well have. It's just something I'd never heard of. If and when my latest investment disintegrates, or I win the lottery, I'll look into it in detail.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1463637)   #39
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GORAN your car site looks like it can answer every question I ever had and raise a whole lot of new ones! thanks. yuma,j. ABBA -- gotta lovem too!!
Old 28 Nov 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1472273)   #40
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best lightweight flywheels are manufactured by Fidanza, but not sure if they are currently available for your application.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1475415)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
top site, and very nice guitars ! :clap:

back on topic, QEP do a lot of Pug stuff, and I've seen some very nice steel faced ally flywheels there, I'm thinking about designing one for my car sometime
Old 4 Dec 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1476838)   #42
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, everybody seems aware of the potential risk of flywheel explosions, last year, a friend of mine had a Pinto pressure plate shatter and exit thru the bonnet, I dont ever remember seeing anyone advertising a STEEL pressure plate,
Ian
Old 4 Dec 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1476947)   #43
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I would say the better quality race ones are steel, the Tilton looks a quality machined piece not a casting and the McCloeud are similiar. Maybe if you use a road type clutch you should use a steel grenade proof bell housing or a scatter blanket like used in Drag Racing..